REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Tom Avent

Lord Stanley's Cup - New season time

Tom Avent
21 minutes ago, jeff88 said:

Tom, I would never lump Wilson in with Marchand.  Marchand is a one-of-a-kind.  He's a weird dude, not just the vicious little ball of hate he's known as.  I don't believe Wilson is a weirdo.  However, this statistic may be of interest to those who want to defend Wilson:  During the past 5 years he has the most penalty minutes of any player.  It's not even close, he leads this stat by an hour and a half.  Essentially, he has been in the box for 4 and half periods of hockey more than anyone else in the league.  :o

As for the Caps, we in the 'Burgh are starting to believe they are the "De-Caps" as in decapitations.  Wilson and Ovie on Sunday on Dumo.  Nisky and Ovie last year on Crosby.  Orpik on Matta the year before.  These were not "hockey plays" like the Neanderthals @ Toronto NHL Center are calling them.  They are head shots meant to be kill shots.  Concussion suits in the near future against the NHL will ruin the league, especially a league that won't even try to pretend they are doing something.  There goes the Stanley Cup, the greatest sports series on the planet. 

BTW, good to see TB even it up.  Not cheering for Marchand but am cheering for Kunitz.  Cheers to 5 OT games in this series with a forple OT in game 7.  That's right, FORPLE!  It's the new math. 

GO PENS!!

To be honest, I do not remember the Orpik hit. However, I very clearly remember the Crosby hit and saw the Wilson/Ovi sandwich the other night. I will not defend Wilson in general. That is why I asked the question. However, I will respectfully disagree with you on both hits. If you look closely, Dumolin turned into Wilson at the last second and that is what caused the head shot from Wilson's shoulder, NOT elbow. Last years hit on Sid was not a dirty play. The only thing that may have been a penalty was Ovi's slash. Heck, later in the same series Ovi had a clear chance to clean Sid's clock legally and pulled up. It's fine though. You are entitled to your opinion. At least you didn't go down the goal/no goal road and understand the replay rules and have an understanding of basic geometry, unlike Sullivan and most of your fellow Pens fans.

Btw, I have always thought Sid got unfairly labeled a whiner. However, Sullivan is the biggest whiner I have ever seen. His face is constantly contorted into a "whiny" face. He may be a great coach. I guess for 2 Cups I would take "whiny" face over Trotz's stoic stare.

jeff88

Tom, in the Wilson hit on Dumo, he was staring straight into Dumo's ear hole the entire time.  Let's put this in terms of skeet shooting.  If I were able to train my eyes on clays in skeet as focused as Wilson was on Dumo's ear hole, I would break more than 20 every time.  That's not all.  He lifted his shoulder up to tag him and drove it into the side of his head precisely where he was staring.  Trained eyes on the target, appropriate lead, dusted!  25 for 25!  This is not debatable and it is exactly what he did to the Blue Jacket in the prior series.  I mean exactly.

Watch the 2nd and 3rd videos from this article. particularly the 2nd, then try to try to convince anyone that Wilson is not a thug:

http://triblive.com/sports/columnists/timbenz/breakfastwithbenz/13601759-74/stunned-wilson-wasnt-suspended-for-dumoulin-headshot-youre-not-alone

That the NHL is letting this happen is going to be the end of hockey for you, me and everyone else.  At least the NFL is doing something, Goodell gets that this is going to crash all around the league if they don't.  Bettman hires an ex-goon to run his player protection area.  The NHL is doomed to be carrion for the buzzards.

Your view on last season's Crosby head shot by Ovie and Nisky may be plausible on it's own merit but based on the evidence of prior and subsequent hits, that view rapidly loses steam.  There is both smoke and fire.  Sunday Nisky tried to "knee" Guentzel, another non-call for the Caps.  The slash on Murray in the crease along with goalie interference, you pick, not called.  This is either going to tune the Pens up for the series or they will fade out due to wear and tear from two consecutive Cup wins.  Hope it's the former.

As for coaches, all y'all can have Trots and Torts, in Sully we trust!  

GO PENS!!

Wet Dog
10 hours ago, Tom Avent said:

Jeff, I have to give you props for not mentioning or complaining about the goal/no goal from game 2. I was planning on blasting some Pens fans over on FB for not being smart enough to understand the geometry involved. I will say that I saw Sid's interview and he was very good, Sullivan, not so much.

