BlacknTan

Favorite LL Bean items

paul frey

I have the Bean boots in insulated and uninsulated.

fishvik
15 hours ago, Dave Quindt said:

I've bought a whole bunch of stuff from Bean over the last few years or so; far more than I had in the previous two decades.

But after Friday's announcement I might just need to spend my money elsewhere going forward.  The hypocrisy that LL Bean will sell a 20 year old a pair of Maine hunting boots, a Maine hunting license but not a box of shells to go grouse hunting with is incredibly disappointing.  The fact that the sporting community has said virtually nothing about this is equally frustrating.

LL Bean has decided winning some good press among soccer moms and Bean boot-wearing millennials is worth throwing sportsmen under the bus.  I could say much more, but won't.

This is why I shop at Cabela's, Bass Pro and the old Gander Mtn. Bean lost me when they started being the outfitter of the Yuppie.

Ben Hong

Because of the chain pattern soles, Bean Boots are anathema to me. After a couple of pairs and one broken fibula caused by a small slip into a tire rut, they went into the dumpster. I have extremely flat feet to begin with and they never provided onr bit of support. However I do have several great items bought at their clearance outlets.

atticus

Absolutely love my waxed cotton Partridge vest.  I don't think they make the waxed version anymore which is too bad. 

Harry

Bean is moving more to the yuppie market because the outdoor buyer has been leaving them for the likes of Cabelas, Bass Pro, etc. None of which can compete with LL on Upland gear. However, that is a dwindling market while Big game hunting and shooting is growing. Kuiu, Sitka and others have made their mark on the same.

Those who abandon Bean only drive them further away from the hook and bullet market. The lady who runs Bean is as strong a conservative voice as you will find and perhaps more so than many who post here. 

I can’t buy a box of shells at LL Bean? Somehow I’ve managed never to do so and I’m sure never buying another hunting item from them will go far in having them consider their hook and bullet future commitment. 

I have so much to learn. 

Millriver

1) Bean Boots, been wearing them for 35 years. Not my everyday hunting boots, but wear them as much as my Gokey's from Orvis and my Muck boots. Plus I love them for hunting turkeys.

2) River Driver shirts. Have worn out several, have balked at the price but should probably stop being so cheap because I love them. The only one I have left is a red one that my wife calls my "John Walton shirt". 

3) The new Strap Vest I bought and used last season. Took me a while to get used to it, but at the end of the season I liked it.

The new policies or the clientele won't deter me from shopping there. I've  been a Bean's customer for too many years. Remeber Bangor Taffy at the checkout? Gosh I loved that stuff, anyone have know where I can get some?!

Don Steese

If I happen to see something I think I want from LL Bean, I'd certainly buy it. Doesn't often happen though. I never think to check them. 

doodlecrazy
4 hours ago, Don Steese said:

I have never understood why the Bean boot was so wildly popular??  Probably the most ill conceived, uncomfortable piece of footwear ever created. 

I highly disagree but that's why we have options. I don't remember a day in the last 5 years where I haven't gone over my 10" Bean boots while hunting woodcock. Every rubber/neoprene boot I've worn are heavy and uncomfortable while Bean Boots are very light and I find them extremely comfortable. They dry out faster than any other boot I've tried and last me about 3 seasons. I get back to the truck and change socks/boots and my wet boots are dry before the socks. The only downside I've found is they are slippery in snow but I don't do too much woodcock hunting with snow on the ground.

jeff88

One thing that Bean and REI have gone away from is the 100% return guarantee, no receipt needed.  That was always a deal "maker" for me.  No risk except for postage.  I returned those bean boots w/o a problem.  Instead of a full refund, I used the credit for something else, a fair enough deal for me.  Bean would have credited me with the full amount which I thought was borderline taking advantage of them.  

mshowman

I’ve accumulated a lot of LLB stuff and find everything to be good quality. I have chamois, wool, flannel, blaze and dress shirts, 2 Partridge vests (blaze and waxed cotton), Bean Boots and Bean pac type moccasins, chaps, goretex hats, etc. But the thing I considered their very best product for the dollar has been recently dropped. It was their 3 season jacket. I have 3 of them in various phases of disrepair and was about to order another when I discovered they are no longer being carried. 

Sage Hen

I've worn their Chamois shirts for many years. I have a pair of 5" or 6" slip on bean boots that are great for around the house take the dogs out kind of stuff. I don't care for the boots for the hunting I do here. I was gifted a pair of wool pants that I wouldn't have bought but came around to really liking. But my favorite LL bean item is a couple of 100% wool, gray flecked, Made in the USA "Northwoods Shirt"s. These things fit great and last forever, eventually I sewed leather patches on the elbows of one of them but it still sees lots of service.

jeff88

My da*n bean's list may never end, just remembered a heavy duty bean blanket that get's no use in TX.  This thing is as warm as the hudson's bay blanket we don't use either.  I also have a woolrich hudson's bay thumb shirt from bean.  It's a pullover made from a bay blanket where your thumbs stick out of the side:

https://www.google.com/search?q=bean+hudson+bay+thumb+shirt&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=5V71AdGuDzTPxM%3A%2CVhkcE_iiH3Ws3M%2C_&usg=__jGQrV82pvumWvOGNiDnGq1PdlLE%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjQoJSUnNbZAhVCaq0KHZWFBswQ9QEIKTAA#imgrc=lQCaR5IVPwyjXM:

bamboozler

There hasn't been a day in the last quarter century that I haven't put on a Bean flannel bathrobe.  About every 3-4 years when the elbows wear through I order another. 

Don Steese
8 hours ago, doodlecrazy said:

I highly disagree but that's why we have options. I don't remember a day in the last 5 years where I haven't gone over my 10" Bean boots while hunting woodcock. Every rubber/neoprene boot I've worn are heavy and uncomfortable while Bean Boots are very light and I find them extremely comfortable. They dry out faster than any other boot I've tried and last me about 3 seasons. I get back to the truck and change socks/boots and my wet boots are dry before the socks. The only downside I've found is they are slippery in snow but I don't do too much woodcock hunting with snow on the ground.

Everybody has their own preference. If they work for you...great!!

Kansas Bound

Would rather spend my money at Orvis which is a site sponsor.