REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Tom Avent

Lord Stanley's Cup - New season time

kgb

At least the Caps quit dominating the President's trophy this year.  Maybe it'll help their fortunes. 

Big Al

Vegas kept me from being 8 for 8 in the first round.

Second round: Sharks, Preds, Caps, Lightning

Go Bolts!!!

jeff88

Tuned into he 3rd period last night with the Leafs up 4-3.  Thought the go ahead goal was weak by the defender and goalie.  Too bad, was hoping the Leafs could have surprised Boston.  Would have also been nice to see two teams from Canada go to the 2nd round.

Austin Matthews is experiencing what Sid did when he 1st came up -- his teammates don't yet know how to play with him.  Twice in the 3rd I saw him lay a beautiful pass into an open area without a teammate flowing into the spot.  He was doubled up and still made a play that should have gone for something positive but no one knew to be ready.  It will take his teammates a little while longer to catch-on to going to open ice and keep their blade on the ice as good things are going to happen when they do. 

GO PENS!! 

Clueless1

Pens have won 5 Cups.  Every time beating the Caps on the way.  I am hopeful this will be #6, but at some point the law of averages has to catch up, right?

jeff88

Of course rooting for PGH but also now pulling for TB, Winnipeg and Lost Wages.  Pens versus the Jets would be ideal to this PGH fan.  Of all the teams entering this round, the team with the most concerns about the health and wellness is PGH, they have played a ton more than any other team for these past years.  There is a reason that the team that loses the Cup doesn't come back the next year, it is too draining.  There is also a much, much smaller statistical distribution for those that win back-to-back, in other words, for decades only two teams make that list - PGH and DET.   DET did not three-peat.  PGH's only thing going for them right now is that they can win it all and are battle-tested.  Still, if Malkin is out for two games or more, they will have a very steeply slanted hill to climb.  That's like subtracting Kucherov from TB, or Backstrom from the Caps.  Still:

GO PENS!!

Ben Hong

Caps/Pens game just finished. Poor poor Caps.

kgb

Interesting article, Jeff.  Thanks.  

Had a good feeling late in the game when the Pens killed off that last penalty, good for the series.

Steve Hunts

5-0 Knights right now in the 2nd. It's something else seeing the Sharks get dominated like this. Knights are the real deal.

Ben Hong
10 hours ago, Steve Hunts said:

5-0 Knights right now in the 2nd. It's something else seeing the Sharks get dominated like this. Knights are the real deal.

Final score was 7 zip!  I feel a disturbance in the force Luke!!

Tom Avent
12 hours ago, Ben Hong said:

Caps/Pens game just finished. Poor poor Caps.

Keeping the faith!

jeff88
37 minutes ago, Tom Avent said:

Keeping the faith!

Isn't that how the Columbus series started?  Caps are not anywhere out of this just because of a game 1 loss.  These teams can go down 3-1 and still come back.  

GO PENS!!

jeff88
1 hour ago, Ben Hong said:

Final score was 7 zip!  I feel a disturbance in the force Luke!!

There have been way too many non-playoff hockey scores already in this post season.  Very strange.  Isn't playoff hockey supposed to be tight, low scoring and tense?  It was last night in DC but out west, whoa.  One of my Broons buddies was commenting on how Fleury isn't all that great in the post season, I had to scratch my head on that one.  Most keepers play as well as the guys in front of them, Fleury too.  He has three rings in four tries, LV has got a winner there.  Right now the rest of the NHL has got to be sounding like Butch and Sundance when it comes to LV:  "Who are those guys?"

GO PENS!!

Big Al

It looks like the Caps have figured out that if you want to score on Murray it's glove hand high.  Just didn't do it enough. 

I wonder if the Lightning will ever play again.  Sigh!!!!

Go Bolts!!!

Tom Avent
3 hours ago, jeff88 said:

Isn't that how the Columbus series started?  Caps are not anywhere out of this just because of a game 1 loss.  These teams can go down 3-1 and still come back.  

GO PENS!!

Yes, but Columbus is not Pittsburgh, either in the current team or the history. We shall see.