Lord Stanley's Cup - New season time

Tampa looked like trash last night.  This will be a short series if they don't wake up.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jeff88

• Big Al

• Ben Hong

• Tom Avent

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The alternative statement is that the Bruins were not the Caps. Of course, historically speaking, the Caps are not the Caps.

Seriously?  I want the Caps to beat the Pens more than anybody but that was a bad hit and deserved a suspension.   Go Bolts!!!

With due respect to Art, I did not mention that peculiar predilection of the Rat because I did not want to denigrate the Broons that deeply. I can understand the thuggery of a Lucic, the brutishness o

Posted Images

Al, I get it from TB's perspective. I just think restricting something like that is problematic on SO many levels that go way beyond sports and any further explanation or discussion will most certainly get me postholed. I do not want to get postholed because this massive thread is always my favorite of the year.

20 hours ago, jeff88 said:

Yeah, they seemed beaten like rented mules in round 2.  Playing 307 games in last 3 seasons didn't help with injuries and fitness.  No excuses though, they were beaten by the better team.  These past 3 series were very close, just check out the scoring in games, either team was right there.  Caps remind me a lot of the '16 Pens, tons of rookies playing, no high expectations going into the playoffs and an outstanding effort between the pipes.  If Holtby stays on this tear, they will be tough to beat.

Interesting, all three teams in the finals from the last two cup runs are already gone lending credence to the fact this is the toughest trophy in pro sports.  Especially in the salary cap era.  Not unhappy that "no Subban" is now a thing.   

And hope you are right about next year - we want it back!!!!!  B|

Now Tom, don't start believing I'm going soft on you and the Caps as now I'm rooting for a finals with a mini-Pens reunion - Kunitz versus Fleury.  Those two are among my all time favorite Pens and I'd love to see that happen.  It would also be cool to see the Cup go to Canada since after all, they did invent the whole dang thing.   But go TB & LV!

Lastly Mr. Avent, very cool of you about your Pens comments.  One reason I stayed a bit away from the discussion was trying to avoid going ape$#!+ in here; that's how I implemented self-control.  But I was also a bit worried about you had the Caps not prevailed, it would have been unimaginable to re-suffer that fate again for any/all Caps fans.  While I badly wanted a Pens win, yikes!  Maybe this is your year...

Jeff, I am hurt. Every year when the Pens kick our butts, I go on to root for them. Give my Caps some love!

Hard to bet against Fleury but the Jets are big and fast with decent goal tending. Did I mention big....

1 hour ago, Tom Avent said:

Al, I get it from TB's perspective. I just think restricting something like that is problematic on SO many levels that go way beyond sports and any further explanation or discussion will most certainly get me postholed. I do not want to get postholed because this massive thread is always my favorite of the year.

Not to drag this out.  But there is no problem.  A person pays tens of thousands of dollars a year to be in an exclusive area of the arena and they do not want to have to put up with obnoxious Bruin and Penguin fans (and they are obnoxious).  They can sit in the other 17,000 seats.  For the most part other fans are ok but Bruin and Penguin people are insufferable. The best guests at the arena are the Canadian fans especially Ottawa. 

Funny story about Cap fans.  There was a few years when every time Ovi was moving the puck up ice the fans would boo him.  Just good fun.  One game there was a group of Washington fans close to me and as the game went on they were getting more and more upset with us doing that to poor Ovi.  Of course we didn't stop.

3 hours ago, Steve Hunts said:

Man I can't stand Don Cherry. 

I have moved past that stage, now I tolerate him like a senile old uncle.

This is a true story. In 1972 or 73. I lived in Halifax where the Habs' AHL farm team, the Nova Scotia Voyageurs was based. In a preseason exhibition game the visitors were the Rochester Americans coached by Don Cherry. He had a few goons on the roster who were looking for an NHL job, one of them was a real knuckle dragger named John Wensink. In the "good old days", there were almost no restrictions on fighting and Wnsink went a-hunting. The guy he targeted was a young American college grad looking for a job, feisty but not a fighter. Weighed 165 lbs to the goon's 215 and 6 inches shorter. Long story short, the kid had his head bashed against the ice 3-4 times and spent 2 full years in recovery, ending all hope of hockey. When Cherry was named coach of the Bruins 4 years later, The first person he requested was Wensink...

