REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
BlacknTan

Favorite LL Bean items

hayslope

“Duckies” 

George Foster

I have been doing business with Beans for over 50yrs now and my father bought a lot of stuff there long before me.  My favorite item has always been the Maine Hunting Shoe, but I wear their vests for grouse hunting along with their briar pants and shirts also.  In the not to distant past I have worn their leather hunting gloves and I still have three pair of them.  I wear their chino pants for my everyday wear in my business and I have a bunch of their oxford shirts.

I personally am not upset with them for their announcement, it may well be not popular with some but I would almost guarantee some who are upset about it probably never were loyal customers anyhow.  That said I will be their customer for as long as I am alive.

BlacknTan

I agree with George...

Without getting political, I've got five grandchildren in school, and I don't feel that ole LL has thrown me under the bus one bit..

Flairball
6 minutes ago, George Foster said:

I personally am not upset with them for their announcement, it may well be not popular with some but I would almost guarantee some who are upset about it probably never were loyal customers anyhow.  That said I will be their customer for as long as I am alive.

I agree. I’ve seen the gun room at the Freeport location. The only LL Bean gun room. Not a lot of 18-20 year olds looking at guns behind glass, or RST ammo. LL Bean is less than a trickle in the gun market. Their announcement means almost nothing. 

Harry

Bean double L polo shirts

Bean double L t-shirts

Bean double L pants

Bean double L jeans

Bean technical hunting pants

Bean small game vest

Bean big down winter coat

Bean chocolate covered blueberries

The Bean boot should be required to wear a hazard to your health sticker. Cold, no arch or ankle support and much the same as wearing skis on a slippery surface. The Bean chain tread is  more like a bald tire on ice than something that should be on a boot. Most hideous pair of boots ever made. I know, I know you can sneak along like an Indian and feel every little rock, stick and ground undulation. Amazing how I managed to kill anything in better boots.

Brad Eden

IMG_0557.GIF

POTENTIAL POLITICAL MODERATOR WATCH

Im not Moderating any Gun Control/Political Content. Please refrain or this Topic will be edited or removed. I offered the opportunity with a Dedicated Gun Control Forum several years back and it imploded. Never again. UJ can't solve all Upland issues and problems. This is a general warning and I am not pointing out any particular Member so no need to Message me or comment. Thank you.

BlacknTan
7 minutes ago, Harry said:

The Bean boot should be required to wear a hazard to your health sticker. Cold, no arch or ankle support and much the same as wearing skis on a slippery surface. The Bean chain tread is  more like a bald tire on ice than something that should be on a boot. Most hideous pair of boots ever made. I know, I know you can sneak along like an Indian and feel every little rock, stick and ground undulation. Amazing how I managed to kill anything in better boots.

This is funny! Unfortunately, I agree!!

Harry

The Bean boot is barely ok for walking around in the back yard. As long as the grass isn't wet.

But hey!!!! You can get them resoled for life. One best be a cat if they plan to survive that.

lee sykes

I am not one for exact product names but I love the lightweight, kangaroo skin hunting boots and the Rockport shoes. I like the canvas field coat and have been through more than I can count.  I like the Bean boots for walking on the forest floor but agree that they are dangerous on ice and packed snow but most boots are.  That's why they sell grippers.  I did buy one of the original Bean New Englander Shotguns back when they were Sig imported B. Rizzinis.  Not as pretty as the newer version by Guerini but it has served me well for 15 years.  

oak stob

In 1960, I bought a Hardy Boys book at Bean’s...I still remember the creaking wooden steps leading upstairs.

jeff88

Bean's stowaway, gore tex parka is the best thing I bought from them and I have a lot of their products.  It's windproof and waterproof shell that I can wear by itself or with layers underneath.  It's used as a downhill ski parka with fleece under it down to a nice lightweight jacket over a tee or polo.  18 years old and is like new. 

Also have thirty year old wool sock slippers that I can't seem to kill off, holes and all.  I have another pair of their slippers to use when my wife is around as these older ones look a bit ragged, perfect for hunting camp.   Their upland hunting pants are all I wear.  My son inherited a long worn mesh topped upland vest when I won a Mother strap vest on the UJ auction.  Their upland bird knife with the gut hook is what I carry for bird hunting.  My bean shirt collection for outdoors consists of hurricane shirts to chamois -- all very nicely made.  (No shirt is better than the Pittsburg, NH hurricane shirt I found up there.)  My 1st bean product was the blucher moccasin when I was in high school which almost made it all the way through college.  Currently am monitoring their "sale" site for tropical weight cargo pants and hiking boots.  Also got to their store in 2000 while in ME for a family vacation.  Wife and kids were not wild about going, then I couldn't get them out of the place.  

Harry is spot on, the bean boot is a disaster if you ever tried to hunt on a snowy hill side.  Sent a pair back in exchange for other goodies.  

Harry

For a pack boot it is hard to beat the Schnee Hunter II with an air-bob sole. Like running a new set of Blizzaks on the truck. 

Harry

“Wicked good.”xD

WMassGriff

Have lots of LLBean Hunting Clothing, boots, shirts, jackets etc. Love their BriarProof Pants with Tickcuff but now they are discontinued! Guess if it isn't "Technical" it doesn't sell! Just visited the Freeport Store to stock up on RST's and found out all the Briarproof Pants with Tickcuff have been sent to the outlet stores!

Don Steese

I have never understood why the Bean boot was so wildly popular??  Probably the most ill conceived, uncomfortable piece of footwear ever created.