REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
GLS

Repairing DC 40, et al. Garmin collars

GLS

I was closing in on the end of SC woodcock season this year and my DC 40 went kaput.  I've been running it six years  with my Astro 320 (and recently a Fenix 3 HR) and good things can come to an end. I had enough points in Amazon to buy a T5 collar cheaper than normal and had it within 2 days.  I run two Britts on the collars, the DC40 and DC50.  The DC40 doesn't drop the dog like the DC50 occasionally does.  I looked everywhere to find collar repair.  No one, not even Collar Clinic.  Garmin dropped service on the old collars for reasons I think I know.  Ebay listed a repair service for any problem for $75 with free return postage.  Damn.  I bit.  I didn't read the fine print.  He was in the Russian Federation.  He required registered mail which cost $38.00.  What the heck still a good deal.  I was told it would take until April.  Collar was returned today.  I sent it off Jan. 27th.  More importantly, it works fine.  I see where he now charges  $125 but will take offers.  He sells a lot of Garmin parts and I give him thumbs up.  Gil

Anastasia Bardina, Magnistogork, Chelyabinskaya, Russian Federation.  His ebay name is garmin_parts

ttps://www.ebay.com/itm/Repair-Service-for-GPS-collar-Garmin-DC-30-DC-40-tracking-system/253017142054?hash=item3ae8ff3326:g:uvsAAOSwjRpZOsni

Jakeismydog2

Wow, bold move sending it off to Russia. Glad it worked out for you. However now Putin is probably listening to you while you hunt.

Cooter Brown
17 minutes ago, Jakeismydog2 said:

Wow, bold move sending it off to Russia. Glad it worked out for you. However now Putin is probably listening to you while you hunt.

I knew it!  Vladimir Putin is a hot spotter!  Annexing Crimea and now this!  Is there no end to the man's deviltry?

GLS
7 hours ago, Jakeismydog2 said:

Ivan, why does this man say "Whoa".? What is this "Whoa?  Whoooaaa.  GDMIT,  Abby, I said WHOOOOA!!."  Play the tape again.

WI Outdoor Nut

What was the issue with the collar?  I was losing connection with my DC40 - with the help of someone on this board, they suggested the antenna and that was it.  $5 was back in business. 

Larry Brown

Aha!  GLS is from GEORGIA.  Now I understand.  Special KGB repair shop . . . for surveillance in former Soviet Republic.  Must return birthplace of Comrade Stalin to Communist Motherland!

GLS

Larry, Busted.  My collar went from 60 to 0 in one trip.  Wouldn't charge, charging light wouldn't blink and unit wouldn't turn on even while in charging dock.  Beyond my pay grade to troubleshoot surface mount devices.  I was happy to pay $113 delivered to get it up and running again, especially in light of costs of new units.  Gil

shinbone

Thanks for the head's-up on the repair option for the Garmin collars.

I called Collar Clinic a few months ago about an issue with my Alpha.  Collar Clinic said they don't repair Alpha's.  They said they can't get parts from Garmin anymore.

Mike Connally

All of this sounds like a battery issue. Couldn’t a BatteryPlus store just open it up and build a new battery?

markbrit

I sent my DC40 to Garmin for a swap out/rebuild it was like $80.00...this was probably 2 years ago...no more support?

GLS

Garmin doesn't offer support for the DC40, 50 for sure and maybe not T5.  As for it being a battery issue maybe, maybe not.  I can recall even when it wouldn't turn on because of low battery, once in the dock it would.  It wouldn't this time.  There are videos on DIY battery installation which require soldering, but it was easier for me to send it off even though I know my way around a soldering iron having built ham radios.  The $75 repair charge was a flat rate regardless of issues. Any number of issues relating to power, IC regulators, etc.  could have been the problem uncured by a new battery. Gil

buckmaster

GLS, problem was the battery has happened to me before...you can buy a new one with wiring harness on ebay or amazon, I believe I paid $38 this past Christmas.  The swap is not complicated at all, just make sure you have a set of small screwdrivers handy. 

fourtrax57

I have had  4 different DC 40 units fail. Two different times I bought a replacement battery for $35.00- $40.00. Wasn't the issue.

Unit was charged at start of unt. Lost comms. Brought dog in and unit was dead. Would not turn on> Bought said battery and installed & charged unit still would not turn on.

Tossed unit and bought another new / unused dc 40 on ebay for $140.00. Have had three more fail since then over the course of three years.

For me it's cheaper to toss them if they fail suddenly  (circuit board failure) than to repair. After sinking $40.00 twice into batteries when this wasn't the issue I just toss the units now

and purchase another. The cdc-40s worked great for me till they fail. I seem to get about 2 yrs from a unit. Every failure has been when it's on a dog running afield. Apparently the electronics

in the DC 40s are apt to fail due to "sudden death" perhaps from getting banged around on hard running dogs?? Anyway the DC 40-s definitely will fail in a few seasons. Just attrition like most things in life.

Also run An Alpha wit two tt-15 collars for two seasons now................. So far so good.

BlacknTan

I'm surprised to read all this! I ran a DC-30 with the original 220 handheld for ten years without any issues. 

blanked

Another $100 and you get a brand new T5