REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
BlacknTan

Electric or Internal Combustion

Kemo Sabe

Last February, I got a new right knee. Last June, I got a new left knee. In December, we got my wife a new top of the line Tesla. Her BMW 6 Series convertible was over 11 years old, and started giving us a lot of problems. So, she wanted the Tesla......

I didn't want it, but have gotten use to it's neat features. It's just that for $102,000 there's other cars I like a whole lot better. Like, a new 6 Series BMW .

My knee surgeries both  went great, and I'm totally out of pain and back walking 2 1/2 hours on pheasant hunts. My wife is really happy with her Tesla, and since we are a 3 car family, I don't have to use it that much. It is fast, and it is very comfortable. It's also kind of nerdy, if you know what I mean. I'd still rather have a new  Beamer or the 4 Door Porsche Panameria.

Marc Ret
1 hour ago, BlacknTan said:

I never paid much attention to these cars, but this appears to be the one my Ortho doc has..

https://www.tesla.com/models

0-60 in 2.5?? Yikes

I remember as a kid, when the '64 GTO came out. It reportedly did 0-60 in 5.2, and that was a fast car in it's day... still seems pretty quick to me. But,  2.5 seconds?

Can anyone figure how many g's that would put on one's body?

1.09 Gs

quailguy
5 hours ago, BlacknTan said:

I remember as a kid, when the '64 GTO came out. It reportedly did 0-60 in 5.2, and that was a fast car in it's day... still seems pretty quick to me. But,  2.5 seconds?

One of my best friends in High School was gifted a 1965 GTO with all the bells and whistles , including the 389 in engine, three 2 barrels carbs and a "4 on the floor" shift when he became a senior. That remains the single hottest car I've ever ridden in. It would lay down as much rubber as he wanted shifting into 4th gear at about 110 mph. Lord that was a nice car!!

My University of Texas friend's Tesla just kind of forces you back in your seat like a jet fighter on takeoff. Just a continuing forcing one back into the seatback. Quite amazing really.

quailguy
6 hours ago, Bede said:

Less and less power is made from coal, more and more from natural gas. Renewable sources growing. Unsure how this isn't better than individuals driving gas burning cars over the long term? 

Another issue is that in many places there is less and less a need for owning a personal vehicle, or at least owning fewer per household. That is the future as well. 

Well, Venerable One, you may be correct. Although the reduction in coal production is mainly driven by politics IMHO (don't get me wrong, I've cursed acid rain and acid mine runoff with the best of them!)

So long as the coal is produced in a clean way and the acids, etc, are scrubbed out of the smoke I'm OK with coal. I'm an "all of the above" type guy when it comes to energy, so long as it is as non polluting as is possible.

The US has much more natural gas than ever before, which has really driven down air pollution. There are all sorts of geopolitical reasons for the US to produce more gas as well.

Out here in flyover country we need our personal vehicles because "I garrontee", as Justin Wilson used to say, no one else, no way else will we retain the freedom to travel when we need to do so.

garyRI
On 3/30/2018 at 8:13 PM, Spin said:

Like it or not Internal combustion is on it's way out and as time goes by the impetus to ditch it will make sure it's a thing of the past.

In a long view probably true. But the "long" is at least decades. This week "Moody’s Investors Services downgraded Tesla’s debt further into junk-bond territory on concerns about liquidity shortfalls."

A123 was supposed to have the answer for batteries, went public with a big splash, then went bancrupt and what is left is owned by Chinese interests. 

The entire alternative energy wind/solar scene reminds me of a cartoon I saw once that had a bunch of calculations on a blackboard with a guy pointing to a spot on the board & saying, to the effect, "and here the miracle happens". In my view the problem is storage. The wind doesn't always blow and the sun doesn't always shine so there has to be petrochemical fueled backup. 

dogrunner

I’ll stick with my gas engine. This beauty has 400hp/400tq with turbos. Plus all wheel drive. Moves out pretty quick. 

06B1906E-932B-4586-9966-78659C68BDBB.jpeg

Kansas Bound

I know on my boat the gas motor goes faster than the electric motor.

quailguy
16 hours ago, garyRI said:

The entire alternative energy wind/solar scene reminds me of a cartoon I saw once that had a bunch of calculations on a blackboard with a guy pointing to a spot on the board & saying, to the effect, "and here the miracle happens". In my view the problem is storage. The wind doesn't always blow and the sun doesn't always shine so there has to be petrochemical fueled backup.

Indeed you are correct. The German government, in a fit a insanity by the physics PhD Bundeskanzlerin Merkel, decided to kill all German nuke power plants and go to wind and solar power. The "Energiewende" in Germany; and so over the course of a few years, all German nuke plants have been shuttered and gazillions of euros have been spent on wind and solar power. The result of this is the highest energy bills in the EU and the highest use of lignite coal in the EU. Its Germany you know, and anyone who has spent much time there is perfectly aware that there are some periods of time, up to months it seemed like, when the sun doesn't shine and the wind doesn't blow.

