REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
BlacknTan

Favorite LL Bean items

BlacknTan

Confession.. I've been an LL Bean-o-phile for decades. I can't think of anything I've bought from them that I did not like, and did not wear well. Nothing has changed in all that time, but there are items that stand out for me, and that I just will not get anywhere else.

1. The River Driver shirts. Basically the old double layer Duo-Fold shirt in the River drivers pattern. I live in these from Fall until Spring. I have probably a half dozen now, since getting two new ones at Christmas. The older ones have holes and tears, but they're still wearable. I plan on being buried in my favorite old red one, the one in the worst condition... But, I was horrified Christmas morning when I cut the tags off, and realized that these cost $55 each.... Yikes, I need to get out more!

2. The original Chamois Shirt. Again, at least a half dozen in various states of wear. I do everything in them, or everything I do anymore, which does not include evenings at the Waldorf, so I never really feel out of place. Put it over a River driver, or if it's really cold, a T shirt, River Driver, and Chamois Shirt with the collar up, and I'm good for most anything!

3. Maine Hunting Shoes ... The boots I love to hate! They're cold in the snow, hard to get on and off, a PITA to lace, (I wear the 12"), and could be a bit wider. In spite of all their shortcomings, I've worn out a number of pairs. Have two pairs now, and one due to go back for re-soles.

4. Ragg wool socks ... I only wear them on the coldest days, but when I need 'em, I want 'em!

There are more items. but, for me these are my "go-to's"

Any other Bean lovers out there? And, what are your favorites?

Flairball

There are quite a few LLB items I am dedicated to. 

1) Merino wool socks. 

2) Waterfowlers sweater vest. 

3) Lambs wool v- neck sweater. I believe these have been discontinued. 

4) Northweave shirts. Also, discontinued, I believe. 

5) Wool pants. 

oak stob

Not sure what the official marketing names are now or how the products have been “improved” or even remain offered but the green uninsulated hunting coat is swell. Three pheasants will fit in the back game bag but more is problematic and tuggy.

Swell also are the green and very lightweight faced hunting pants along with the technical upland shirt with the verticle zippered pockets.....mushroom is a great color.

Slip-on Bean mocs

In the past and from a remberance from the other day, the bean briar pipes were nifty, if a little rough.

Ditto on B&Ts #1 and #2.

Hard to find a negative tho their suspenders are not my favorite.

bjorn240

Maine hunting shoe.  

Canoe moc. 

Chamois shirt. 

Pa’tridge Vest. 

Flairball
1 hour ago, oak stob said:

.......the technical upland shirt with the verticle zippered pockets.....mushroom is a great color.

Good call on the shirt. I’d forgotten. Very good shirt. 

Their fleece lined PJ bottoms, and flannel bath robe are actually my favorite rainy day in grouse camp wear. 

sprocket

I have a pair of slippers with rubber soles - had them for more than a decade, love them but the pup may make me get a new pair yet...

River Driver shirt - just got one - Hoe Lee Fawk - will start looking for more, yes - do love this item

I have a union suit in black - it's not merino or duofold - poly prop I think but yeah, it sees use.  I see a red duofold coming in when I can find one.

Sweaters - they have some different types - I have a military styled one with shoulder/elbow patches - its a piece of gear not clothing.  I also have a high collar thing I used a lot, torn elbow, needs repair.

I bought a set of shirts about 10 years ago - all the same style, just different colors - wear them all and they still look as new

I'm no poster boy but I'm a fan - notice no pants or waders...

Oh - the coat my Mom bought Dad for his wedding back in '56 - still have and wear that one too.  Find a pic of my new boy and it on here somewhere.  My face leaks sometimes when I wear it.

paul s

The waterfowlers wool sweater is my favorite llbean item by far

bjorn240

Oh yeah the Norwegian sweater - the old 80/20 blend one.  That is a good sweater. 

Remo

Northweave shirts are my favorite. Wear them pretty much fall through spring. Maine hunting boots for winter. A Bean product I really miss is the Maine Guide Shoe, a green canvas rubber soled tennis-type shoe. They were great for fishing. My old Bean canvas hunting coat is good too. I didn't like their new entries for hunting coats.

sprocket

I can document my Dad's coat - If they made it again, I'd buy one.  If they made a liner for it I'd buy one of those too.

rudyc

I bought a pair of moose hide "chopper mitts" from them back in the late 70's, have gone through a couple of pair of liners, but the mitts are still going strong. I lather them up every fall with Montana Pitch Blend. Great for ice fishing and general winter hiking. Easy on, easy off.

Don Steese

Have a pair of all wool Bean bib overalls that I've been wearing for deer hunting for probably 20 years or more. Like em' a lot!  Loved the original, silver, guaranteed to rip out a seam, Technical Upland Boots. The uninsulated ones. Most comfortable boots I've ever worn!  

NW River Mac

I like Bean's stuff a lot.  

Cresta Hikers - like a slipper out of the box and lasts forever

North Weave shirts

Dress Shirts

Irishwhistler

SPRUCE GUM in the little boxes at the registers back in the original building.  Any o' ye old farts remember it?

Mikey 🍀

Dave Quindt

I've bought a whole bunch of stuff from Bean over the last few years or so; far more than I had in the previous two decades.

But after Friday's announcement I might just need to spend my money elsewhere going forward.  The hypocrisy that LL Bean will sell a 20 year old a pair of Maine hunting boots, a Maine hunting license but not a box of shells to go grouse hunting with is incredibly disappointing.  The fact that the sporting community has said virtually nothing about this is equally frustrating.

LL Bean has decided winning some good press among soccer moms and Bean boot-wearing millennials is worth throwing sportsmen under the bus.  I could say much more, but won't.