REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
blanked

What’s your favorite big city

Mike Connally

I can’t say I enjoy big cities much, but I have enjoyed Halifax NS the last two visits. 

tut

San Antonio Texas is pretty sweet during the early Spring.  River walk is pretty cool.  Traffic isn't obscene in the area and the food is great. 

Bullwinkle

Barcelona if we are going international.  Spent some time there before and after a cruise next time we will skip the cruise.

10 hours ago, Jakeismydog2 said:

I really liked Austin TX, weird mix of Republican led freedom with hippie liberal experimental-ism makes for a really unique city dynamic.

Austin is super cool. And in a beautiful area. 

Just too crowded anymore! It was amazing pre Dell. I sound like a old man. 

Cooter Brown
2 hours ago, Bullwinkle said:

Barcelona if we are going international.  Spent some time there before and after a cruise next time we will skip the cruise.

If it's been more than a few years talk to somebody who's been there recently.  It's changed and not for the better.

Lars
15 hours ago, Steve Hunts said:

then the D train to Brooklyn to see my friends in Bensonhurst. 

As a kid in high school I worked PT for a cadillac dealership in Bridgeport, CT. 

Had friends in Brooklyn a block or two from the promenade great view of lower Manhattan. Was there in '76 to watch the tall ships in the harbor but there were so many people could only see the tops of the masts.

Curious would you have known any of the Denter clan in Bridgeport? Friend packed up all his belonging in the '70's and headed west in a cousin Eddie style Winnebago.  Moved to the mountains outside Denver and has been there since.  

kgb

A decade ago I had to go to NYC and decided to drive it solo.  When I got to the bridges it was toward evening and I would have loved to have taken it slowly to see the lights/boats/sights en route Great Neck.  I got up the next morning and sat in traffic longer than seemed necessary to get to where I was going, would not have liked to have tried that too many times.

Clueless1

Just returned from San Diego/LA trip for work and then wife and kids came in later.  I am ok visiting cities, but I could not deal with the crowds and traffic on a daily basis.  Fortunately for me my wife knows this and does not push me too often to head in to 'town' (which is Pgh). 

In reality all my city experiences are 'touristy' in nature.  It's tough to judge each city I've been to because I'm only visiting, for a short while, and generally only in the tourist type areas.  And I judge them to be mostly all the same, built for tourism not everyday life. 

Don Steese
4 hours ago, tut said:

San Antonio Texas is pretty sweet during the early Spring.  River walk is pretty cool.  Traffic isn't obscene in the area and the food is great. 

As always I have a story. We stayed in San Antonio back in January when we were on the way to Arizona. Planned on spending one night but it turned into two because of massive ice storm. The campground was right across the street from a bus stop so the wife and I took a bus into the Riverwalk area. Everything was closed down because of the ice storm ( which had abated 18 hours before). Only restaurant we found open was a Hard Rock Cafe (not a place we'd have otherwise chosen). Winter weather apparently shuts down San Antonio??

C.J.L.
16 hours ago, dogrunner said:

Traverse City. 

Nobody should pay attention to dogrunner.

Virgil Kane
15 minutes ago, C.J.L. said:

Nobody should pay attention to dogrunner.

I was in Traverse City some 55 years ago.  Seemed nice then but I'm sure it's changes since.

Virgil 

henryrski

Does Skiddy Kansas count?

tut
1 hour ago, Don Steese said:

As always I have a story. We stayed in San Antonio back in January when we were on the way to Arizona. Planned on spending one night but it turned into two because of massive ice storm. The campground was right across the street from a bus stop so the wife and I took a bus into the Riverwalk area. Everything was closed down because of the ice storm ( which had abated 18 hours before). Only restaurant we found open was a Hard Rock Cafe (not a place we'd have otherwise chosen). Winter weather apparently shuts down San Antonio??

I was stationed there in the 1990's and they had an ice storm then as well.  Everything shut down for 2 days.  They have no salt and no ability to plow snow either.  PS.  They can handle rain, but are subject to flash floods big time.  No top soil and hence a lot of rocks.

Curt

I think you're either a city guy or a country guy.  I've been a country guy my entire life but when I was working I had to fly into cities on business several times a year.  Because of that I got to spend some time in NYC, Chicago, Atlanta, Orlando and others.  They all were interesting to a country bumpkin but I could never live in one of them.  My oldest boy went to optometry school for four years in Memphis so I got to know that city fairly well while visiting him numerous times.  I guess I can't say I really liked any of them, although I admit they were dazzling to a guy that grew up in a town with a population of less than 1000 people.

HAMMER DOG

Like most not a big city guy and the only one we've visited the last ten years really is Vegas, I get everything I want there, great dining, entertainment, gambling, high quality alcohol and the best people watching in the world xD Plus if you want to it is a short jaunt to primitive territory in the mountains or red rocks area away from the crowds and civilization.