REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Dave Erickson

Aluminum topper a mistake?

Cold Iron
3 hours ago, fourtrax57 said:

I think the front slider is a good option as ColdIron says. That shade thingy on the bump up on the roof of my ARE to me is silly.

At least it can't leak as it's only a fake shade and not a window or skylight. One note. If you ever may consider a deck storage system ( gun vault etc)

you may want to consider the extra height in a topper. When I ordered mine the guy taking the order asked about the 6" bump up and I shrugged and said "why not."

I managed to "flounder" my way thru that lucky call. W/o the bump up on mine due to the added height of the bed with the drawer storage system I would have had to loosen the topper on it's mounts to take dog crates in & out to raise it up for adequate clearance for the crates. (nothing wrong with being lucky).

I knew that I wanted the extra height from sleeping in the back of trucks over the years. Steve I was disappointed that the "skylight" really wasn't and asked why. He said over the years they found because of the slant angle eventually they started to leak no matter how they did it. OK I can live with it then LOL.

2 hours ago, Dave Erickson said:

I went with the flat one. I'll just make a low pedestal, so there is enough room to slide shotguns under there while hunting and perhaps the dogs' water bowl and a few small things. 

The dealer wouldn't let me pass on the slider drop-down feature. Now I'm glad he didn't!  I also got the carpeted ceiling after his strong recommendation. I skipped the lighting, but he said he could add it later if I want it. I typically live with a headband light on my noggin around the truck in the dark, but I might have to rethink it. 

Carpeting is huge if you sleep in the back in cooler weather. Or have dogs. It helps prevent moisture from the breathing from collecting and dropping water all over the place on everything you want to keep dry.

I paid a fair amount for the lighting from ARE and the switch broke fairly quickly. And the lights weren't that great even though they are LED's. Cut the switch out and put in an old fashioned heavy duty toggle switch. Then spent $16 for this LED strip light from Amazon. Stuck some industrial strength Velcro on the back of the light pucks and they stick great to the carpet on the ceiling. Will damn near blind you they are so bright. And still are, and they still work.

Fur and Feathers
12 hours ago, Dave Erickson said:

I ordered an ARE V series with the Sportsman's windows today. I'm scratching the take it off in the summer idea. That's just too much fiddling around. ARE is 8 weeks out, so just in time for hunting season. I'm pretty sure my dogs will approve!

I ordered my v series on the 20th. Hopefully I'll have it in early September.

Chukarman

A caution on the front slider...

I had a Glasstite on my old F250 and ordered the front with an adaptor for access through the cab slider. I had sliders for the rear cab window also. I mounted the cap with the foam sealing gasket against the rear cab wall to seal the openng. In a year or so the foam gasket had worn the paint off the rear of the cab in the seal area. Right down to the metal. I didn't care for that much.

oak stob

fwiw, Leer had the option of a removable forward window in their topper.....has worked well and exists, for me, simply to enable cleaning the glass surfaces. Can’t see the advantage of foam gaskets, just me.

That said, I replaced the Leer door latch, connecting parts and struts after about two years...in my A.R.E. the latch was replaced once in nearly 12 years.

Mean anything?....dunno however, even with the better heavy duty window screening and light in the Leer...A.R.E. will get a first and longer look when next I purchase....or sumpthin’ else will....or, not.

Cold Iron
1 hour ago, Chukarman said:

A caution on the front slider...

I had a Glasstite on my old F250 and ordered the front with an adaptor for access through the cab slider. I had sliders for the rear cab window also. I mounted the cap with the foam sealing gasket against the rear cab wall to seal the openng. In a year or so the foam gasket had worn the paint off the rear of the cab in the seal area. Right down to the metal. I didn't care for that much.

Yep. Foam, rubber, inflatable doesn't matter. They ALL wear the paint off the truck. At least every one of them I have had or seen.

Dave Erickson

I had a Jason brand topper on my first little Nissan Pickup. It did the job and was in keeping with a truck that cost 8500 brand new in 1993. My next was a Leer on my '05 Frontier. It worked, but no better than the Jason, and it had a large overhang which seemed ill fitted. I got 12 years out of both of those trucks and toppers. 

Randy S

I picked up a used Glasstite off the curb for free a few years ago. I brushed on a coat of plastol paint and it's served me for I think 6 years now. The note about dealers wanting to get rid of used toppers is spot on. Most used auto auction houses have piles of used toppers to choose from for next to nothing. 

blanked

I never understood putting a cheap topper on a $40,000 truck

Fur and Feathers

I looked for months to find a used bargain. I'm not that lucky. I couldn't and wouldn't have found exactly what I wanted anyhow. I would have regretted it if I settled. I bit the bullet and ordered one to my specifications.

Dave Erickson
51 minutes ago, Fur and Feathers said:

I looked for months to find a used bargain. I'm not that lucky. I couldn't and wouldn't have found exactly what I wanted anyhow. I would have regretted it if I settled. I bit the bullet and ordered one to my specifications.

The only bargain I looked at was the new aluminum Unicover. I'm glad I went the route I did. I have a 2017 Tacoma and it deserves a nice topper.

Chukarman

I have TWO ARE toppers - one with the lift up side windows and the one that converted to a dog topper. The one with the lift up windows - well, the rear lift gate edging (on the camper shell) sarted to separate - the rivets were pulling out. I did a temporary fix with short sheet metal screws to hold it together, but I think it is done. I need to get another one.

WhatsDaPoint

I went with an all steel topper. It’s not light or cheap, but I love it so far. Used by several DNR departments out west. 

Gotta go to Reno to pick it up though. 

http://www.caravancamper.com/

PaFlyfisher

When I had a tacoma I for a while had an aluminum topper. I think I got it for $50 and would put it on over the fall and winter to transport the dog in a crate (covered and full of straw during winter). It looked awful, which is the drawback vs even low-end fiberglass, but was very easy to take on and off without help.

erik meade
On 7/26/2018 at 6:48 PM, blanked said:

I never understood putting a cheap topper on a $40,000 truck

I never understood a $40,000 truck. 

Dave Erickson

Case closed!

03D4CE3C-0601-4479-8028-8A2BB9532151.jpeg

191A615F-9535-456F-B9DB-62D42917B06A.jpeg