REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
dogrunner

Ford Ranger.

Natty Bumpo
4 hours ago, jeff88 said:

.  Good looking truck for sure.  Ford getting away from cars, doubling down on SUVs and trucks.  

Yes, that strategy works as long as gas prices stay relatively low. But they are creeping steadily up over $3/Gal in many places

Anybody remember what kind of cars people bought during those gas shortages in this country , not too long ago. Very long lines at the pump, rationing and odd/even days you could buy gas??  HINT: It wasn't F150s and Expeditions.

Brad Eden

I contacted Ford and pointed them to this Topic. Good marketing to a pick up crowd. My request to accept a complimentary Ford Ranger and to post a review on UJ was rejected. My Toyota fixation must have been leaked...

Dogwood
2 hours ago, Natty Bumpo said:

Yes, that strategy works as long as gas prices stay relatively low. But they are creeping steadily up over $3/Gal in many places

Anybody remember what kind of cars people bought during those gas shortages in this country , not too long ago. Very long lines at the pump, rationing and odd/even days you could buy gas??  HINT: It wasn't F150s and Expeditions.

Bring back the Ford Pinto and Chevy Vega!

Flush
2 hours ago, Natty Bumpo said:

You are right it's definitely a gamble, or perhaps a calculated risk on Ford's part. 

I think the counter argument that Ford could make is that the US market clearly prefers Trucks and SUVs so lets put our development money, tech and efforts in making more fuel efficient SUVs and Trucks and narrow the fuel economy gap between cars and trucks and SUVs... Not to mention their profit margins are better on trucks and SUVs.

I think that is Ford's argument for spending the developmental money on the smaller eco-boost SUV and trucks (like the new Ranger), Aluminum bodied full size trucks, developing the new 30mpg F-150 diesel etc...

Brad Eden

My father had a chevy vega. His cheap commuter POS in and out of Boston. Honestly, so poorly built and underpowered it wouldn't  be allowed on the road today. It has the distinction of being the very car I watched him drive away in when he bailed on the family...

Windrider
42 minutes ago, Dogwood said:

Bring back the Ford Pinto and Chevy Vega!

Yuck!  My parents had a Vega station wagon and a Vega “GT” LOL.  A bow to the gas crunch and high gas prices of the early 70s.

We called them Munchkin and Bumpkin.  Both were about as close to blaze orange as you could get because you wanted to be seen so no one would hit you in those little cars.  An ambulance ran over m Dad on an icy day in Bumpkin the GT.  They almost had to cut him out of the car.  Broken leg, knee surgery, two broken ribs, and a back surgery 4 years later.

Their direct predecessor was a blue Olds 442.  Even as a child I knew enough to cry when it was traded in.  Their direct successor was a 78 Olds Delta 88 with a suped-up 350 that I inherited in high school.  It was anything but stock dynoing at 315hp at the rear wheels.

67diesel
2 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

I contacted Ford and pointed them to this Topic. Good marketing to a pick up crowd. My request to accept a complimentary Ford Ranger and to post a review on UJ was rejected. My Toyota fixation must have been leaked...

I take credit for the leaking.

kgb
1 hour ago, Windrider said:

Their direct predecessor was a blue Olds 442.  Even as a child I knew enough to cry when it was traded in.  Their direct successor was a 78 Olds Delta 88 with a suped-up 350 that I inherited in high school.  It was anything but stock dynoing at 315hp at the rear wheels.

I hoped to gain my license and do my initial driving in a blue '70 Delta 88 Royale with a white interior.  An icy winter road and a Cadillac in my mom's path ended that dream.

jeff88
17 hours ago, Flush said:

I think the counter argument that Ford could make is that the US market clearly prefers Trucks and SUVs so lets put our development money, tech and efforts in making more fuel efficient SUVs and Trucks and narrow the fuel economy gap between cars and trucks and SUVs... Not to mention their profit margins are better on trucks and SUVs.

Sedans are definitely on the downswing in market share mostly going to small SUVs as the alternative.  Ford seems to have gotten the message and acted quickly.  Ford may believe that if one want's a mid-sized or larger sedan, go check out Lincoln.  Personally, I really like smaller awd wagons such as the VW Alltrack, Subaru and Audi Allroad.  While I drive a mid-sized SUV, my next ride will be a wagon like above or a small SUV.  

jeff88
17 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

My father had a chevy vega. His cheap commuter POS in and out of Boston. Honestly, so poorly built and underpowered it wouldn't  be allowed on the road today. It has the distinction of being the very car I watched him drive away in when he bailed on the family...

Brad, I hope he broke down or had a flat within minutes of leaving.  

My older brother had a brown Vega he named "$#!+".  He went from a Datsun 510 sedan to that car and hated everything about it.  A friend of mine in college and I drove hers down to Long Key, FL one spring break, it was not a great road mobile.  It hit the trifecta of awfulness:  Bad ride, bad handling, bad power.  Not sure which was worse, the Pinto, Vega, any Fiat or any Renault of that era.  At east the Euro cars were fun to drive, the Vega was a wrestling match on wheels.  

25/06

I do not know where the narrative comes that Ford is out of the car busines. My brother is an engineer for a company that supplies parts to

many of the Auto makers. He told me he was at a conference where Ford (US) announced 1 Billion dollar investment in hybrid/ electric

development program for the US market. Have you guys seen the new Lincoln?

I owned and hunted out of a 1972 ford pinto. If you put pop on the floor in the back seat it was frozen by the time I made 7 mile drive to school.

Lime Green Ford Pinto a total chick and magnet hunting machine!

jeff88
2 minutes ago, 25/06 said:

I do not know where the narrative comes that Ford is out of the car busines. My brother is an engineer for a company that supplies parts to

many of the Auto makers. He told me he was at a conference where Ford (US) announced 1 Billion dollar investment in hybrid/ electric

development program for the US market. Have you guys seen the new Lincoln?

I owned and hunted out of a 1972 ford pinto. If you put pop on the floor in the back seat it was frozen by the time I made 7 mile drive to school.

Lime Green Ford Pinto a total chick and magnet hunting machine!

Not the car business, the sedan business.  I keep reading that the plan at Ford is to stop producing the Taurus, Fusion and Fiesta.  They may have already stopped the Taurus.   In the States that means the Focus and Mustang will be their only car offerings.  Not sure what Lincoln plans to use for platforms as they base their sedans on Ford's Fusion and Taurus.  Ford reports that they will be adding hybrid/electric drives to their offerings, even in trucks, not just SUVs.  

rideold

I like how the "mid-size" truck segment is about what full was 15 or 20 years ago.  My 02 sequoia has about a 10 inch shorter wheel base and overall length than the mid-size trucks of today.  I was parked next to a new Tacoma yesterday and realized that my big truck wasn't that big after all.  I was thinking that when I replace my sequoia it would be nice to have something a little smaller but I don't think they make much smaller anymore without going to a crossover.

Flush
1 hour ago, 25/06 said:

I do not know where the narrative comes that Ford is out of the car busines.

It's coming from Ford itself, not the auto business, the Car business:

From Ford's press release:

"• Building a winning portfolio and focusing on products and markets where Ford can win. For example, by 2020, almost 90 percent of the Ford portfolio in North America will be trucks, utilities and commercial vehicles. Given declining consumer demand and product profitability, the company will not invest in next generations of traditional Ford sedans for North America. Over the next few years, the Ford car portfolio in North America will transition to two vehicles – the best-selling Mustang and the all-new Focus Active crossover coming out next year."

Ford press release