Jump to content

It's time...for the 2018 Garden Thread.


Recommended Posts

No garden reports from me. Seeded the 70'x16' long time plot down to grass this past weekend. End of an era for me. I worked it all up, put in peas and lettuce a bit over a week ago. Then the bad disk in my back acted up from the stooping and time bent over. This has happen for the past few years but this time it was worse. Took a week to almost get back to even. Hobbling around last week I decided to save my legs and back for hunting and a new pup. Decided to start one more. Good growing to all and enjoy your bounty.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Brad Eden

    22

  • Kansas Big Dog

    14

  • dogrunner

    6

  • SelbyLowndes

    5

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Look what I found in the garden this morning while planting giant sunflowers!

3 different berries off my property,  Mmmmmm. A nice snack today. 

I grow pickling cucumbers and can spicy dill pickles. Last year I canned about 60 quarts. I still have a dozen left from last year. My cukes are blooming well so I think I will not run out.   

Posted Images

1 hour ago, RMH said:

No garden reports from me. Seeded the 70'x16' long time plot down to grass this past weekend. End of an era for me. I worked it all up, put in peas and lettuce a bit over a week ago. Then the bad disk in my back acted up from the stooping and time bent over. This has happen for the past few years but this time it was worse. Took a week to almost get back to even. Hobbling around last week I decided to save my legs and back for hunting and a new pup. Decided to start one more. Good growing to all and enjoy your bounty.

That's too bad. Understandable though.

 

If it weren't for the multiple 4'x8' raised beds we inherited when we bought this place 4 years ago my gardening days may have been over. This particular land is basically gravel. I have a hard time digging a hole for an apple sapling. A tiller wouldn't last long.That is in contrast to the old place where we lived for 26 years. It was an organic farm/garden operation before we bought it. I had big ground tilled plots and grew large blocks of corn, pumpkins, you name it. I miss that but at my age and justvthe two of us, we grow plenty for our needs and the raised beds are much easier on the back.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Almost done. Putting in squashes and some herbs like Basil today. Tomatoes and cukes went in yesterday. A little early but I was anxious and the black plastic mulch has warmed the soil. Now just waiting for fruition!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m almost done. Planted some 🌽 today and will finish planting it tomorrow. Only thing I have left to get in is the zucchini and yellow squash. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Planted onions and peas last month but a rabbit found its way in and now my thick green pea plants are brown round pellets. Tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers,  beans, and brussel sprouts are in. Harvested the asparagus last month along with horseradish.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Kansas Big Dog

Normally, for the last three years, I have grown organic produce and sold the produce at local Farmer's Markets. This year I am only selling my strawberries and planting veggies to eat. It was really cold here this spring so the berries are about 10 days later than normal. I weed my strawberry rows when I do the first picking. Here is a pic of one of my beds. The two early rows are weeded and the late variety I am starting to pick today. In the back ground is a plot of winter wheat I sowed in as a cover crop but because I am not growing anything there this year it is going to seed.

 

Well, I was going to post some pictures but it says I can only post 150 KB, so no pictures.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kansas Big Dog said:

....

 

Well, I was going to post some pictures but it says I can only post 150 KB, so no pictures.

 

 

 

 

KBD,

As a Contributing Member you can upload photos as large as 7mb (7000kb's)which frankly is large in general, and humongous by web viewing standards. And once loaded the software drops the size down to save space but still look good. So Im not sure what the issue could be. If larger than 7mb you can use a resize tool that a UJ Member created and then Upload those resized photos. Link below.

 

UJ Photo Resize Tool

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

 

KBD,

As a Contributing Member you can upload photos as large as 7mb (7000kb's)which frankly is large in general, and humongous by web viewing standards. And once loaded the software drops the size down to save space but still look good. So Im not sure what the issue could be. If larger than 7mb you can use a resize tool that a UJ Member created and then Upload those resized photos. Link below.

 

UJ Photo Resize Tool

 

 

 

Thanks to whomever created that tool and for posting it Brad. I've been emailing photos to myself to resize them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marc Ret said:

 

Thanks to whomever created that tool and for posting it Brad. I've been emailing photos to myself to resize them. 

Member Browndrake is the digital wizard.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Kansas Big Dog
6 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

 

KBD,

As a Contributing Member you can upload photos as large as 7mb (7000kb's)which frankly is large in general, and humongous by web viewing standards. And once loaded the software drops the size down to save space but still look good. So Im not sure what the issue could be. If larger than 7mb you can use a resize tool that a UJ Member created and then Upload those resized photos. Link below.

 

UJ Photo Resize Tool

 

 

I had already resized them, 800x600. The error message said I had exceed the 150 KB limit. Usually my pictures are in the 200 to 300 KB size. The size restriction has been constantly decreasing from the 7 mb level to this, kinda hard to post that small.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Kansas Big Dog said:

I had already resized them, 800x600. The error message said I had exceed the 150 KB limit. Usually my pictures are in the 200 to 300 KB size. The size restriction has been constantly decreasing from the 7 mb level to this, kinda hard to post that small.

 

Oh I get it. I checked. You are at 99% of your allotted 100mb of storage space for photos. Has nothing to do with the size of individual photos. Info provided on the Photo Uploading/Resizing Topic:

 

...with a max upload storage space per member of 100mb's. (Both extremely generous considering a 200kb and less file is perfectly web friendly. 1000kb=1mb) This should cover those people who take large photos and are unable to downsize on their own.

 

If you can't upload a photo then it is probably over 7mb in size or your upload storage is full. Here is how to manage/delete your uploads:

 

1, Click arrow/drop down menu next to User Name on upper right.

2, Click "My Attachments"

3, Check the % bar to see where your upload storage is at.

4, Your uploads are listed, click the trash can next to any photo you want removed, to open up space. (Start from oldest so current Topics aren't missing photos.)

 

So, prune some older photos and you will be fine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Kansas Big Dog

Got it.

 

Strawberry patch. I weed each row when I do the first picking. The first 2 rows are an early variety called Earlyglo. The other 4 rows are a later variety called Jewel. Started on them yesterday. You can see my winter wheat patch in the background.

 

IMAG0194.thumb.jpg.83776a3a7099ca83b12efe381771b2f7.jpg

 

Winter wheat. Not sure what I will do with the winter wheat, May leave it as a food and habitat plot for quail.

 

IMAG0193.thumb.jpg.0ae0edb5552d9a7b84c641fe7f587061.jpg

 

This is my asparagus patch. I did not pick any to sell this year, it has been so dry I just let it go.

 

IMAG0195.thumb.jpg.274ea5e8ccf65908bac0432e323e3763.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Look what I found in the garden this morning while planting giant sunflowers!9EF69C96-1089-454A-A2CF-EC00EDC135FB.thumb.jpeg.66ddfea6117487f2892aed1760c48c9d.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...