REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
ccavacini

How old

How old  

221 members have voted

1. 1. Reading through posts got me thinking of the age break down on Upland Journal

• 20-30
    • 31-41
    • 42-52
    • 53-63
    • 64-74
    • 75-80+

1 hour ago, Flairball said:

I hate to tell you this, but if you’re cranky beyond your years at 35, it ain’t working. 

I'm much less cranky here, because I'm not surrounded by idiots talking about the idiotic things they are entertained by. 

Cheesy

I’m 38 and a few weeks ago bought a 100 year old German 16 Guage. 5# 14 oz of sweetness. I’m old beyond my years....

Felix

At 62, I am only slightly surprised that almost 75% of the UJ'ers who have responded so far are 53 or older.  I think upland bird hunting is a shrinking group with terrible recruitment of youngsters.  Declining bird populations being the main culprit.

Although, this poll may be skewed as probably half of us "over 53" are retired and almost all are done raising kids so we have more time to sit in front a computer and respond to polls.

Brad Eden

I don't think the lack of young bird hunters is because of low bird numbers in Maine. The amount of birds to hunt hasn't changed much on average in the 30 years I've lived here. What has changed are the behaviors and habits of young people. The main reason being smart phones and tablets and video games. Everyone is living in a virtual reality these days. And young people want instant gratification. Ruffed grouse and Woodcock hunting is not instant gratification, far from it. It's a lot of hard work especially if wingshooting. Most Maine youngsters shoot their first grouse off a logging road, while deer and Moose hunting or scouting with Dad or ole uncle Jim. They become big game hunters and road sluicers by opportunity. Not a lot of wingshooters up here as Mentors. Also there isn't a "cool factor" in Upland bird hunting, and dare I say the anti and animal rights influence has gained some traction, and killing animals isn't considered a good thing to do, even evil and sick. We are an aging and dying breed it feels like.

61bhs

At 75 I wonder how many more years I will need four Britts?  Shot my 28 this morning  and my 83 was high against two K -80s and a Citori. We are shooting sporting at Sparta Friday morning.

topdog1961

"I don't know, but I've been told....If you never grow up, you never grow old."  

The wisdom of Tom Petty. 

Man, I wish I'd seen him in concert. Don't put off your bucket list. You never know how long those on it, or you, are gonna last. 

Fire Marshal Bill

I'm in the second to the last group also. Enough said. I do have to agree with Brad's last post. I've talked to several people who live in Maine and are big hunters, deer and bear. They told me that if they want grouse they just ride the roads for'em. 

walt lister

At my age, 80, when I'm shopping for a supply of something, how much should I buy. Will I last through the "Xtra Large, Jumbo" size vitamin bottle? Does "Lifetime Supply" really mean it? Don't want to waste money, ya know!

jeff88

Still can't get this line out of my head, spoken by Alan Arkin in Going in Style:  "I have the worst luck, I'll probably live 'til I'm 100."

Then there's WC Fields:  "You're only as old as the woman you feel."

The WC Fields corollary by me:  If my wife caught me feeling a woman younger than her, I would not get any older.

406dn

I fit right in the mainstream for the board's demographics. Number 67 showed up this spring. I have no health complaints at all. Nothing hurts and the regular trips to the gym have me in pretty good shape. 

I can still swing a leg over a horse, lead one off a mountain with an elk, follow an ambitious pointing dog, drink a gin and tonic in the shade, grill most any shape or size of meat on the grill, and spoil a grandkid.

The biggest realization is that more chapters have been written than there are remaining to write. No one knows how many are left but each one has to be savored. 

ccavacini

What I should have done (but couldn't figure it out) was to get in the Crunchy, Smooth peanut butter as it relates to age.

Big Al

A couple of years ago I told the guys I bird hunt with that if they wanted me to keep hunting with them they would have to slow down.  It was crazy how I just wasn't able to keep up anymore.  Up till then I was doing ok.  I'm 72 and I am slowing down.  Sucks!!!

Regarding hunter recruitment I agree with Brad.  Hunting just doesn't appeal to the younger kids.  I have four grandsons up here in Montana that are hunting age and none of them are interested.  Access or bird numbers aren't a problem as I own the land.  I do believe that access is a problem in other parts of the country but it isn't a problem in Montana.

topdog1961

Someone made a great post several years back on this subject. I remember the intent but not the exact words. Something about they'd rather ski in sideways at the end of life with a body bruised and battered by an exciting life; vs reaching death's door with a pristine body preserved by a boring life. 

I'd like to see it again, but they may no longer be with us, killed doing something exciting. 

FlyChamps

I'll be 70 in exactly 5 months.  I'll keep going as long as I can keep going.

browndrake

I'm nowhere near old, but don't really feel young any longer.  However, with 73% of the UJ population older than me.....I guess that I'm doing ok.

Reminds me of what dad used to say, "anybody younger than me is young....and anybody older than me is OLD"  But dad is still walking 4 miles a day to get ready for quail season!