Fire Marshal Bill

Red Sox

gundogpa
14 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

It's a bit surreal. Look at that Fenway, bursting at the seams with filled seats compared to crickets at other bigger and newer parks. Real glad the new pitcher In the rotation had a good day today, and man did he have offensive support. I'm real happy to see Swihart doing so well too. Finally getting hot at the plate, catching and even played  third base today making great plays....and he bats without gloves. Gotta love it.  What a year to be a New Englander. 

There are several things fueling this fantastic year. Players playing up to their potential is one.......but I have to say the manager has to be doing something right, it's the only way so many player contribute like they have been doing.

Brad Eden
1 hour ago, gundogpa said:

There are several things fueling this fantastic year. Players playing up to their potential is one.......but I have to say the manager has to be doing something right, it's the only way so many player contribute like they have been doing.

I agree. He has no problem sitting down outstanding, even players on a roll to rest them, and let another player have a go in a game. I think that keeps the players honest and humble and motivated.  I was perplexed at why JBJ got so much slack when he was slumping bad. That recent catch and overall defensice game and his newly energized bat has me eating crow.

Kemo Sabe
2 hours ago, gundogpa said:

Alex Cora has done a great job managing the Red Sox. He's being mentored by one of MLB's  all time greats, Tony LaRussa who's currently in the Red Sox's front office.

Getting rid of Hanley Ramirez was a very smart move.

gundogpa

With no trade chips DD has brought in Eovaldi, Pearce and now Kinsler. He gave up fungible bull pen arms, or low minors players.....some with value but not a lot. He has done a fantastic job building a team this year.  A bench of Nunez, Swihart, Holt and Pearce is excellent, with Lin in the minors.  I wonder if there is a bullpen arm coming still.....I kind of hope he stands pat with what we have.

atticus

42 games over 500 and near .700 baseball.  Heck of a regular season so far and lots of home games and days off down the stretch.

jeff88

Pirates have won 14 of the last 20.  We will be seeing you RSoxers in the WS and de-pantsing you like we did the Yankees in '60.  Bwah-ha-ha-ha!

...then the alarm went off and I woke up...

Brad Eden

I feel bad for Pedroia. They just signed Ian Kinsler for second base duties. He's always been compared to Pedroia and is considered on par. He was replaced as the starting shortstop in college by Pedroia and transferred to another school because of it. Heard that from a baseball talking head last night during the game. Dustin is the lost and forgotten player, and at his age I don't think he can make up back with such a screwed up knee.

Fire Marshal Bill
2 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

I feel bad for Pedroia. They just signed Ian Kinsler for second base duties. He's always been compared to Pedroia and is considered on par. He was replaced as the starting shortstop in college by Pedroia and transferred to another school because of it. Heard that from a baseball talking head last night during the game. Dustin is the lost and forgotten player, and at his age I don't think he can make up back with such a screwed up knee.

I think you are right Brad. Because of his age I think he is pretty much finished. With the acquisition of Kinsler the writing is pretty much on the wall. I too feel bad for him, he has been the glue for the Sox for a long time. Its a shame to see him go down like this. But that's pro sports; what have you done for me lately. 

Grifish

The Sox made the Phils look like contenders.

Fire Marshal Bill

They are contenders. Aren't they in first place in their division?

gunsrus
4 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Yup , he's done but don't feel too bad for him . I think he's got two years left on his contract for "how many million" !

Did I mention , I hate long term contracts !!! They ALWAYS COME BACK AND BITE YOU IN THE ARSE !

gundogpa
15 hours ago, gunsrus said:

Yup , he's done but don't feel too bad for him . I think he's got two years left on his contract for "how many million" !

Did I mention , I hate long term contracts !!! They ALWAYS COME BACK AND BITE YOU IN THE ARSE !

They can bite you........but if you don't offer them .....no one will play for you. No one good.

gundogpa
19 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Well it sure doesn't look like pedroia will be back this year. Getting Kinsler is a great move.

Next year kinsler will be gone and if Pedroias knee allows it, he will be back at second base. Sure it sucks to be without him this year but injuries happen. My guess is he comes back and has a couple decent years. He was still playing elite defense when he was hurt.....hoping for the best.

Brad Eden

If there ever was a player that wasn't in it for the money, its Pedey. Not that he would donate it all to charity but still. 

I sure aint missing Manley Hanley.

No Sale day either for Yankees series. That sucks. He's history to the eye.

gundogpa

Tough stretch coming up. With injuries to Sale, E-rod, Devers, xander and Moreland.........we'll see if Cora can over come that and some other players can step up.