• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• topdog1961

• stripersonfly

• Karpteach

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Everyone likes a feel good story about wild critters getting saved. From my experience and observation it's usually hunters releasing antler locked bucks and freeing deer from fences and risking their

I'm actually weary of defending hunters and hunting to the general public. I've spent over 12 years writing a traditional outdoor column for non-hunter regional Maine magazines and always portray hunt

“Antis” should be not be the concern and focus, while all “hunters” should never be assumed equal in ethics or held blameless re “looking bad”. Ohio is thick with examples of deer hunters and a s

Posted Images

Brad Eden

Doesn't matter. Non-hunters see a rifle, shotgun or arrow and they think "hunters" and "hunting" instead of poachers and morons. It's been programmed into their heads by mainstream idiot media. Those are target points...no bow hunter would shoot a deer without using a broad head.

Chukarman
21 hours ago, topdog1961 said:

I wish CNN had explained that it's not deer hunting season and these are not deer hunting arrows and that sportsmen want this person caught more than anyone else. 

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/05/01/us/oregon-deer-arrow-reward-trnd/index.html

from the CNN site on this story...

The Oregon Hunters Association is offering a $2,600 reward for information leading to the arrest of the person responsible.

"Poaching wildlife and damaging habitats affects present and future generations of wildlife, impacts communities and the economy, and creates enforcement challenges," state police said.

Whoever did this was working outside of hunting season, too. The archery season for hunting deer in Oregon generally runs from mid-August to late September and from mid-November to mid-December, according to the state Department of Fish and Wildlife.

stripersonfly

That is just awful.  Hate to say it, but it is probably just a kid, "playing" with his new bow.  No idea how horrible his actions are, or just doesn't care.  Really makes me sick. 

I remember a few years ago, there was a story in the national news where a duck had been hit with a target arrow.  It too was skewered, but was swimming and even flying around.  The spectacle it made, I am sure, turned more than a few people anti-hunting. 

topdog1961
1 hour ago, Chukarman said:

from the CNN site on this story...

It looks like that was added between the time I originally read the story and when posted, or currently linked. I didn't reread when I posted it but am glad it contains that info. An explanation that these are not hunting broadheads designed to take game would also have been helpful to non-hunters. 

Brad Eden

I'm actually weary of defending hunters and hunting to the general public. I've spent over 12 years writing a traditional outdoor column for non-hunter regional Maine magazines and always portray hunters in a positive light. It's challenging given what we are up against. I mean...When someone speeds and crashes a car, people don't call them race car drivers. But anything that gets shot by any weapon and it was a hunter. We are a minority and it shows in all aspects of society from completely inaccurate portrayals of guns and hunting in movies and Tv shows, to news reports like this. Tiresome.

Karpteach

This is sick! Unfortunately, there are many “hunters” that would take marginal shots. I’ve had the horror of hunting with some. The broadhead  seems like it’s from a hunter not a kid target shooting. I hope they catch him and castrations ensue!

stripersonfly

Unless I am missing something, I do not see broadheads...I just see a couple of target points. 

Brad Eden
2 minutes ago, Karpteach said:

This is sick! Unfortunately, there are many “hunters” that would take marginal shots. I’ve had the horror of hunting with some. The broadhead  seems like it’s from a hunter not a kid target shooting. I hope they catch him and castrations ensue!

Those are target heads not broadheads. If broadheads those deer would be dead. Obviously not a hunter but someone screwing around with their bow. The fact it isn't bow hunting season is further evidence it is not a "hunter" that flung those arrows.

Regardless, bowhunting is a game of inches. This buck was taken with my bow last season and although I am a seasoned bow hunter, I shot high, spined him and had to fisnish him off with a second arrow. Not proud if that but glad I took him nonetheless.

IMG_0517.JPG

3 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

I'm actually weary of defending hunters and hunting to the general public. I've spent over 12 years writing a traditional outdoor column for non-hunter regional Maine magazines and always portray hunters in a positive light. It's challenging given what we are up against. I mean...When someone speeds and crashes a car, people don't call them race car drivers. But anything that gets shot by any weapon and it was a hunter. We are a minority and it shows in all aspects of society from completely inaccurate portrayals of guns and hunting in movies and Tv shows, to news reports like this. Tiresome.

I relish the challenge. Without delving into the politics, I happily point out to my would be moral superiors that if they eat meat or eggs, and purchase items wrapped in plastic they are in no position to discuss hunting with me. They cannot make an argument that they care for animal welfare or conservation more than me. They show only their ignorance on the topic. Just a brief discussion on mega farms, slaughterhouses, excessive hormone/antibiotic use and the plastic island twice the size of Texas in the Pacific shuts them down. The dolphins washing up on the beach don't have arrows in them. It's 10lbs of plastic bags and Keurig cups tangled in their guts. (Disclaimer: I'm known to enjoy a dainty Keurig cup now and again.  <.<)

Karpteach
14 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Those are target heads not broadheads. If broadheads those deer would be dead. Obviously not a hunter but someone screwing around with their bow. The fact it isn't bow hunting season is further evidence it is not a "hunter" that flung those arrows.

Regardless, bowhunting is a game of inches. This buck was taken with my bow last season and although I am a seasoned bow hunter, I shot high, spined him and had to fisnish him off with a second arrow. Not proud if that but glad I took him nonetheless.

IMG_0517.JPG

I stand corrected. It was an optical illusion on the second picture, 

Brad Eden
Just now, Karpteach said:

I stand corrected. It was an optical illusion on the second picture, 

All good, I first thought that looked like a mechanical head too.

aerochris

Guys, these pictures look Photo Shopped to me.  Look at the way the arrows are just sitting on top of the photo.  Not to say something like this couldn't or hasn't happened, but these pics looked shopped. 

If you showed an anti a "broadhead" and a target arrow , which do you think the anti would prefer you shoot ?

Brad Eden
1 hour ago, gunsrus said:

If you showed an anti a "broadhead" and a target arrow , which do you think the anti would prefer you shoot ?

I don’t care a whit about antis. Can’t change their minds. I do care about non-hunters who are highly influenced.