REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
blanked

Do you rotate your tires yourself or take it in

blanked

I am trying to motivate myself to start doing this.  It takes a whole lot more time to take it in and wait for it.  Do the battery impact guns work?

Cooter Brown

Do you do other work that the impact could help with?  Those things work pretty well, but getting one just for lug nuts seems like overkill.  If I did repair/restoration work on older, rusty vehicles I could justify the cost of an impact.

As it is I have an 18 5/8" Proto (US made) 1/2" drive breaker bar.  I paid less than 30 bucks for it.  That and a couple of deep sockets for the different vehicles cost a hell of a lot less than a battery impact gun.  If I can't get a lug nut off with that setup there's a problem.  I use an old speed handle to spin the nut off when it's loosened.

Of course if you just want a new toy, far be it from me to try to talk anybody out of buying another tool.  I just got yet another socket set a couple of weeks ago.

aje4

I get my oil changed in all my vehicles every 5K miles.  Every other oil change (or 10K miles) I have my tire rotated at the same time....

Bluegill68

I still do my own rotations let’s me check brakes and pay attention to tire wear. 

OceanRoamer

I pick a Saturday morning and go to my local tire and brake place with my iPad to peruse Upland Journal while drinking a cup of coffee to have both my oil changed and tires rotated.

terrym
2 hours ago, blanked said:

Do the battery impact guns work?

They work great. Total game changer. I do half the neighbourhood. 

kgb

I have an electric impact that was part of a set of Ryobi battery powered tools.  Great for spinning lugs off and on (3" studs on my rear axle) but mine will not reach 100lb. I use a longer breaker bar.

When possible I check the balance on tires when I rotate them.  I don't know what a shop would charge to check balance while rotating tires but it might be a good idea to have it done at least every 15k miles if not every 10k or whatever schedule you choose.  When we drove to pick up puppies in Idaho last year my wife was driving when we crossed into Wyoming.  "Oh, look 80mph limit here" was followed by the steering wheel dancing around for as long as she decided to keep up that speed.  Maybe not the worst balance if it takes that much speed to show up, but still not good.

1 hour ago, terrym said:

They work great. Total game changer. I do half the neighbourhood. 

I'm less nice, but they work incredibly well. A million times better than doing lug nuts or bolts by hand. 

Money very well spent if you ask me. 

I do it myself. Wife's car doesn't get rotated though. 

Brad Eden
2 hours ago, aje4 said:

I get my oil changed in all my vehicles every 5K miles.  Every other oil change (or 10K miles) I have my tire rotated at the same time....

^this^

Costs maybe an extra $15-$20 at my local mechanic and takes him maybe 15-20 minutes. 

Brad Eden
1 hour ago, OceanRoamer said:

I pick a Saturday morning and go to my local tire and brake place with my iPad to peruse Upland Journal while drinking a cup of coffee to have both my oil changed and tires rotated.

That's the spirit!

dogrunner

I change my own oil but not that often with a Good synthetic. My tires get done at the shop because I don’t feel like wrestling truck tires. I think tire rotations on a vehicle in good shape can be done a lot less than advertised. Ran a Taurus SHO 24,000 never rotated them they looked great at turn in. Trucks get rotated but like I said if the tire looks good and even and the balance is good I have very few issue on long rotations and get over 60,000 on my truck tires.   

Canuck

I buy my tires at the local tire shop (Kal Tire). They include free balance and rotation every 10,000 km and include free road hazard (puncture) repairs as well. I like them. 

max2

I can remember as a kid doing anything on my vehicles . As I got older found with a busy schedule it was easier to bring to shop and have it done.  Rotation has always been important to me . Now if I have time and anything I feel I can tackle I won't hesitate.

Rotation for me is just front to back . Not like in the old days of shifting them in a circle around the vehicle.

OceanRoamer
1 hour ago, Brad Eden said:

That's the spirit!

A man has to know his priorities! 😉

gunsrus

I had one clown wanted $20 to rotate each tire ...... $80 . I lost that guy . My new guy does it at oil change for next to nothing . I buy my tires through him . A good mechanic is worth his weight in gold .