It's time...for the 2018 Garden Thread.

Just picked my first jalapeño of the season. Corn is about 2 foot tall. Swiss chard will be ready in a few days. Tomatoes are growing but won’t be ready for awhile yet.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• Kansas Big Dog

• dogrunner

• SelbyLowndes

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Look what I found in the garden this morning while planting giant sunflowers!

3 different berries off my property,  Mmmmmm. A nice snack today. 

I grow pickling cucumbers and can spicy dill pickles. Last year I canned about 60 quarts. I still have a dozen left from last year. My cukes are blooming well so I think I will not run out.   

Posted Images

3 different berries off my property,  Mmmmmm. A nice snack today. 

DAC64A3F-B465-4025-82FC-8C5AA56C40CD.jpeg

On 6/30/2018 at 5:06 PM, henryrski said:

Kale is a weed IMO

Maybe so but I’m have a bowl of them tonight. 

5B7B98E6-F3DF-49A6-812A-DEE34E0A0E8A.jpeg

On 2018-06-29 at 3:39 PM, Brad Eden said:

IMG_0750.JPG

Eldest Lexi with her Cavs in the Garden of Eden.

Is that a marijuana patch in the far right corner? B| not that it's anybody's business......

1 hour ago, terrym said:

Is that a marijuana patch in the far right corner? B| not that it's anybody's business......

Nnnaaaahhhh, Potatoes...

Kansas Big Dog
1 hour ago, terrym said:

If it is, Brad got some bad seed. xD

On 7/1/2018 at 5:35 PM, terrym said:

What made you think that?  Familiar sight?  B|

IMG_0754.JPG

I was composting before it became hipster and cool. Composted for 26 years at old place, throwing stuff in a wire enclosure and turning it with a pitchfork. A bit of a PIA really. Then I would spread it over my gardens and till it in every spring with the trusty Troybilt. But I got lazy after we sold and then bought, and inherited raised beds. Should have started composting vegetable and fruit kitchen scraps, coffee grinds etc.,etc. 4 years ago, but decided to get a rolling barrel composter and start again. This unit gets decent reviews and I like that it's upright and not lying in its side. Glad I had the sense to watch an assembly video on YouTube. Directions were crap and I saved a load of pissedoffishness. Seems solid, except for the lame lids on each end. 

Still swimming in lettuce, kale and spinach. Starting to pick some green peppers and baby summer squash and zucchini. Strawberries gone by. Cukes are flowering and potato plants are flopping over so new potatoes soon. Broccoli and cauliflower are starting to form heads, and tomatoes are under way.... but we have to wait forever for red tomatoes up here.

Thats a neat composter . we have one those role barrel types found at a yard sale. Our garden not doing so hot this year few squash  couple tomatoes think all rain early plus not seeing the bees around this year need to pollinate stuff got nice mater plants have couple maters but no blooms after that

Tomato question:  I grow mine in large containers with cages.  Prune them back at some point for max yield or let 'em keep growing?

Kansas Big Dog

Pruning tomato plants depends on the variety. Most heirloom varieties should be pruned. Some hybrids should not be pruned. Depends on if the variety is a determinant, all tomatoes ripen in a short amount of time. Or an indeterminant with a much longer bearing season. I would google the variety you have planted and see what other folks are doing.

8 hours ago, Kansas Big Dog said:

Pruning tomato plants depends on the variety. Most heirloom varieties should be pruned. Some hybrids should not be pruned. Depends on if the variety is a determinant, all tomatoes ripen in a short amount of time. Or an indeterminant with a much longer bearing season. I would google the variety you have planted and see what other folks are doing.

Thank you.  I have 3 heirloom varieties and one Early Girl.  I'll try pruning the heirlooms and see what gives.

I start out snapping off all the suckers on tomatoe plants (The shoots that start at the crotch of branches) Then they get ahead of me and I let it go. I should be more diligent for yield, ease of care and it's good to have a lot of air circulation otherwise rot and blight can occur. I have a couple deck planters with tomatoe plants that are contained in wire cages I stick in pots. I have over a dozen in a raised bed that I have staked and I use 8-11 inch zip ties to keep them upright on stakes.

Here is a tip on getting ripe tomatoes. Up here in the far northeast we wait forever for tomatoes to turn red. If I get over anxious I will take a spade or a shovel and cut around a plant or plants around 8-10 inches from stalk and about a foot down. That cuts a lot of roots, doesn't kill the plant but prompts it to ripen the fruit.

1 hour ago, Brad Eden said:

Here is a tip on getting ripe tomatoes. Up here in the far northeast we wait forever for tomatoes to turn red. If I get over anxious I will take a spade or a shovel and cut around a plant or plants around 8-10 inches from stalk and about a foot down. That cuts a lot of roots, doesn't kill the plant but prompts it to ripen the fruit.

When do you do this?