REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
blanked

What’s your favorite big city

Brad Eden

I've also been to Vegas several times. A few times to outdoor trade shows for a design client and tagged along with JoAnn at a respiratory therapy conference a couple years back. It's a hoot if you take it for what it is. And as Hammerdog mentioned it's just a short jaunt to some beautiful areas outside the city and not far from the beautiful southwest; AZ, NM, UT etc.

Ray Gubernat

I grew up and lived most of my life in the 'burbs of central Jersey. 

Went to college in Jersey City and worked there some.  Have no desire to ever go back.  My mom had relatives in Newark, NJ area.  Bellville.  Never liked the area and downtown Newark became a total pesthole after the riots.  I understand it still is, for the most part.  The only place in Newark that is worth visiting is the Ironbound section.  Some of the most awesome Spanish and Portugese restaurants on the face of the earth are down there and it is a relatively safe place to be...once you are there.  Getting to and back...not so much.

Lived 35 minutes from downtown NYC for many years. Aside from a couple museum trips and several stage shows, when the prices of an orchestra seat were not obscene, I rarely went into the city because everything else I needed was available much closer to home.  I drove by the Statue of Liberty literally hundreds of times but did not go there until my son was about 8 and then we climbed it together.  Never went back.  I suppose if my grandchildren wanted to go to the Statue of Liberty I would go...one more time.  I did go to Chinatown  every so often because I truly enjoyed the authentic Chinese dishes.  Little Italy...not so much because I got better Italian at home.  Almost never went  to Philly.

Moved to central DE about 15 years ago.   If I want good ethnic ingredients... breads, meats, etc.,   I go to Philly., because they just do not have the real stuff nearby me, especially good Italian or Polish ingredients.   If I want a really nice restaurant that isn't seafood... I would just as soon go to Philly(it is about an hour away) as to go to someplace in Wilmington, DE,  or Annapolis, MD, which is almost as far, for fare that is not quite as good.   Their Chinatown ain't NYC...but it ain't bad.

I like having a city close enough to go there when I want...but far enough away so I don't have to deal with all the BS things that go with that many people jammed into the same space.

RayG

Edited by Ray Gubernat

C.J.L.
1 hour ago, Virgil Kane said:

I was in Traverse City some 55 years ago.  Seemed nice then but I'm sure it's changes since.

Virgil 

What were you doing in TC 55 years ago Mr Kane?  And what was the car you were driving? (I like cars from the 60's). Yes TC has changed a fair amount over the years.  I think the most underrated changes though are the people and pilars in the community .  Everyone knew them, the Hanna's, Sledders, Bagley's, Noverr's, Schumckels. It's gone .  

2 hours ago, Don Steese said:

As always I have a story. We stayed in San Antonio back in January when we were on the way to Arizona. Planned on spending one night but it turned into two because of massive ice storm. The campground was right across the street from a bus stop so the wife and I took a bus into the Riverwalk area. Everything was closed down because of the ice storm ( which had abated 18 hours before). Only restaurant we found open was a Hard Rock Cafe (not a place we'd have otherwise chosen). Winter weather apparently shuts down San Antonio??

I grew up in a part of Texas with a very similar temperature profile.

Freezing temperatures were a big deal! Ice and snow were virtually non existant.

Virgil Kane
1 hour ago, C.J.L. said:

What were you doing in TC 55 years ago Mr Kane?  And what was the car you were driving? (I like cars from the 60's). Yes TC has changed a fair amount over the years.  I think the most underrated changes though are the people and pilars in the community .  Everyone knew them, the Hanna's, Sledders, Bagley's, Noverr's, Schumckels. It's gone .  

1963 Pontiac LeMans convertible and my Dad was driving doing a family  trip around Lake Michigan and a stop at Traverse City and Mackinaw Island. I was to young to drive although that wouldn't have stopped me if I were asked at the time. LOL

Big Al

I live half the year in the Sarasota-Bradenton area in Florida.  Population about 700,000.  It's a beautiful place on the gulf coast and the winters are great.  The other half is in sparsely populated central Montana.  I'll take Montana.  Thank you very much.

dogrunner
5 hours ago, C.J.L. said:

Nobody should pay attention to dogrunner.

