REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
dogrunner

Ford Ranger.

Dogwood
1 hour ago, terrym said:

The problem is these mid sized trucks usually cost near what a full sized one does at similar gas mileage. 

Doesn't seem to matter to Tacoma owners and clearly Toyota has sold a few.  Some folks prefer a smaller vehicle regardless for parking, turn radius, more nimble off road. Price be damned.  That Ranger will sell well IMO, and the seats won't suck like the Taco.

lee sykes

I would guess after 30 years,  there is no reason to assume that the new version is not significantly better. 

chilly460

Basically any vehicle from the 80s was a POS from a quality and performance perspective, amazing how far vehicles have come. 

Dakota Dogman
11 hours ago, chilly460 said:

Basically any vehicle from the 80s was a POS from a quality and performance perspective, amazing how far vehicles have come. 

Yeah, after IH gave up on the Scout the car world went into morning that it is only just recently recovering from.😎

God bless, 

Edited by Dakota Dogman
Spell check on phone grabbed wrong word

Brad Eden
7 hours ago, Dakota Dogman said:

Yeah, after IH gave up on the Scout the car world went into morning that it is only just recently recovering from.😎

God bless, 

IMG_0256.JPG

True dat....miss this old warrior even if it did sway back and forth on the highway. (Engine compartment was cavernous with the 6 cylinder...could climb in and do your own maintenance)

Dogwood
43 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

IMG_0256.JPG

True dat....miss this old warrior even if it did sway back and forth on the highway. (Engine compartment was cavernous with the 6 cylinder...could climb in and do your own maintenance)

https://www.grautogallery.com/vehicles/5970/1979-international-scout

There.  Found one for you Scout kooks.  Only 21 grand.  Fathers Day gift.

Brad Eden
5 minutes ago, Dogwood said:

https://www.grautogallery.com/vehicles/5970/1979-international-scout

There.  Found one for you Scout kooks.  Only 21 grand.  Fathers Day gift.

Geez, thanks Jeff! I will certainly help pay for the shipment from CA to ME. Just send me the specifics, etc. wicked generous of you!

Dogwood
1 hour ago, Brad Eden said:

Geez, thanks Jeff! I will certainly help pay for the shipment from CA to ME. Just send me the specifics, etc. wicked generous of you!

Forward the link to JoAnn cheapskate.  She ain't afraid to write a check.  Or so I'm told. 

Don Steese

It sure does look like the new, reinvented, Ridgeline. Both appear to be  nice little trucks.

terrym

Growing up a buddy of mine's father worked for IH and their company vehicles were Scouts and Travelalls. They weren't anything near what an SUV has morphed into. Then again a pothole hit didn't cause $ thousands in repairs then. 

Dakota Dogman

Makes you wonder how fast the SUV market would have changed if the inventors had gotten the Scout SSV to go to market.  Way ahead of its time, & it was small instead of huge like the Bronco's, Blazers, Jeep Cherokee / Wagoner, etc.

Truth be, none of the cars from the "good old days" are much like the current crop; but oh well.  At least we still got the privilege of driving our own cars.

God Bless,

Flush

As a kid we had a Scout II, as an adult I owned and restored a Scout 800. 

They are cool vehicles that are pretty easy and fun to work on.

With that said there are actually quite a few new vehicles that are better in every single functional way, including off road capability, than any stock Scout (or any other vehicle of that era) ever was.

True there are a lot of "soft-roader" SUVs that are car based and have limited real off road capability but these vehicles have really replaced cars in the market.

If you want something newer that is off road capable there are quite a few options, not a ton of SUVs but if you include trucks there are actually a good number of options. And you should include trucks because unlike the days of the Scout, modern trucks are quiet and comfortable for long distances that have roomy rear seats for the whole family.

Here's a few with good out of the box off-roading ability. If my life depended on making it to a distant location across difficult terrain, I'd take any of the following over any stock Scout or any other stock domestic truck/Suv from the 60s or 70s. For long distance trips over many highway miles, the difference between the new stuff and the old stuff is even more stark.

Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (solid front axle, front and rear lockers, electronic disconnect sway bars)

Toyota 4Runner (or Tacoma) TRD pro (electronic rear locker)

Ford F150 Raptor (electronic rear locker)

Ram powerwagon (solid front axle, disconnect sway bars, front and rear locker)

Chevy Colorado ZR2 (front and rear lockers)

Ram 1500 rebel (rear locker)

Like I said, I'm a fan of Scouts and have owned them but the reality is modern vehicles overall are just better vehicles, although obviously more expensive.  

There is rumors of the new Ranger being offered in a Raptor like package too.

Brad Eden

Yeah, but imagine what an International Scout would be like today if they had kept developing and building them. We will never know.

Kansas Bound
41 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Yeah, but imagine what an International Scout would be like today if they had kept developing and building them. We will never know.

Image result for toyota jeep

Flush
53 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Imagine not. IH lives. 

steiger_quadtrac_540_0713_mim-0576.jpg