REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
blanked

Are you loyal to a car manufacture

WMassGriff

My father (WWII Vet) is rolling in his grave but I am now running two Japanese SUV's a CRV (wife) and 4Runner (me). Best car we ever owned was a Ford 500 AWD. What a tank in the snow! Most fun vehicle I owned was a CJ5.

Brent

I'm not loyal to a brand, but I am loyal to the Nissan Xterra.  I'm on my second one (my daughter now has my original, which I drove for eight years) and hope to drive it for a long, long time.  Since they're gone as of 2015, I suspect my next vehicle will be a Tacoma TRD so I can stick with a manual and match my Pro-4X Xterra's off-road capability.  

Like all of us I'm curious to see what Ford comes up with on the new Bronco.

But then again I always buy used vehicles coming off a lease, so I'll be retired before the new Bronco is on my radar.  

After an excellent run with Subarus my wife now drives an AWD Toyota Sienna van and it has been an incredible family adventure machine.  

4Xq5

Edited by Brent
Trying to add a photo

Kemo Sabe

Greg mentioned:

For fun, I'd have to say a couple of Porsche Boxster "S" cars and the three Miatas I've owned - 1st, 2nd and 3rd gen - all extensively hot rodded.  I still have a modified 3rd gen Miata as my fun, open two-seater and it still puts a grin on my face each time I drive it.  Top quality; dead-stone reliable; not expensive or flashy like a Porsche (I HATED that about all the various Porsches I've owned over the years - they seem to scream "Hey, look at me!"); and the world is awash with after-market parts.

I have always wanted a Porcshe since I was in dental school. After getting out, many of my classmates bought one. But I jumped into buying a practice, a house, and an office building all within  my first two years. And then we started a major building project a few years later, followed by 4 kids and the reality of having them within 6 years and the college expenses to follow. So, I started a college account for each one of them, plus bought 8 cars (2 each) between high school, college, and grad schools. 

I had some nice cars besides the Tahoes, Suburbans, and Z71 Pick ups that included  BMWs (528, 540i, 640i,  and a X5), a couple of different Mercedes,  and a Nisson 300 ZX (my favorite) which we drove for an average of 8 or 9 years apiece. But this year, after paying for a combined 29 years of kids college education and them having no debt, I decided it was time for me to get that Porsche. So I did, and man is that Boxster 718 S  a ton of fun -- and I don't drive it fast at all. 

It does have a little of that "Hey, look at me" that you mentioned, but it's hardly the top dog around here, with so many other people owning much more expensive sports cars.  That '91 300 ZX was a lot of fun, but this car has them all beat for pure driving enjoyment. 

jeff88

A bit surprised by this, thought I'd see a lot more mentions of Subaru.  Subaru as the highest buyer loyalty of any make in the US.  It also leads the industry in inventory turns.  That means a new Subaru sits on a car lot for less time than any other make.  Would have guessed a quarter of the UJ would have listed these rides since as so many of us actually use AWD.

Kemo Sabe, the least expensive ride I've owned was an '84 Porsche 944s.  It was 2 years old when I bought and sold it 3 years later for almost exactly what I paid for it.  When I tallied all related expenses such as 4 new tires, all maintenance and insurance, I ran that car for less than $100 a month.  It was a fantastic car in it's time as far as road handling and fun to drive - 1st production car with true 50/50 weight balance like the Boxster.  Ours was Guards Red with tan interior.  Bought it for my wife, she loved it.  Funny story, I used it a few times in Greene County PA leaving it parked in a gravel area along a rural two lane.  When my brother and I came out of the Game Land around lunch time there was a warden in his truck waiting.  As we walked up he got out and approached us.  He said he had to meet who was hunting using a sports car.  He checked our license and game bags and spent some more time talking.  Not too many Porches parked in that part of the world.  My brother tells the story and it gets funnier each time I hear his latest additions to it.  

Coalman

Ford

First car was a 1972 Mustang Convertible 302

1979 Mustang King Cobra 302

1984 Ford Ranger 4X4 four cylinder

1989 F150 4X4 302

2001 F150 4x4 4.8 liter

Current ride 2011 F150 4X4 302

Greg Hartman
On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 11:00 AM, Kemo Sabe said:

man is that Boxster 718 S  a ton of fun -- and I don't drive it fast at all. 