Fast forward 20 years to Montreal when I was chatting with a foreign delegation that I was hosting in the lobby of the Chateau Champlain. Cherry was making a grand entrance with his hangers -on when he stopped to sign a few autographs. In my (normally) loud voice I politely asked him how that young man was doing, you know,  that he  sent Wensink to attack. It took about 2 seconds before it registered on him what I meant. I saw my life flash before my eyes, as I stood my ground as he moved forward, but several in his party interceded. That created a lot of Japanese chatter among my guests.

I HATE Cherry and the Broons.

Cherry fits the loony uncle role pretty well, the outfits are a source of humor at least.  I can certainly see the fight/goon fan in him, no need for him to grow up this late in life as he seems to enjoy himself immensely.  

2 hours ago, Big Al said:

The Jets put on a clinic last night.

I was trying to explain to my wife what I meant when when I said the Jets play a heavy game with speed when Big Heavy Buff fired home his goal a minute in!

My wife won't watch hockey with me.  It's just me and Pierre. :(

1 hour ago, Ben Hong said:

I was trying to explain to my wife what I meant when when I said the Jets play a heavy game with speed when Big Heavy Buff fired home his goal a minute in!

1 hour ago, Big Al said:

My wife won't watch hockey with me.  It's just me and Pierre. :(

Al, Linda has just started to watch hockey with me a couple or three years ago. She was never a fan but she was a big fan of what got me excited...her story! She's always got her knitting with her as we watch the game and sometimes she even gets excited enough to drop a stitch!!

On 5/12/2018 at 9:01 AM, Tom Avent said:

Jeff, I am hurt. Every year when the Pens kick our butts, I go on to root for them. Give my Caps some love!

OK, how is this?  The Caps just beat the twice defending Cup winners in 6 outplaying them in every facet of the game.  Anyone who does not take this team seriously is going to be golfing really soon.  They are fast, skilled and run 4 lines deep.  

On 5/12/2018 at 11:42 AM, Big Al said:

they do not want to have to put up with obnoxious Bruin and Penguin fans (and they are obnoxious). 

Wait, what!!!???? Pens fans obnoxious?  We are not the noveau riche of the NFL with 5 Cups, this is a sold fan base.  In the playoff's thus far, city with the highest TV viewership* for their team's games:  Pittsburgh!  Not Nashville where they don't yet know there is an "e" in hockey, not Winnipeg though it's a Canadian team, not Tampa, not DC, not even Vegas.  Best travelling team in the NHL too, more Pens fans at road games than any other team by a large margin.   Go ahead and hate us, try to keep us out.  Just try!  Now I do agree with you about Boston...  B|

* Neilson TV ratings, PGH #1 for Hockey this post season

16 hours ago, Ben Hong said:

I have moved past that stage, now I tolerate him like a senile old uncle.

This is a true story. In 1972 or 73. I lived in Halifax where the Habs' AHL farm team, the Nova Scotia Voyageurs was based. In a preseason exhibition game the visitors were the Rochester Americans coached by Don Cherry. He had a few goons on the roster who were looking for an NHL job, one of them was a real knuckle dragger named John Wensink. In the "good old days", there were almost no restrictions on fighting and Wnsink went a-hunting. The guy he targeted was a young American college grad looking for a job, feisty but not a fighter. Weighed 165 lbs to the goon's 215 and 6 inches shorter. Long story short, the kid had his head bashed against the ice 3-4 times and spent 2 full years in recovery, ending all hope of hockey. When Cherry was named coach of the Bruins 4 years later, The first person he requested was Wensink...

Fast forward 20 years to Montreal when I was chatting with a foreign delegation that I was hosting in the lobby of the Chateau Champlain. Cherry was making a grand entrance with his hangers -on when he stopped to sign a few autographs. In my (normally) loud voice I politely asked him how that young man was doing, you know,  that he  sent Wensink to attack. It took about 2 seconds before it registered on him what I meant. I saw my life flash before my eyes, as I stood my ground as he moved forward, but several in his party interceded. That created a lot of Japanese chatter among my guests.

I HATE Cherry and the Broons.

Ben, this story above about goonery and thuggery in hockey will kill the sport today, it makes me cringe.  Even when Cherry says something complimentary about the Pens, I still can't stand it.  BTW, you will hate to read this but his peacockery is downright Subbanesque.  Or vice versa.  They remind me of each other, neither can get enough attention.