REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
blanked

Do you rotate your tires yourself or take it in

FlyChamps

The tire shop I use is 2 short blocks from my office and it also does oil changes.  When it needs an oil change I drop it off and walk to work, they call me several hours later when the oil change and tire rotation is complete.  When I leave the office I walk to the shop and pick up my car.  When my wife's car needs an oil change and rotation I take it in so she won't have to wait.  The rotations are free if they installed the tires.

bigdog MN

Change my oil at 5k and rotate my own tires. No impact wrench, old fashioned 4-way wrench. 

Birdcountry70

We have the Snap-on cordless impact guns at my work. They are super powerful and super expensive. At home I have a big compressor and air impact gun which I use when rotating my tires. It saves a lot of time but I still torque them by hand so I don't make them impossible to remove. 

WyomingArt

Costco- rotate and balance free, nitrogen fill and/ or purge on tires they sold.

But I keep the 4 way, breaker bar, cheater and deep sockets handy.

By the way, working on the boat trailer yesterday, had no penetrating oil, used CLP Breakfree,  oil

worked fine, but maybe not as fast as penetrating oil.

Rick Hall

I rotate my own.

But will also note that the first thing I do after buying new tires is break  all the lug nuts with the 4-way I keep in the truck and re-tighten them to a more manageable level while in my driveway, where it's easier than under bad roadside conditions.  Some impact jockeys apparently never changed a tire without.

Cooter Brown
4 minutes ago, Rick Hall said:

I rotate my own.

But will also note that the first thing I do after buying new tires is break  all the lug nuts with the 4-way I keep in the truck and re-tighten them to a more manageable level while in my driveway where it's easier than under bad roadside conditions.  Some impact jockeys apparently never changed a tire without.

I do the same thing.  I had one ham-fisted clod break off not one but two lugs on my truck--not taking the nuts off but putting them on.  He didn't even tell me about and I didn't notice until I got home.

Larry Brown

The place I buy my tires also does free rotation.  I worked in a service station (back when they still existed!) as a kid in high school and college.  Fixed lots of tires, changed lots of tires, etc.  We used a gun, but you do want to be careful not to overtighten.  Don't know about other makes and models, but older Isuzu Troopers were notorious for breaking the bolts if you went too tight with a gun.  I still carry one of the old 4 ways in my truck.  You can apply all the torque you need with one of those.

8 hours ago, Birdcountry70 said:

We have the Snap-on cordless impact guns at my work. They are super powerful and super expensive. At home I have a big compressor and air impact gun which I use when rotating my tires. It saves a lot of time but I still torque them by hand so I don't make them impossible to remove. 

I run them on with an impact on a low setting, and torque by hand. 

I want a set of torque sticks, just because. 

terrym

Word of caution here for the shade tree mechanics. You need a proper torque wrench to finish the job and also recheck the nuts a few days after install. Over tightening can make them impossible to remove with an emergency wrench if you get a flat tire. Most nuts need 100-130 lbs. I bought a torque wrench when I bought my electric impact gun because it's rated to 200lbs which can be a problem. 

Rockdoc

My Dodge Caravan has interesting tire wear. Being front wheel drive and front end heavy it goes through front tires very quickly. In comparison, the rear tires seem to last forever. So, I run the front tires nearly to the wear bars and then move them to the rear, putting new tires on the front. When the new front tires wear down to the wear bars  I shift them to the rear and start over with new front tires. It's a plan that works well for me, I get plenty of wear out of my tires and I only have to replace two tires at a time.

Having worked in several gas stations when I was younger I learned not to trust even getting a simple oil change. As a result I do my own oil changes, however I use synthetic oil (5 quarts of Walmart synthetic costs about $18) and I use extended life oil filters. Using synthetic I can safely change my oil every 10-15K without harming the engine. The engine in my 2005 Dodge Caravan currently has 246K on it and it'll still go 10K before I need to add a quart.

Steve

terrym

I actually don't rotate my tires as I run snow tires from Dec-April so do it at switchover time only. 

Curt

The place I buy my tires offers free rotation every 7000 miles for as long as you own the tires.  I just arrange to drop off the car or truck when one of us reaches that time frame and have them take care of it.

Cooter Brown
1 hour ago, NECarson said:

I want a set of torque sticks, just because. 

What are torque sticks?

Cubby

I rotate twice a year when i swap out the winter/summer tires.

TB Owl

We buy from "Discount Tire" out here and rotations are included every 6,000 miles and re balance every 12,000 plus repairs for leaks in the tread area.