REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Dave Erickson

Aluminum topper a mistake?

mccuha

I wish my topper had side windows that opened up.  But for $50 I can’t complain. It’s hard around here to find any kind of used topper for a crew cab short bed. 

Dave Erickson

Nope, for $50 you did well!

The side access doors w/sliders sold me. So nice to be able to keep everything covered yet have access to all of it. I went with a front slider and between it and the side sliders the dogs will have decent airflow. I'm relieved to just be back to a topper period. On extended trips back of my truck was starting to look like Jed Clampett's.

bill

that's a nice topper right kind dogs and good building skills too

mccuha

I bought my topper to use just for trips   Being fiberglass it’s not a one man top   That still wasn’t going to deter me. Any way you like it so much I haven’t taken it off since I bought it. Going on 5yrs.  At times I do miss an open bed but I make it work

Dave Erickson

Minor tweak!

C2E1D03B-2F29-4DF7-B03F-F9747C042F01.jpeg

47257990-52AC-429B-A53B-43C49497A5BE.jpeg

F57097C2-87CA-4AF8-9798-160B5C6D5D5B.jpeg

oak stob

Those rubber mats for Tacomas are only slightly less valuable than shoelaces in a pair of work boots.

My topper-fill is somewhat the same, somewhat different, boxes and platform, and I use plastic tubs meant for under bed storage slid below the platform.

Nice, your pups and fiddly stuff will thank you.

Cold Iron

Nice Dave! Even have the same 2.5 gal. water container as I do but mine is blue B|

I like how the rubber bed mat saved my knees so much I got a solid metal replacement for the tailgate ribbed plate and put rubber over that. Makes it easier for the dog to get in and out, and easier to stand for grooming and body checks after hunting. When he can stand.

22582936225_b1cbaa2f8b_b.jpg

Because I have the MX topper I have a bit more space and a taller platform. I move the containers out from under it and can sleep with my legs under it. Made the shelf the same length as my inseam for a reason.

22167127992_29241fb559_b.jpg

But honestly since turning 60 I really don't look forward to sleeping in the back of the Taco. At all. You done good IMO. 

Dave Erickson

Yaa, no plans to sleep in mine. Wife and I quit camping about 10 years ago when it started getting to be more of a pain than fun! 

I ended up with a nice space in between the crates and the cab for boots, birds, bags, whatever. Enough room behind the crates for a cooler on long trips. I wanted a handy space under the crates for the water bowl and a place to slide guns during the hunting day. My topper-less experiment is over and damned glad to have one again!

Fur and Feathers

Finally got mine put on today. Now to set up the inside.

20180913_144426.jpg