It's time...for the 2018 Garden Thread.

IMG_0750.JPG

Eldest Lexi with her Cavs in the Garden of Eden.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• Kansas Big Dog

• dogrunner

• SelbyLowndes

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Look what I found in the garden this morning while planting giant sunflowers!

3 different berries off my property,  Mmmmmm. A nice snack today. 

I grow pickling cucumbers and can spicy dill pickles. Last year I canned about 60 quarts. I still have a dozen left from last year. My cukes are blooming well so I think I will not run out.   

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

IMG_0750.JPG

Eldest Lexi with her Cavs in the Garden of Eden.

I don't see the apple tree but everything else looks like it's growing good 

How many beds, Brad? I have 8. My set up is very much like yours except I have mulch and mine is fenced to keep out rabbits, dogs and deer. With that said., I have a rabbit nest in my potatoes, like every year.  : /  They slip by my dogs, and nest in my garden. Their kittens wean and get trapped in the garden. The dogs proceed to try and dig in the garden. I say many bad words and my yearly garden ritual is fulfilled. 

9 hours ago, Korthaar said:

How many beds, Brad? I have 8. My set up is very much like yours except I have mulch and mine is fenced to keep out rabbits, dogs and deer. With that said., I have a rabbit nest in my potatoes, like every year.  : /  They slip by my dogs, and nest in my garden. Their kittens wean and get trapped in the garden. The dogs proceed to try and dig in the garden. I say many bad words and my yearly garden ritual is fulfilled. 

Ten 4x8, and one 4x6 herb bed. Two are dedicated strawberry beds.  You can see in photo I have some chicken wire around some beds, and also had netting over the rest earlier. All low enough to be able to reach in and tend beds etc. Despite a lot of deer around they stay away because of the lay of our land with a Marsh that circles out back a bit. We have a problem with snowshoe hare, thus the wire and netting. I also keep netting over the strawberrys to keep birds out, but red squirrels and chipmunks slip in on sides and steal berries. I've caught one squirrel and a chipmunk the last couple days in a small havahart trap. The dogs stay out of garden.

Cdy00009.JPG

My garden nemesis...

Kansas Big Dog

Have been picking about 20 lbs of pickling cucumbers every other day. I have canned 36 quarts of spicy dill pickles and 5 quarts of bread and butter sweet pickles. I have enough cooling in the fridg now to do 12 more quarts and I will be done. Will probably start selling them. This is my patch of a dozen cucumber plants.

20180626_103745_resized_1.thumb.jpg.df1149b734435e03dfc232358c2e5c6e.jpg

Before the 100 F plus weather we have experienced the last couple days, we actually got 8/10 of an inch of rain. The biggest rain we have had this season. Look mud on the boots.

20180626_104027_resized.thumb.jpg.925e22830a4b8508ca65461c7fb3b561.jpg

SelbyLowndes

We, that is Emily and I and the squirrels and birds have been eating tomatoes out of the garden Truk on the patio for a couple of weeks now.  Squirrels eat'em green and the redbirds peck'em soon as they blush.  I just cut around the holes...SelbyLowndes 

On 5/14/2018 at 7:50 AM, Kansas Big Dog said:

I have been growing organic produce and selling it at local farmer's markets for the last 3 years. I cultivate  about an acre and a half. Of the ground, 1/3 acre is in strawberries. I use the matted row method for growing strawberries and they have been profitable. Most all the other produce I grow has not been very profitable and so this year I have decide to not grow vegetables to sell, but just to eat. I sowed over an acre into winter wheat last fall as a cover crop. Since I am not planning on using the ground this year, I am letting it head out. My wheat is turning out pretty good considering how dry it has been. I have a couple 1/2 acre plots.

IMAG0162.thumb.jpg.95767b0b973c4c99901dca7a40629eab.jpg

IMAG0165.thumb.jpg.eedc68a44f776f12c53f29d52c49d3f2.jpg

The first picture show a couple rows of my early berries blooming. They are setting fruit now and I will be picking berries next week. I have 12 rows of berries. Three different varieties that fruit at different times; early, mid and late.

Looks like a nice food plot:D

In the last two days Ive caught two red squirrels and two chipmunks in my small havahart trap set in the raised beds, baited with strawberrys. Too soft hearted to kill, so they are being transported a mile from house and released. The hares have been thwarted, but everything is well under way so if I saw any out there Id give them a pass.

On 6/29/2018 at 7:53 PM, gunsrus said:

I don't see the apple tree but everything else looks like it's growing good 

Id need an excavator to just dig a hole big enough to plant an apple tree root ball...all gravel...I understand now why the previous owners did raised beds. :/

Kansas Big Dog
11 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

In the last two days Ive caught two red squirrels and two chipmunks in my small havahart trap set in the raised beds, baited with strawberrys. Too soft hearted to kill, so they are being transported a mile from house and released. The hares have been thwarted, but everything is well under way so if I saw any out there Id give them a pass.

You need more natural predators. The hawks, owls, bobcats and coyotes keep my produce varmint free. In late May when it was unusually hot and dry, the coyotes were even eating a few strawberries. I could tell  by their dung. First time I noticed that.

sxsneubaum

Changed tactics this year for the garden,  been using newspaper and mulch to keep weeds down.  But I can't keep up in August in September.  Have a small open spot for lettuce, radishes, beets, flowers, spinach, kale, etc.  The rest I put down landscape fabric to keep the weeds down.  It's been working great. This is the first year sweet corn was planted, never had any luck with it producing. 

I plant spinach and lettuce in February and wait for it come up and then plant cool weather crops again in mid July.
My issue is I love beet greens and beets, but so do the rabbits.  I plant several varieties of lettuce, spinach and beets in a patch, the rabbits will comb through the lettuce to eat the beet greens.  Kept the dog out there a lot this year.  That's helped to the point where I actually have beets.

Post pictures of early June and then today. 

Garden June #2.JPG

Garden June .JPG

Garden July #2.JPG

Garden July #3.JPG

Garden July.JPG

2 hours ago, Kansas Big Dog said:

You need more natural predators. The hawks, owls, bobcats and coyotes keep my produce varmint free. In late May when it was unusually hot and dry, the coyotes were even eating a few strawberries. I could tell  by their dung. First time I noticed that.

Actually we have plenty of all mentioned. I often get trail cam photos of coyotes and sometimes Bobcat on the property.  And the sightings of all manner of raptors can be seen from the deck, as they dive bomb the marsh for ducklings and goslings etc., etc. Maybe they are too well fed and can't be bothered with squirrels and chipmunks. o.O