It does have a little of that "Hey, look at me" that you mentioned, but it's hardly the top dog around here, with so many other people owning much more expensive sports cars.   

Yeah, Boxsters are great cars and great fun!  Perhaps the best sports car ever made - MUCH better with the mid-engine than 911, 944, etc.  Unfortunately, I would tend to get a little crazy in such cars (couldn't resist the temptation) and, as I aged, I was no longer safe driving them at the speeds needed to really have some fun due to their very high limits - rather like my crotch rocket motorcycles - so I moved to modified Miatas.  This was my last Boxster "S" by a PA Dutch covered bridge and with Maggie driving (she tended to stop at every hamburger joint):

B-Day Drive - 8-16-04 - 2.jpg

Maggie Driving Porsche - 1.jpg

Unlike where you live, nice cars are VERY rare around here indeed; and draw all sorts of very problematic unwanted attention.  I loved the cars, but HATED  the visibility.  

Enjoy your 718.  If I wouldn't quickly kill myself in one of those I might have one.  I guess I'm irresponsible when it comes to fast two-seaters, Gary.  🤪

Jack L

I've bought from the same Chevy dealer for 30 years. Then Chevy quit making a 4wd midsize SUV and I switched to a Toyota 4 Runner.  I'm very pleased so far.

River19

Ah yes, Porsche, there is no substitute, so they say.  Ironic to me is the fact that my father is pretty much a dork......I'm talking black dress socks, white Nikes and shorts kinda dork.....and he is very far from a flashy guy, his one affliction is cars.  Up north in MA he has a 2006 911 C4S which is a pretty sweet ride.  Down in FL he has a 2013 Corvette Grand Sport done over a bit by Callaway.  Believe it or not if he had to choose one it would be the vette.  His generation was enamored with the Corvette, my generation remembers the late 70s through....well crap....the next 20 years or so.

For me I'm a truck and SUV guy as I like the utility and capability.  If I were going for something fast it would be a Shelby Cobra or nothing.....

Kemo Sabe

Greg,

It seems we have very similar tastes in our Boxster choice:

8DEB7194-BE57-4562-B66B-FCD076135969.jpeg

Brent

The beautiful photos of German cars here reminded me of a great photo I took on the opening day of duck season last year.   🙂

49oU

River19
3 hours ago, Brent said:

The beautiful photos of German cars here reminded me of a great photo I took on the opening day of duck season last year.   🙂

49oU

As I learned my well practiced speech of "hook this to whatever part of your vehicle you want following me down the road, I suggest a tow hook or the frame, if you hook it to your bumper, your bumper will be following me down the road"..........I've pulled a handful of folks out with various trucks or been with someone pulling and invariably some idiot will hook it to their bumper or tire or something stupid and then we drive down the road with their bumper or tire bouncing around behind us.......so now I hand them the line with those instructions.......lol

Brent

That's great!  I'll have to use that.  There is a small college along my drive to work and with comical regularity I pull student cars out of snow banks in the winter.  So far I haven't taken any bumpers home with me.

The BMW X5 in the photo belongs to a couple I have been duck hunting with for a long time.  It's a really nice vehicle, but of course has limits that are different than a body on frame SUV.  The tow hook is cleverly hidden in the bumper, revealed by an otherwise almost invisible disc that turns out.

WyomingArt

No preference, aside from 5 used Suburbans  for kid/dog/gear/decoys/grocery/skis/soccer stuff/ trailer and boat haulers.  Gravitated to Toyota after owning  trucks or SUVs by GM, Ford, Dodge, Nissan and VW.  Most reliable, Toyota  hands down.

Craig Doherty

No, Since 1988 I've had 4 GMC 1500 P/Us and then made a big switch and my last two have been chevys!!!

Tim Frazier

My loyalty to Ford is they didn't take the buy out.  I will die before I buy any other American made brand.  HOWEVER, Toyota and Honda are where my real loyalty lies other than my 15 year old Ford Truck.  I don't like giving my gun, dog and hunting money away and I have incredible stories of durability and next to no parts needed over 100,000s of miles.