Grandparents had a place by Torch lake so I spent a good amount of time up there in the 70s-80s. 

quailguy
19 hours ago, NECarson said:

It's a little bit naive to act as if living in/near an urban area has no benefits if you ask me. Even if you don't personally want to take advantage of them. 

It is pretty evident as one ages that access to high quality doctors and hospitals is a key, even life saving, requirement. Have an accident out in rural west Texas and you could very well be dead by the time the ambulance or chopper gets there.

The last ranch in Texas I quail hunted was 10-12 miles off a hard road and then 60 miles or so to a hospital. Although a decent chopper jockey could have landed the bird on the highway near the ranch gate;  power lines were on one side of the road only.

quailguy
6 hours ago, Don Steese said:

As always I have a story. We stayed in San Antonio back in January when we were on the way to Arizona. Planned on spending one night but it turned into two because of massive ice storm. The campground was right across the street from a bus stop so the wife and I took a bus into the Riverwalk area. Everything was closed down because of the ice storm ( which had abated 18 hours before). Only restaurant we found open was a Hard Rock Cafe (not a place we'd have otherwise chosen). Winter weather apparently shuts down San Antonio??

Back several years ago there was a tiny bit of snow and about 1/4 of ice in San Antonio. We simply stayed home out west until it all melted in a 2 days. BUT, the cops had to shut down all the freeways; almost all of them have some elevated portions and they were all frozen over. The city has no road ice clearing machinery and most drivers have no idea how to drive in/on snow or ice. 

That time there were something like 435 accidents on the freeways in one hour. Its all pedal and no brakes.

MUSTANGER7

Colorado Springs when I was stationed there in late 70's wonderful town, to crowded now.

steveziv

I'm not especially well traveled but I do love Charleston, SC and would like to live in the area one day.  My hometown of Cleveland, OH is under-rated.  NYC is pretty cool, but for me more like an amusement park than a place to live.

Steve Hunts
11 hours ago, Lars said:

Had friends in Brooklyn a block or two from the promenade great view of lower Manhattan. Was there in '76 to watch the tall ships in the harbor but there were so many people could only see the tops of the masts.

Curious would you have known any of the Denter clan in Bridgeport? Friend packed up all his belonging in the '70's and headed west in a cousin Eddie style Winnebago.  Moved to the mountains outside Denver and has been there since.  

Larry,

Did not know the Denter family. I miss the area sometimes. Grew up fishing for stripers in the sound.

I lived in Fort Collins/Denver from '84-87'. Lot's of good times in that area back then. Went to CSU hoping to get my master's degree but the skiing, girls, and good times put an end to that.

How are you liking Boise?

4 hours ago, quailguy said:

It is pretty evident as one ages that access to high quality doctors and hospitals is a key, even life saving, requirement. Have an accident out in rural west Texas and you could very well be dead by the time the ambulance or chopper gets there.

The last ranch in Texas I quail hunted was 10-12 miles off a hard road and then 60 miles or so to a hospital. Although a decent chopper jockey could have landed the bird on the highway near the ranch gate;  power lines were on one side of the road only.

I'm a few years from that being a significant concern. 

But being 35 doesn't exempt me from it either! Great point. 

Lars
50 minutes ago, Steve Hunts said:

I lived in Fort Collins/Denver from '84-87'. Lot's of good times in that area back then. Went to CSU hoping to get my master's degree but the skiing, girls, and good times put an end to that.

How are you liking Boise?

Rarely get into Boise I'm about 20 miles west.  I did work PT at the Boise airport for a few years.  This area is really building. Lots of people moving here. 

Yes those were great years to be in Colorado and the Denver area.  Great happy hours at the restaurants in Denver, skiing in the mountain towns,  concerts at Red Rocks and McNichols, Little Bear in Evergreen, Heritage Square Opera House, Pheasant hunting in eastern Colorado and yes those wonderful girls. :)  If I could go back in time.....

Kemo Sabe
On 6/30/2018 at 6:45 PM, MTRookie76 said:

Boston and San Diego are at the top of my list.

Mine too, as are Spokane and San Francisco. I enjoy going to a big city once in awhile.