Lord Stanley's Cup - New season time

On May 2, 2018 at 4:01 PM, Ben Hong said:

If there were any doubts as to the quality of the Jets team, they were all dispelled last night. At the start of the second period Winnipeg was down 3-0 but in the next forty minutes they scored 7 goals against the second best team in the league. How do you spell P O W E R ? Or crushing? Or soul destroying dominance? It would take a miracle for the Preds to recover from such a trouncing!

You spell power Dustin Byfuglien.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jeff88

• Big Al

• Ben Hong

• Tom Avent

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The alternative statement is that the Bruins were not the Caps. Of course, historically speaking, the Caps are not the Caps.

Seriously?  I want the Caps to beat the Pens more than anybody but that was a bad hit and deserved a suspension.   Go Bolts!!!

With due respect to Art, I did not mention that peculiar predilection of the Rat because I did not want to denigrate the Broons that deeply. I can understand the thuggery of a Lucic, the brutishness o

Posted Images

Tom Avent

How can anyone NOT admit that the NHL Stanley Cup Playoff is the most exciting, grueling, and compelling sports event. At this point, the margin for every game is razor thin. I know I'm preaching to the choir here. 

Tom Avent

BTW.....(yes I could not let it go), I know I acquiesced about Wilson's hit and suspension. However, it is a huge shame that something like that has to happen. Obviously, it had an impact on the game. Ovi did not have a shot on goal and that happens maybe once in 5 years. You really would like to see both teams play at their full strength and potential.

Hopefully, Wilson learns from this and becomes a more responsible player. Hopefully, the league learns from this and adjusts their rules and suspension protocol.

There were reports that Backstrom broke his stick and yelled "f*** this league" on the way to the locker room after the game. Yes, mild manored Nick Backstrom. Maybe this is the exact storm the Caps needed to finally get the push past the Pens they have missed in the past. I can only hope.

Three out of the four series are tied 2-2.  Bruins, Lightning play their fourth game tonight.  Their series is 2-1 Lightning.  Hopefully the Lightning can break the trend and take control and make it 3-1.

It would be nice if Kucherov and Stamkos would show up.

Go Bolts!!!

3 hours ago, Tom Avent said:

BTW.....(yes I could not let it go), I know I acquiesced about Wilson's hit and suspension. However, it is a huge shame that something like that has to happen. Obviously, it had an impact on the game. Ovi did not have a shot on goal and that happens maybe once in 5 years. You really would like to see both teams play at their full strength and potential.

Hopefully, Wilson learns from this and becomes a more responsible player. Hopefully, the league learns from this and adjusts their rules and suspension protocol.

There were reports that Backstrom broke his stick and yelled "f*** this league" on the way to the locker room after the game. Yes, mild manored Nick Backstrom. Maybe this is the exact storm the Caps needed to finally get the push past the Pens they have missed in the past. I can only hope.

I know it sucks to lose a good player but look at it from the other teams perspective.  The Pens lost Hagelin for 3 games, Ashton-Reece for the season, and Doumilin for a game all due to high hits.  They're pretty important to the Pens too.  

I tune the laptop to the hometown broadcast and turn the TV volume off with closed captions to see what Doc is saying. At the end of the game Mike Lang commented on Oshie leaping off the ice flying at Letang.  Doc said something about Oshie's skates leaving the ice a little bit.  Gotta love Doc's dry sense of humor.

Dave in Maine

Oshie ought to lose a game or two for launching himself that way.  And it wasn't like the puck was anywhere in that county, either.

Clueless1
1 minute ago, Dave in Maine said:

Oshie ought to lose a game or two for launching himself that way.  And it wasn't like the puck was anywhere in that county, either.

The only difference is that Letang isn't injured.  Until the league starts punishing the intent rather than the result there is going to be this problem.  Pittsburgh fans were all pretty ticked off when the NFL made an example of James Harrison when the concussion thing really started, but they have gotten a much better handle on it than the NHL. 

Dave in Maine
Just now, Clueless1 said:

The only difference is that Letang isn't injured.  Until the league starts punishing the intent rather than the result there is going to be this problem.  Pittsburgh fans were all pretty ticked off when the NFL made an example of James Harrison when the concussion thing really started, but they have gotten a much better handle on it than the NHL. 

True that LeTang wasn't injured, but that's really not the point.  Leaving one's feet - launching oneself - is forbidden by rule.  As is interference of the sort that even a legitimate check when there's no puck around is a penalty.  There's little doubt that Oshie was headhunting - that's why you launch yourself - and that he went after LeTang with intent to take him out of the play, and possibly of the game or even the next game.

In my book, I call that "with intent to injure".

Frankly, Oshie and, to an even greater extent, Davis ought to be glad I don't work for the Pittsburgh DA's office.  IF I did they'd have had a friendly sheriff's deputy handing them a grand jury subpoena right outside the locker room.

As to James Harrison, keep in mind the league was - rightly - criticized for selling violence and making huge money off the same hits it was penalizing players for.  Harrison and other players adapted to the changed rules - you haven't heard of him being fined in what, 6 years or so?  Launching oneself like Oshie did, and headhunting like Davis did, have been outlawed in hockey for some time now, and they flagrantly broke the rules.

To be fair - when someone comes along and says "but Davis wasn't penalized" - I think he would have skated on the last hit but for (a) his smiling and laughing about it immediately afterward, and (b) the Pittsburgh coach disclosing just how bad the injuries were, and (c) the fact that he'd taken out 3 players like that in 3 different games.  I'd like to say he deserves bounty on his head, but that would give him more credit - value - than he's really worth.  Why expose yourself to all that would happen for a bounty, when beating his team without him does even more.

1 hour ago, Dave in Maine said:

I was thinking that as well, but I'm a PENS fan.   

What is the consensus on whether Oshie should be suspended a game for his attempted hit on Letang?

I think that "unseen" forces might be in play during the next game. Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies.

like Tom Avent said don't you love playoff hockey?

Tom Avent
48 minutes ago, Ben Hong said:

I think that "unseen" forces might be in play during the next game. Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies.

like Tom Avent said don't you love playoff hockey?

I may be a fool. I know I'm a homer. I have watched the Caps for a long time( saw my first live Caps fame in 1986). This team just feels different. Seems on edge or pissed maybe. Sure Oshie might deserve a suspension for leaving his feet and launching himself at Letang. However, I saw too many Caps teams over the years dial it in and just roll over to, what seemed, was the inevitable. Not this team. Seems to me they have  a fight to the last second mentality that was never there before.

Of course, that and $5 will get you a crappy, overpriced, corporate cup of coffee from Starbucks. Means dittlysquat unless they win this series.

Never so glad to see the Broons lose because of our friend the Rat Marchand. First, he submarines a guy, then he licks an opponent from chin to eyebrows. There is talk from the chattering experts that this warrants an interview by the disciplinary committee for what could be called by some a sexual assault. Marchand is making a mockery of being a sportsman, a human being

Zoli 16ga.
2 hours ago, Ben Hong said:

Marchand is making a mockery of being a sportsman, a human being

a stick to he teeth...or a spit in his face should solve it....seeing as the refs will not.

Road hockey justice I say.