But the German economy still needs power and so the remaining coal power plants run using mostly local lignite (which produces large amounts of pollutants) ALL THE TIME. Why? It is not possible to spin up a coal power plant in less than a few days when the wind dies down or the sun is obscured, so in order for the German economy to run, the coal power plants run.

One needs to understand the second and third order impacts of major decisions before making them.

As I remember from the Navy, given the plant is manned and "in service" but not powered up, one can power up a nuke plant in a few hours and steam the ship. I'm sure someone here will correct me if I'm wrong here B|

Cold Iron ??

chilly460

I'd guess I'm well beyond "casual" in my approach to cars, and love older American V8s.   Right now I'm rebuilding the 390 for my Mercury in my garage, so I'd seem to be the poster child for voting for internal combustion engines. 

That said, I see the handwriting on the wall.  I "inherited" a Prius via my wife, and although it's not a plug in electric, I can appreciate 50mpg.  Once I got over driving a weenie car :) I realized that the vast majority of my driving during the week is stop and go stoplight traffic, her car is perfectly fine for that.  I'd be fine with a full electric commuter when the time comes.  

As already stated, you do away with cooling/transmissions/differentials/oil changes....an absolute myriad of systems are eliminated with electric only vehicles.  Also as stated, it is funny how many people think that electricity is just created out of thin air.   I live in Richmond, VA, not exactly a progressive area, and I'm starting to see a lot more solar roofs on new house construction so I could see the problem of strain on the energy grid being solved in the future.    

29683258_10211587875037893_3070032529317708344_n.jpg

BlacknTan
1 minute ago, chilly460 said:

I'd guess I'm well beyond "casual" in my approach to cars, and love older American V8s.   Right now I'm rebuilding the 390 for my Mercury in my garage, so I'd seem to be the poster child for voting for internal combustion engines. 

That said, I see the handwriting on the wall.  I "inherited" a Prius via my wife, and although it's not a plug in electric, I can appreciate 50mpg.  Once I got over driving a weenie car :) I realized that the vast majority of my driving during the week is stop and go stoplight traffic, her car is perfectly fine for that.  I'd be fine with a full electric commuter when the time comes.  

As already stated, you do away with cooling/transmissions/differentials/oil changes....an absolute myriad of systems are eliminated with electric only vehicles.  Also as stated, it is funny how many people think that electricity is just created out of thin air.   I live in Richmond, VA, not exactly a progressive area, and I'm starting to see a lot more solar roofs on new house construction so I could see the problem of strain on the energy grid being solved in the future.    

29683258_10211587875037893_3070032529317708344_n.jpg

Nice!!

Aluminum heads on that 390??

cockerfan

Just rode in a clients Tesla last week.  Had a headache for a couple hours from the acceleration (He had the pedal to the floor).. very cool car.  Not practical for trips,  but awesome if you're staying local. 

gunsrus
On 4/3/2018 at 4:40 PM, quailguy said:

One of my best friends in High School was gifted a 1965 GTO with all the bells and whistles , including the 389 in engine, three 2 barrels carbs and a "4 on the floor" shift when he became a senior. That remains the single hottest car I've ever ridden in. It would lay down as much rubber as he wanted shifting into 4th gear at about 110 mph. Lord that was a nice car!!

My University of Texas friend's Tesla just kind of forces you back in your seat like a jet fighter on takeoff. Just a continuing forcing one back into the seatback. Quite amazing really.

I'd rather the '65 GTO . I had a '67 442 , loved that car ! Loved that era !

quailguy
6 hours ago, chilly460 said:

Right now I'm rebuilding the 390 for my Mercury in my garage, so I'd seem to be the poster child for voting for internal combustion engines. 

Very nice ! Back when I was in UT I had a 390 Mercury Cyclone. RED. Coupe. Man I loved that car and it came with some interesting blond and brunette side benefits there in Austin.

quailguy
6 hours ago, BlacknTan said:

I live in Richmond, VA, not exactly a progressive area, and I'm starting to see a lot more solar roofs on new house construction so I could see the problem of strain on the energy grid being solved in the future.    

I can see solar as a sales gimmick.

Perhaps the solar cell can eventually be made much more efficient. I dunno, that's been worked on for 40 years with only minimal success. My bro and I both did the stubby pencil study of the breakeven point on a solar roof in central Texas (300+ days/sun per year) and we figured we'd both be dead before we broke even. And my bro and I are both MBAs with concentrations in statistics, probability and decision making.

So statistically speaking we figured in all probability solar wasn't worth the cost.B| 

chilly460
8 hours ago, BlacknTan said:

Nice!!

Aluminum heads on that 390??

Yep, they're Bear Block Motors heads.  Actually had Edelbrock aluminum heads on it previously but got a good deal on these new heads and a roller cam so doing a little update...