REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
atticus

Tundra question 4.6 vs 5.7

atticus

I have been told by my mechanic that its time to start seriously looking to replace my Tundra.  It is an '02 which I bought in August 2001--some 17 years and 328000 miles ago.  I knew this day was coming and have been thinking about what I want and that's going to be another tundra with a cap. 

The question I have is, do I really need the 5.7 engine when I do not tow anything and the 4.6 has been so great on my current tundra?  If I go 4.6 will the truck  be "under-powered" for just highway, around town and dirt roads in Northern New England?  The only stuff I haul around is myself and a bunch of fishing or hunting gear--and three setters.  If 4.6 is enough then I would go with it again--especially since the cost seems to be a grand or 2 less.

Any thoughts?

terrym

Sometimes the bigger engine actually gives as good mileage. Our company only buys the 5.7 hemis now as they get respectable mileage. I don't think there is a bad choice in either one though. 

Jim Vander

I have a 2014 with 4.6. I don't tow any thing of consequence so I can't comment on tow capability. I have a 4 hole topper on it so run pretty heavy. I have never felt it was underpowered. Mileage it not all that 16.5 around town and about 17.5 on highway rolling 65ish.

NW River Mac
8 minutes ago, Jim Vander said:

I have a 2014 with 4.6. I don't tow any thing of consequence so I can't comment on tow capability. I have a 4 hole topper on it so run pretty heavy. I have never felt it was underpowered. Mileage it not all that 16.5 around town and about 17.5 on highway rolling 65ish.

That's about what I get with my 08, 5.7 with 198K on it.  However, if I tow anything it drops to 11ish.  

Flush

Fyi your 02 Tundra has a 4.7L V8 and the new Tundras have a new different 4.6L V8. 

I believe there are some common parts but there are definitely a lot of differences between the two engines too. For example the older 4.7 had a timing belt, the newer 4.6 has a timing chain. The older 4.7 had variable timing on the intake valves, the newer engine is dual.

But to answer your question, from my experience you will find the 4.6 plenty of engine for your needs. The newer 4.6 has more hp and torque than your older 4.7.

atticus

So it sounds like the bigger engine is basically for more towing capacity --which I don't need.  That helps a lot. 

Interesting factoid on my tundras  timing belt--I changed the original at 275000 miles.  They told me it was still in great shape. Lucky I guess. 

I sure do hate to move on from my truck. 

I started making calls last night. I wish they still came in green. 

shorebird

I have experience with all three engines being that I have a 4.6, my son drives my old 4.7 with 280k on the clock and my dad has a Sequoia with the 5.7. In day to day driving, I cant tell any difference between all three engines. They all come alive around 3k rpms and handle any terrain with ease. The 5.7 is much stronger when towing  than the other two( I attribute this to greater torque ) but doesn't get better than 16 on the highway and even less when towing. Unless your towing a lot of weight in the mountains the 4.6 will do all you need and get very good mileage while doing it. I've put over 100k on my 4.6 and have never wished for the 5.7. My 4.6 4WD averages 17mpg but I've gotten as high as 22 on occasion. You wont be disappointed in the 4.6 power but the 2nd generation truck is much larger than the 1st generation and may not be to your liking.  I wish Toyota had kept the smaller body size. 

Edited by shorebird
added sentence

shorebird

You may want to look at the V6 Tacoma.

atticus

Unless the "new" Tacoma is significantly bigger than the old one it's a bit too small for my needs. Doesn't hurt to go take a look though. 

shorebird

I don't know if they're bigger inside but they look bigger on the outside. Good luck in your search.

SODAKer

I have a 2011 Tundra 5.7.  I call it the USSS Exxon, 13-15 MPG no matter how you slice it. I don't haul anything and have a topper on it. The biggest benefit is the size of the back seat for travel and transport of others, huge. I can throw a twin air mattress in the bed, close the topper top, leave the tailgate down  and drape a tarp from the inside out over the open tailgate and sleep fairly comfortably if I need to do so. If I didnt need the back seat size, I'd look at a long bed Tacoma, unfortunately the mpg really is that much better for short commute driving vs overall cost; Tacoma's ain't cheap. The other option may be the Honda Ridgeline if you just need a comfortable truck ride without the heavy duty need. 

NVChukarChaser

My brother had the 5.7 for less than a year. His major thing was the gas mileage was deplorable. I had a 5.7 Hemi that would get up there around 17-19 highway and he was lucky to get 14. Pulling a trailer you didn’t miss a gas station. My wife drives a Toyota and the thing is bullet proof with the 3.4 liter I think the world of the Toyota’s but that 5.7 could be harsh with current gas prices.

SODAKer
10 hours ago, NVChukarChaser said:

My brother had the 5.7 for less than a year. His major thing was the gas mileage was deplorable. I had a 5.7 Hemi that would get up there around 17-19 highway and he was lucky to get 14. Pulling a trailer you didn’t miss a gas station. My wife drives a Toyota and the thing is bullet proof with the 3.4 liter I think the world of the Toyota’s but that 5.7 could be harsh with current gas prices.

Agree. Current gas price and higher stinks for a Tundra. I drive 4 miles to work one way daily so commuting doesn't impact me. But if I had a legit commute, I'd be looking for something else transportation wise; the other benefits just wouldn't outweigh the gas expense. 

prairierat

I have a 2010 Tundra with the 4.6. I got it for the same reason, a few grand cheaper than comparable 5.7s. I've had it four years now, trouble-free. Love it. We had 5.7 Tundras as work trucks and I got to directly compare the two. The 5.7 definitely tows better, but if you're not towing heavy loads the 4.6 is great. I generally get anywhere from 15-16 around town and about 16-17 highway.

Dogwood

If you like your 02 that much why not search for a low mileage say 05-06 from the southern states and have it shipped?  They can be had on Autotrader.  Still way cheaper than and 07 +