Ok Tom.  I'll give you the parallax view makes the call inconclusive, and the overhead shot didn't show the puck, but "Pen fans are not smart enough to understand geometry" is hurtful.  Its a little known fact that Euclid (known as the father of geometry for you Cap fans) was a Penguin fan!!!*

*sarcasm

Tom Avent

At least they know how to count.¬¬

Image result for pens fans giving ovi the finger photo

Tom Avent
14 hours ago, jeff88 said:

Tom, in the Wilson hit on Dumo, he was staring straight into Dumo's ear hole the entire time.  Let's put this in terms of skeet shooting.  If I were able to train my eyes on clays in skeet as focused as Wilson was on Dumo's ear hole, I would break more than 20 every time.  That's not all.  He lifted his shoulder up to tag him and drove it into the side of his head precisely where he was staring.  Trained eyes on the target, appropriate lead, dusted!  25 for 25!  This is not debatable and it is exactly what he did to the Blue Jacket in the prior series.  I mean exactly.

Watch the 2nd and 3rd videos from this article. particularly the 2nd, then try to try to convince anyone that Wilson is not a thug:

http://triblive.com/sports/columnists/timbenz/breakfastwithbenz/13601759-74/stunned-wilson-wasnt-suspended-for-dumoulin-headshot-youre-not-alone

That the NHL is letting this happen is going to be the end of hockey for you, me and everyone else.  At least the NFL is doing something, Goodell gets that this is going to crash all around the league if they don't.  Bettman hires an ex-goon to run his player protection area.  The NHL is doomed to be carrion for the buzzards.

Your view on last season's Crosby head shot by Ovie and Nisky may be plausible on it's own merit but based on the evidence of prior and subsequent hits, that view rapidly loses steam.  There is both smoke and fire.  Sunday Nisky tried to "knee" Guentzel, another non-call for the Caps.  The slash on Murray in the crease along with goalie interference, you pick, not called.  This is either going to tune the Pens up for the series or they will fade out due to wear and tear from two consecutive Cup wins.  Hope it's the former.

As for coaches, all y'all can have Trots and Torts, in Sully we trust!  

GO PENS!!

Jeff, Yes something needs to be done. I don't think Wilson's hit last night was bad. It is just unfortunate that Aston-Reese is 5" shorter and took the brunt of the hit in the head. It does not change the fact that he is now hurt. It is not an unparallel experience from the NFL. These players are just getting faster, bigger, and stronger than the current rules of the game ever intended.

As far as any other "dirty" play going on. I do believe the Pens give as much as they take. This is a hard fought, sometimes nasty series between 2 very good teams. Also, maybe this is the devil the Caps have to dance with the get over the HISTORICAL hump. 

Ben Hong

If there were any doubts as to the quality of the Jets team, they were all dispelled last night. At the start of the second period Winnipeg was down 3-0 but in the next forty minutes they scored 7 goals against the second best team in the league. How do you spell P O W E R ? Or crushing? Or soul destroying dominance? It would take a miracle for the Preds to recover from such a trouncing!

Millriver

93 degrees here in Western Massachusetts today. Doesn't feel anything like hockey season, but will enjoy watching the Bruins beat TB tonight!

Millriver

And I do think that Marchand is one of those players you love to hate, but would love him if he played on your team.

The face licking thing is really weird though. There is no explanation for that behavior! 

Ben Hong

Wilson is gone for 3! Bad hit. Bad!

kgb
8 minutes ago, Ben Hong said:

For the hit on the unfortunately short Aston-Reese? Hard to believe. It couldn't be Wilson's fault. 

The announcers commented on Wilson leaving his feet.  My poor attempt to read Letang's lips has him telling Wilson "yeah, you go ahead and laugh". Did Letang figure the video would show what it did and the league would act?

Grouse Gunner
37 minutes ago, Ben Hong said:

Bullshit is what it is. 

gunsrus

If the Broons want to continue to play so lackluster , lets just get it over with . Yech !

Big Al

Lightning too deep for Bruins.  If the Bergeron line is stopped the Bruins have nothing more to give.  Lightning have won two out three with their first line not showing up.

Go Bolts!!!

Big Al
1 hour ago, Grouse Gunner said:

Bullshit is what it is. 

Seriously?  I want the Caps to beat the Pens more than anybody but that was a bad hit and deserved a suspension.

Go Bolts!!!