REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
blanked

Are you loyal to a car manufacture

dogrunner

Yes. 

5AC0F041-86C1-4551-837A-254CD70A7439.jpeg

Canuck

Four 4-Runners and a Tundra in the past 35 years in our family. Never been let down by any of them!!

River19

Nope.  That being said I try to buy the best vehicle that fits the bill for exactly what I need.  More often than not that has been a Toyota product.  Currently have a Tundra, Lexus GX and Ram 2500......

Longevity of the primary and secondary components on the Toyotas seem to age much better than others in my opinion.....one caveat would be the whole Toyota truck frame thing....but on the other hand they gave me a new frame and stood by a vehicle with at the time over 150K miles on it....meanwhile my same aged Ford F250 had more overall rust and probably was heading to a frame failure as well but Ford never would do anything.

Chukarman

I have had a couple of Ford trucks and like them. I have had five Toyota LandCruisers and like them. I've owned lots of cars and like Ford and Toyota best.

stripersonfly
21 hours ago, BlacknTan said:

Three and a half years ago I bought a Toyota 4Runner.. my first Toyota. The quality is so superior to the big three, that I never see myself going back...

I am with BlacknTan, but I would also include Honda's in this category as well as WI Outdoor Nut.  The ones that I have owned have all gone for years with nothing more serious than oil, brakes and tire replacements.  They are just well build and designed to last.  The American cars I have owned (Buick, Ford, Chevy & Jeep) have not come close.   Currently I am driving a Highlander with 140K on it, and (knock on wood!) it is still going strong. 

Greg Hartman

Interesting question.  Being a bit a car nut, I've owned many different vehicles from many different manufacturers over the years - from Porsche to beat-up Jeeps.  In truth, most of them did pretty well, if you take into account the price and condition involved.  Can't say I have any particular brand loyalty or lack thereof.

Looking back, I'd say that I had two real crappers - both bought brand new.

One was a Mercury Monarch (a Ford Grenada in disguise) that I bought new in 1975 - a V8.  One of my clients was a Mercury dealer and I had to buy a car from him.  What junk!  When I turned the A/C on, the radio would come on screeching static at full blast (you couldn't turn it off) and the thing would squirt icy water on your feet.  By the time I got to work, my shoes and feet were soaked.  The paint peeled off in sheets in the first year.  The V8 was apparently comprised of two small squirrels.  Awful.

Image result for 1975 mercury monarch

The other one was a Jeep Grand Cherokee - also a V8 bought new in 1996 because my old, square 1982 Jeep Cherokee ( great car) finally died.  The running gear actually worked OK on this one and I did a lot of towing with it, but everything else fell off.  The insides of the doors literally fell off into the street.  Door handles fell off.  It had power everything and none of it worked - you had to claw the windows up and down.  Again, the paint came off in sheets in the first year.   Image result for 1996 jeep grand cherokee

Standout vehicles:

For fun, I'd have to say a couple of Porsche Boxster "S" cars and the three Miatas I've owned - 1st, 2nd and 3rd gen - all extensively hot rodded.  I still have a modified 3rd gen Miata as my fun, open two-seater and it still puts a grin on my face each time I drive it.  Top quality; dead-stone reliable; not expensive or flashy like a Porsche (I HATED that about all the various Porsches I've owned over the years - they seem to scream "Hey, look at me!"); and the world is awash with after-market parts.  Also, it's fun to drive without needing to run at triple-digit speeds - a good old man's car.

5-8-14 - Keep Right - 3

For business and practical, everyday transportation, I'd say the Honda Accord V6 Coupes I've owned (all with suspension and brake mods) hit the sweet spot.  They are stealth cars in that no one notices them; and you aren't going to win are serious races, but they are surprisingly quick and nimble (with the suspension and brake mods) in real world use, very fuel efficient for the power produced, comfortable, quiet, reliable, safe and relatively inexpensive and invisible as compared to upscale coupes, like BMW and Audi.  Like a 28 gauge or a 7x57mm, it has all you need and nothing you don't.  I have no desire to replace my current Honda coupe.

10-15-11 - Honda coupe in the fall

As a shooting brake, bad weather vehicle, hunting car, hauler, etc my all time favorite was an '04 Toyota Tundra crew cab.  This was the 7/8 size version, if you remember - not the enormous Tundra's that are now being made.  It had plenty of power to haul, tow, plow, etc with the V8, but still got decent mileage.  It was quiet and as comfortable as a nice car, safe and reliable.  Sadly, I had to get rid of it when my wife had her stroke because I couldn't get her in and out from and to her wheelchair with the tall, rather narrow doors.  But for that, I'd probably still have it. 

10 - 9 - 08 - Fall on the lane - 1

My all-purpose truck these days is an ancient Jeep Liberty, whose only virtues are its cheapness (which you get sharply reminded of each time you drive it) and the fact that I don't care if it gets yet another dent, scratch or dog barf.  To be honest, it has been reliable and doesn't owe me anything, especially considering the hard service it performs.

12-19-17 - Grouse cover in the home mountains

E.Young

I've owned six Toyotas and plan to own plenty more. All have made it to 150k with no trouble and no surprises, just oil tires, filters, brakes.

Currently, I have a 2012 Prius that just turned 150k and it burns a little oil - apparently a known and un-fixed issue, and a Tacoma at 160k that runs perfectly. 

