REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
blanked

What’s your favorite big city

Lars
4 minutes ago, max2 said:

I must say probably all the major city can be a nice place to visit and enjoy some down time. Though I don't often consider going to any at this stage of my life.  As a kid growing up in NJ we would head to the city (NY) quite often.  Central park, Shea stadium, Yankee stadium .  I can remember about 1978 we went to a Yankee  game and got the brilliant idea to drive through the south bronx to get there. :D An abandoned section of NY that it seemed like time had forgotten about.  No people were about but just empty buildings for blocks.  Night time so there were no lights. Of course the car a 1975  ford LTD loaded - 3 in the front seat and 3 in the back. Laughing and turning off the headlights  and threatening to throw different folks out and leave them. :D Being kids I guess. 

I say NYC the big apple ! 

Ha!  I grew up in Newark/Elizabeth.  Many trips to NYC on the buses and rails and ferrys late 60's.  Mostly my friends would drive or lead the way on the subways and buses. Once in Harlem the police grabbed us and said you don't belong here and put us back on the subway to GCS.  Did attend lots of great concerts.  Yes being kids copping out of school. 

max2
1 minute ago, Lars said:

Ha!  I grew up in Newark/Elizabeth.  Many trips to NYC on the buses and rails and ferrys late 60's.  Mostly my friends would drive or lead the way on the subways and buses. Once in Harlem the police grabbed us and said you don't belong here and put us back on the subway to GCS.  Did attend lots of great concerts.  Yes being kids copping out of school. 

You must surely remember taking the bus into the port Authority.  There were never any problems. It was fun and it was adventure. Probably about the same time period or 78 -79 about  maybe 7 -10 of us got on the staten island ferry with motorcycles :D and  everyone was revving their engines . Again being kids  I guess . The boat was reverberating. We  were always respectful  of people when the laughing stopped. 

Lars
37 minutes ago, max2 said:

staten island ferry with motorcycles :D and  everyone was revving their engines . Again being kids  I guess . The boat was reverberating. We  were always respectful  of people when the laughing stopped. 

What I most remember of the Staten Island ferry was stepping over the drunks passed out late at night. :D  And all the things floating around in the water. City lights where cool.

grouse28

Fifty years ago I was on a class trip to NYC. I did not leave anything there and have not been back since.

Seriously though I can handle Seattle or Vancouver for a day or two. The northwest is beautiful but being over run with Kaliforny exiles.

Austin is a nice eclectic city south of the river. Speaking of rivers, Pittsburgh has reinvented itself quite well.

i was at a convention in Las Vegas and will never go back to that armpit.

Steve Hunts

In my youth taking the New Haven Line to GCS. Hang out for awhile and then the D train to Brooklyn to see my friends in Bensonhurst. Hated the Port Authority and buses in general. I can ride on a train all day and much prefer them to planes.  Used to catch the City of New Orleans in Urbana, IL up to Chicago about 25 yrs ago for a high time in the big city. NY had the better pizza though.

As a kid in high school I worked PT for a cadillac dealership in Bridgeport, CT. The owners had me drive the wife down to Manhattan in the most plush Coupe de Ville I ever saw for her doctor's appointment. Then I drove around Manhattan during her appointment because parking was a problem, picked her up on time and drove back to CT. That was really something else for me at the tender age of 17. 

WyomingArt

I can handle cities for maybe 10-12 hours, maybe a bit more if the food is really, really good. Don't think I've had a bad meal in Vienna, Paris, about anyplace in Italy or a down home BBQ place in the Carolinas.

dogrunner

Traverse City. 

T-Bone

I guess I'm clouded by what "once was", but I don't see recommending Seattle. I lived there in the 80's and 90's and still recall the Smith Tower being the tallest metro building and Ivar's small salmon flag on its apex being deemed a hazard to aviation...Wow...Golly and then the Bank Of Ca. Building shot up followed by skyscraper after skyscraper. My usual old trips to Pioneer Square, Bell Town and Pike Place Market would now involve terrible traffic and a homelessness problem so bad that they live on the freeway greenbelts in highly visible camps as well as being thick downtown and present in near every neighborhood.

Sad, once a very beautiful city destroyed by greed and over development. Spokane is O.K., but CDA, Idaho is still a great little city with a nice downtown.

Don Steese
19 hours ago, Wirehair said:

Can someone explain to me what's so great about a big city?  Ah never mind....

People who have spent their entire lives living in the city would ask the same about a small town. 

kgb

West Berlin, but we'd have to go back to the 1980s.  I'd like to see it again, but not live there. For now, I agree Pgh is probably better now than it was then.  Still too many people in that area.  

The AF took me to Berlin then to Laurel Md.  That's an area between Baltimore and D.C. and it was developing at a very fast rate when I was there.  I felt bad for the locals who were watching the expansion all around them.  Worse when the Orioles went 0 for 20 to start the season.  Hawaii was different, certainly a lot of people in a small, very defined geographical area, but different--the city itself wasn't attractive to me.  Have loved Nebraska since we got here, Omaha doesn't seem too big a city and I've got cropland behind the house.  For Korea it was Seoul, the densest population I've lived in and none of it was what I'd consider great.  

That's damn few large cities, but enough for me.

20 hours ago, Wirehair said:

Can someone explain to me what's so great about a big city?  Ah never mind....

I like the quality restaurant options, assortment of shops, diversity of places to have a drink (coffee/liquor/whatever), proximity to work (I do custom carpentry), live music venues... 

My wife like being close to a world class ballet troupe, places to get food (prepared and ready to eat) and employment opportunities (not much IT work in small towns). 

It's a little bit naive to act as if living in/near an urban area has no benefits if you ask me. Even if you don't personally want to take advantage of them. 

1 hour ago, Don Steese said:

People who have spent their entire lives living in the city would ask the same about a small town. 

In many cases. 

Both have their merits, but we will all gravitate towards one or the other. 

Jakeismydog2

I saw a few people mention Charleston. I just visited there for the first time last week. It is a really cool place the History and food is unreal. So is the heat and humidity. No way I could ever live there.

I really liked Austin TX, weird mix of Republican led freedom with hippie liberal experimental-ism makes for a really unique city dynamic.

I think Kansas City is underrated as a city. Great food. Easy to get around. Great people. All 4 seasons. Affordable place to live.

MAArcher

My favorite big city is whichever one is the smallest and has the closest proximity to big woods and cool waters.  I've traveled to most big cities east of the Mississippi.   Other than a good museum, zoo or aquarium, I have no use for any of them.  That said, other than an overabundance of people and pavement, Boston's a good city.

"I've been to a town Del." - Jeremiah Johnson

max2
11 hours ago, Lars said:

What I most remember of the Staten Island ferry was stepping over the drunks passed out late at night. :D  And all the things floating around in the water. City lights where cool.

I've heard it's all cleaned up now .When we were on the bikes some of those drunks  you speak of heads were popp'n up like what the heck is all the noise about :D