• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jeff88

• Big Al

• Ben Hong

• Tom Avent

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The alternative statement is that the Bruins were not the Caps. Of course, historically speaking, the Caps are not the Caps.

Seriously?  I want the Caps to beat the Pens more than anybody but that was a bad hit and deserved a suspension.   Go Bolts!!!

With due respect to Art, I did not mention that peculiar predilection of the Rat because I did not want to denigrate the Broons that deeply. I can understand the thuggery of a Lucic, the brutishness o

Posted Images

Tom Avent

I know I am cutting against the grain on this one, but I HATE to see Vegas in the Western Conference Finals.I know it is good for the NHL and a great story, but it's somewhat disingenuous in my book. The way the NHL set it up it would be a failure if they didn't make it. 

8 hours ago, Zoli 16ga. said:

GO VEGAS! 

Vegas has about as much a shot at winning as you do of winning the Cats 28 gauge shoot !

Zoli 16ga.
2 hours ago, Tom Avent said:

I know I am cutting against the grain on this one, but I HATE to see Vegas in the Western Conference Finals.I know it is good for the NHL and a great story, but it's somewhat disingenuous in my book. The way the NHL set it up it would be a failure if they didn't make it. 

A team made up of players the other teams were willing to let go or discard. A team of players that never played together before. A coach that had to start from scratch with players he had never worked with. A team that shows some of the best hockey skills I've seen in a long time. A team that has the best record  than any other expansion team. If another team can't beat them considering the above.....

I'd love to see them win the cup. but then I'd have to wear a Vegas jersey to Catskills.

P.S    Pittsburg is my second choice.

Tom Avent
8 minutes ago, Zoli 16ga. said:

A team made up of players the other teams were willing to let go or discard. A team of players that never played together before. A coach that had to start from scratch with players he had never worked with. A team that shows some of the best hockey skills I've seen in a long time. A team that has the best record  than any other expansion team. If another team can't beat them considering the above.....

I'd love to see them win the cup. but then I'd have to wear a Vegas jersey to Catskills.

P.S    Pittsburg is my second choice.

I will respectfully disagree with you about players other teams did not want. I can only speak about the Caps, but there were only so many players they could protect the way the league set it up. Everybody is making McPhee to be a genius. If he was such a genius the Caps would have one or more Cups. Of course they have the best record of any expansion team in history. That was my point. The system was rigged in their favor. 

IMHO, historically,the Cup is WAY to hard to win for a first year team to win it. You don't have to be Captain Obvious to understand what happened. 

19 minutes ago, Tom Avent said:

I will respectfully disagree with you about players other teams did not want. I can only speak about the Caps, but there were only so many players they could protect the way the league set it up. Everybody is making McPhee to be a genius. If he was such a genius the Caps would have one or more Cups. Of course they have the best record of any expansion team in history. That was my point. The system was rigged in their favor. 

IMHO, historically,the Cup is WAY to hard to win for a first year team to win it. You don't have to be Captain Obvious to understand what happened. 

All true Tom.  Add to that, that this was the first expansion draft in the salary cap era and things look even more tilted towards Vegas.  Good players on bad contracts that were blowing up the cap for their teams that had to be moved so they were left unprotected.

Don't blame Vegas though.  It was pay back from the league to them for the $500 million fee to get the team.  All the other owners knew they were setting Vegas up for success but hey they got their split of the $500 mil.

Also there was only one team drafting from the unprotected list.  I believe that all other expansions had at least two or more teams sharing the prospects.

Before anyone forgets this expansion only had one team, Vegas; and, that one team had the pick of the 7th best player on 30 teams. That is a pretty good deal, even if they only drafted Neal and Fleury. The GM and Coach are exemplary hockey people. Before Gallant became head coach of any team, he cut his teeth in the Juniors and as asst. coach of the Habs. The guy is a true Maritimer (PEI)...hard working, not given to extreme emotions, a great student of the game, etc. When he played in the show, he was a guy vey few people willingly tried. TOUGH!

Zoli 16ga.

Well Tom....brad has a different server system now and he can only keep so many members....and unfortunately he would like to keep other members in favour over you. So your off to another forum.

And you would feel how?   lol

Yes, a team made up of unprotected players. Nonetheless, they can play some stellar hockey!

Zoli 16ga.
7 hours ago, Big Al said:

.....McPhee to be a If he was such a genius the Caps would have one or more Cups.

even the best potter can't make anything of value out of mud. oh oh.

8 minutes ago, Zoli 16ga. said:

even the best potter can't make anything of value out of mud. oh oh.

oooh, you're asking for it there!

Don't start in on the Minnesotans, they can be rough!

Zoli 16ga.
10 minutes ago, kgb said:

oooh, you're asking for it there!

Don't start in on the Minnesotans, they can be rough!

oh now thats too funny! 

Evenly matched teams, but I believe that whatever mental bloc Stamkos was under has been removed. Hard to call, but maybe 7 game barnburner.

Dave in Maine
17 hours ago, Ben Hong said:

Evenly matched teams, but I believe that whatever mental bloc Stamkos was under has been removed. Hard to call, but maybe 7 game barnburner.

When looking at the two Eastern teams, it is true to say that Tampa took a licking and kept on ticking.  Washington, on the other hand, gets a headhunter back (at least until he launches himself again).

I do believe the Pens need the second coming of Dave the Hammer Schultz.  It would serve that POS Davis right.

Or maybe put Davis and Marchand in a steel cage match where they each have to use the skills that got them in trouble, and only those skills.  See who wins.