REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
blanked

What’s your favorite big city

Auto-5
9 hours ago, ruff hunter said:

I don’t know if Greeneville, South Carolina counts, but it’s a very cool city!!!

Greenville is a nice town. I took my wife there for some treatments and got a little familiar with the town and people. Despite being associated with a bad time in my life the town and people were very nice and it has a nice proximity to both the sea and mountains so both are readily accessable for short weekend trips.

Brad Eden

Grew up south of Boston. It was a bit of a seedy, dark place, even when I went to art school smack dab in the center on Newbury Street in the mid 70's. My father owned a publishing company not far from the "combat zone" (Strip joint/ bar area). I remember him hurrying us kids along the dirty sidewalks past drunks and bums. My first apt with JoAnn after college was on the outskirts in Porter Square as well as my first job in the art department of a Printing company. I hated living there, and we lasted less than a year before renting 1/2 a house near where I grew up.

Maybe that's why I detest cities, but Boston is rejuvenated and I like visiting it now for Red Sox games, restaurants, historical areas etc. I have to give UJer Uplander and his wife credit for reintroducing me to Boston and all it has to offer the country bumpkin.

WPG Gizmo

I live 40+ miles outside of Boston and it has been at least 25 years since I even went close to it.  There is nothing I need or want that a big city has to offer about the only one I might go to is Montreal and that is only every dozen or so years.

I prefer a town with less then 20K  the town I grew up in only had 500 people give or take

Did I mention I hate crowds B|

blanked

I am surprised Prague doesn’t have any interest

gaberdeen

Not a big city fan either but I have to say Victoria on Vancouver Island was very nice. I really enjoyed Florence Italy also when I was there 2 years ago.

Randy S

Most people I know living in a suburb of a big city live a medium-sized town life. They only frequent the local bars and restaurants and avoid the downtown as much as possible. I lived in a small town in Nebraska for a year and found that the "locals" were much less friendly than when I lived in downtown Mpls. Small town argued about their neighbor getting a lower interest rate, shopping out of town, how much they did or didn't drink, golf... 

When I lived in downtown Mpls. no one cared where you worked, who you slept with or how much money you did or didn't make. That indifference is friendly to me.  In ten years of living in Mpls, I have far more recollections of people going out of their way to help a stranger than the 50 years living in small towns.

One such instance I was attempting to push a co-worker's car out of 6"s of slush in a downtown parking space when a guy in a suit left his briefcase on the sidewalk and waded into the street to help me push. We both got splattered head to toe as the woman fishtailed into traffic and the guy just smiled and waved her off. That's friendly.   

Brad Eden

I think it's only natural the vast majority of UJers would rather not spend a lot of time in a city, given the focus of this discussion community. If this Board was focused on vegetarian food trucks that would be another story.

While my eldest daughter is here in Maine her husband is in NYC riding a rental bike around the city, and visiting friends and eating at every vegetarian restaurant and food truck he can find. NTTAWWT

My youngest daughters live in boyfriend (PHD grad student in geology) is in South Africa at a Geology conference, staying a couple nights in a wildlife preserve...now that is cool...

fishvik

I'm definitely not a big city guy, I lived and worked in the boonies for the majority of my adult life. I grew up 45 miles from NYC and was born there. It and San Francisco are probably my favorite. Both because of the characters that inhabit them. Great human wildlife watching. Nice to visit but wouldn't ever live there.

Dick Sellers

I grew up outside Allentown, PA, which was more than big enough for me.  Now I live about 3 hours from the 2 biggest in MT (Billings and Great Falls), and make as few trips into either as possible.  If someone put a knife to my throat and forced me to name one, I guess I'd pick Seattle.  Nice to have mountains and sea coast close by.  The Fisherman's Warf is kind of cool.  And it's not too hard to escape into more pristine countryside.  

Fishnfowler

Spokane or Boise.  Idaho Falls and Pocatello also, (if they are big enough to count).  I've got lots of reasons, but traffic, hunting, public land, and weather are among the top.  If I wanted culture or to see the sights, I would just visit a large metropolitan area.  I will never live in one. 

I just re-thought the answer.  Initially, I was primarily thinking of living in a city.  My favorite big city is Seattle and it is 80 miles West of me.  I wouldn't live there, but it has a lot going for it.  I'm very fond of Vancouver BC also. 

ccavacini

Charleston.  Beautiful city.  I was amazed at both the Revolutionary and Civil War history

Bullwinkle

New York when the Yankees are playing.

max2

I must say probably all the major city can be a nice place to visit and enjoy some down time. Though I don't often consider going to any at this stage of my life.  As a kid growing up in NJ we would head to the city (NY) quite often.  Central park, Shea stadium, Yankee stadium .  I can remember about 1978 we went to a Yankee  game and got the brilliant idea to drive through the south bronx to get there. :D An abandoned section of NY that it seemed like time had forgotten about.  No people were about but just empty buildings for blocks.  Night time so there were no lights. Of course the car a 1975  ford LTD loaded - 3 in the front seat and 3 in the back. Laughing and turning off the headlights  and threatening to throw different folks out and leave them. :D Being kids I guess. 

I say NYC the big apple ! 

Lars

Haven't found it yet. 

Dave in Maine

Portland Maine comes in at a skosh over 70,000.  Not a "big city".  

NYC has its charms, though it's not nearly as entertaining since Giuliani Disney-fied it and Bloomberg finished it off.  Knowledgeable Noo Yawkers will agree that it's a Dead Man Walking, that running the real estate prices through the roof and the working class out of town have killed NYC.  Just that the City doesn't know it yet.  You can walk through Times Square on a Thursday evening at 9 and have the sidewalk to yourself. It's a gated community for rich people and a few of their servants.

Cities I like?  Philly is nice though still suffers from an inferiority complex.  Boston's ok.  A bit arrogant and quickly pricing itself out of being anything other than NYC North.  Munich was great last I was there, Stuttgart, too.  Vienna would be great but for it being full of Viennese.

Newark, NJ?  I lived there, going to law school, during the height of the crack wars and AIDS scares of the late 80s.  After that, ain't nothin' botherin' me.