REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
BlacknTan

Favorite LL Bean items

WMassGriff

Love the Bean Boots for canoeing, stillhunting, and spring turkey hunting. Not so much in snow on side hills!

jeff88
3 minutes ago, Don Steese said:

I have never understood why the Bean boot was so wildly popular??  Probably the most ill conceived, uncomfortable piece of footwear ever created. 

Don, I believe it's that there was nothing like it in its day.  It was purpose built to keep feet dry and warm at once.  It gained a great rep that didn't go away.  Boot technology has eclipsed the bean boot but it sure took a while.  

Remo
2 hours ago, Harry said:

The Bean boot should be required to wear a hazard to your health sticker. Cold, no arch or ankle support and much the same as wearing skis on a slippery surface. The Bean chain tread is  more like a bald tire on ice than something that should be on a boot. Most hideous pair of boots ever made. I know, I know you can sneak along like an Indian and feel every little rock, stick and ground undulation. Amazing how I managed to kill anything in better boots.

An airbob sole would be a terrific option and they would likely out sell the chain tread. ARE YOU LISTENING BEAN? As for the rest I'm always switching arch supports anyway. I don't like insulated cold weather boots so just add 1 pair of heavy wool socks if necessary.

Don Steese
1 hour ago, jeff88 said:

Don, I believe it's that there was nothing like it in its day.  It was purpose built to keep feet dry and warm at once.  It gained a great rep that didn't go away.  Boot technology has eclipsed the bean boot but it sure took a while.  

I can understand the concept but how many creeks does one cross that won't come over the top of the rubber part and if it's that shallow you can probably step across it??  Even wet grass will get you a wet foot if it's over five inches tall??

oak stob

re the rubber-bottom Bean hunting footwear......not sure why a product needs to be all things to all people under all conditions.

I reckon a tomato might pass that high of a bar but then, there are yellow and red maters and proponets of each.

Tough life to be a product today...and a business.

Bean has mine.....when the boot fits.

Fin2Feather

1) Slippers; I have the felt lined rubber soled ones (I wear through the felt inside almost immediately but I love 'em; I think I'm on my third pair).  I also have the Wicked Good fur lined, depending on the temp indoors.

2) My old canvas hunting coat with removable wool liner is a bit tight on me, but I'll never get rid of it as they don't make it any more.  If they did I'd buy one in a heartbeat.  Don't care much for the current product.

3) My 16" Maine Guide Shoes.  Every negative thing said about them here is true.  I love them anyway.

I also like the fact that you can always find traditionally-styled men's clothing -  shirts, pants, sweaters, shoes, et al in decent quality and at pretty reasonable prices compared to most stores.  I'm disappointed that they've changed their guarantee but I understand why they did if people were abusing it like they say. Customer for life. 

Harry

Nor is it that hard to be a good boot these days.

It doesn't take a snowy hillside to put one on their way down with Bean boots. Wet grass works fine and mud perhaps even better.

jeff88
30 minutes ago, Don Steese said:

I can understand the concept but how many creeks does one cross that won't come over the top of the rubber part and if it's that shallow you can probably step across it??  Even wet grass will get you a wet foot if it's over five inches tall??

Agree, the rubber part is not highly effective particularly in this application ^ .  But for prolonged exposure to snow and wet conditions, it probably kept one in better shape than boots of it's day.   My point is that bean had a one-of-a-kind offering compared to anyone else.  It still sells boatloads of these boots in a lot of different styles.  

When I started doing a bit of upland hunting I was doing a lot more backpacking at the time so my boots were Vasque hiking boots, not traditional hunting boots.  My hunting buddies usually wore moccasin toed classic hunting boots that were also insulated, at days end they were usually both wet and too hot.  Waterproofing was applied to the surface which also failed before days end particularly if there were seams.  The Vasques were seamless for the most part particularly in the toe box and I used sno-seal instead of the other water proofing offered for smooth leather.  These Vasques were rough out leather that absorbed sno-seal much better than smooth leather.  Personally am not a big fan of active hunting in rubber boots of any kind.  

Harry

Hunting is hiking, and a good hiking boot beats most traditional hunting boots everyday. As much as I'm a LL customer and fan, the Bean boot falls far short in soooo many ways.

40595312522_48c978087a_c.jpg

MNice

My almost daily LL Bean inseparables, in order:

Northweave shirt jacs

Stowaway Gore Tex Rain parka

Bean Boots

All are still in great shape despite being at least 20 years old. I lost the rain parka to my daughter went she left for college and I don't think I'll be getting that back. The boots do have their limitations with regard to temp and traction but I can honestly say they have been my favorite pair of boots over the last 35 years. I've never sent them back for any repairs but have had the local cobbler replace the cotton stitching with a stronger and more modern fabric. I have no complaints other than I wish the Northweave in houndstooth were still available because sometimes I need to look dapper:)

Brad Eden

Have had several pair of Bean Boots and Maine Hunting Shoe. Eventually the lack of support, and the rubber where it is stitched always seemed to rub and irritate my ankle has left them gathering dust. And they are slippery. But, and a big but, is I have several friends and know other people who swear by them and where them for everything they do outdoors. I like my LLB chaps because they come in short chimpy inseams lengths and have an articulated knee. I like my two pair of LLB gloves. One pair are an older thin leather type and the other their newer "tech" type with leather and some light corduroy like material. I have a very old Upland coat that is actually quite nice, but I learned that I hate wearing a coat no matter how cold it is when bird hunting. 

timberdoodletime

My break down gun case...

DSC_0060.JPG

mccuha

The bean boot has gained popularity in the last few years because the yuppie  crowd   They created a fad.  My sons  girlfriend wanted a pair for Christmas last year and when he ordered them they didn’t come in till April. I have enjoyed mine from years past as well my current pair that’s been resoled a couple times. 

bigdog MN

I like the short Bean boots as slippers around the house and yardand 6" ones in the boat. Can be slippery but don't track in much debris. Wear the Merino Ragg wool socks daily.  Chamois shirts have always been a favorite.

jeff88

Have a couple of bean's cargo shorts, the ones with the elastic waist band.  My goal is to use no elasticity with these shorts and so far, am failing.  

When I went to college I had a bean's rag wool snowflake sweater.  Years later my neighbor's kid took that sweater to Northwestern (along with other winter clothes I wasn't using here in TX.)  After that, my son took it to college and still has it.  I bring this up because all three of us had the same experience -- every time we wore that sweater someone complimented us on it or asked where it came from.   This is about as close to it as I could find though one size too small:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-LL-Bean-Nordic-Pattern-Wool-Sweater-Mens-Medium-Made-In-USA-Rag-Wool/173180746217?hash=item28526079e9:g:yBoAAOSwigxak2ZO