Recently, I had a 2005 Prius that was just hitting her stride at 212k when it was totaled in an accident and a 4Runner that was just under 300k when I sold it still running like a top. 

I bought a used Carolla with 140k on it and drove it to 170k when the transmission started going - it had had a hard life and my wife didn't make it easier. I sold it for $1000 less than I bought it for. 

My next truck will probably be a Tundra and my next car will probably be another Prius or a Hybrid Camry. I have never loved the way Toyotas look or feel, aside from the 4Runners, but I've had huge problems with everything I've owned that wasn't Toyota (Acura, BMW, Audi, Jeep, Ford, Mazda) so it is all about dependability and low cost of ownership for me. 

tut

Mostly Toyota.  Did have Chevy and at 110K I was stopped at a red light and the transmission went out.  Had one Mercury Sable SW and it was a great car.  Kept it up to 1ly10K and then gave it to my wifes nephew who was in a bad bad way financially and he had 3 kids and needed the extra space.  Have had two Nissan (Pathfinder and Sentra) and the Pathfinder went over 200K and the Sentra is currently at 140K.  Had zero issues with either of them.   My daughter has a RAV and its 11 years old with 155K on it and other then burning a bit of oil its been fantastic.  2 4 Runners and they have been great SUV's other then the fact the 2010 was not built nearly as tight at the 1997 4Runner.  The 2010 currently has 120K on it and its a nice vehicle with O issues.

Worst car ever owned was a Jeep Grand Cherokee and it was a piece of crap.  Everything rattled.  Engine was so rough at idle that it made the entire thing rattle.  We ended up putting rubber faucet washers virtually all over the inside at virtually every little gap so they wouldn't rattle.   We called them ARD's, short for Anti Rattle Device.  We kept extra ones in the glove compartment so they were very handy.   Also 2 Scions with zero issues.  

I needed a Truck it would be a Ford 150 or I might look at a Taco.   

Jakeismydog2

I am super loyal to not buying Dodges.

I worry that if my GMC parks next to one it might catch rust!

Flush

I'm not overly loyal to one single brand but there are some I like more than others. 

In general I've had very good luck with Toyota/Lexus. Fords have been pretty good to me, and I've also had pretty good luck with GM trucks.

I think I would give Ford a slight edge over GM, but it's not much and probably comes down to the individual vehicle more so than any real difference between the brands.

I have a Ford truck and Suburban right now, both over 10 yrs old with high miles and both have been good vehicles.

I would consider owning certain Chrysler models, like a Cummins powered Ram, but in general Chrysler stuff makes me nervous given the issues I and friends have had.

I've had other Japanese brands and they are all pretty good, although I do think Toyota and Honda are at the top in terms of reliability.

I used to try to buy used Toyotas almost exclusively, but their prices skyrocketed out west especially for the trucks and 4runners which is what I wanted. So while I do think the Toyotas were "better" in terms of reliability it got to the point I couldn't justify the premium cost the used Toyotas pulled, so I starting trying other makes. The domestic brands have gotten MUCH better than they were in 70s-80s and really narrowed the reliability gap with the japanese. 

I wouldn't identify myself as a Dodge guy. 

But most of my driving years have been spent in a white Dodge 3/4 ton 4x4...

Hub

When I find something that works for me, I stick with it.  When I got out of school I bought and F-150 because my buddies dad was a fleet dealer and cut me a nice deal.  I put 190,000 miles on it and never needed a single repair.  Gas, new breaks, and one change of spark plugs was it.  A lot of my buddies had bought Chevy's at the same time and I got an earful of the issues they were having.  I ended up selling the original for $4,000 because it was going to need it's first new clutch and I bought another F150.  I put 180,000 miles  on that one and it required one $400 repair when the rear differential started chirping around corners in 10 years.   I never even replace the plugs on that one.  Last winter I just bought another F150.  I love driving it so much I look forward to driving to work....that is saying something.  So I have 20 years and around 400,000 miles into driving F-150's and I've never had a transmission go, never any major engine work....nothing.  I have had some minor rust issues, but when you spend as much time as possible blasting down gravel roads that is par for the course.  My issues with rust were in the bumpers, which they have been smart enough tuck into the body, and where the cab meets the bed which is now covered in plastic which gives me hope.  A couple of my buddies have started driving full size Toyota's and they are nice ride and seem trouble free as well, but they are paying a premium for it.  

Bluegill68

I’m with Mr.Hartman on this one, best truck I ever owned. I put 170k of the 228k on it not a problem. 

9F31A929-AD89-40F0-A6EE-85C64E424B17.jpeg

aje4

I am partial to any Japanese made vehicle.  They are reliable and well made.  I like Tundras and Titans but I have a Ford F-350 that has been good to me.  I use to tow a large RV for years so I needed it.  I will eventually get a Tundra in a few years.....my daily car is a Subaru Legacy....wife drives a Infinity and we have a Nissan convertible as a toy...

Auto-5

Not really. None of them ever seemed to be too loyal to me when it came time to trade. It’s always our vehicles have the  highest resale value blah blah blah. Ok so how much trade can I get on my car truck etc. Oh well umm errr  if only it was another color,  but in this color I’ll have to low ball you.