REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
ccavacini

How old

How old  

221 members have voted

1. 1. Reading through posts got me thinking of the age break down on Upland Journal

• 20-30
    • 31-41
    • 42-52
    • 53-63
    • 64-74
    • 75-80+

mccuha
41 minutes ago, Big Al said:

A couple of years ago I told the guys I bird hunt with that if they wanted me to keep hunting with them they would have to slow down.  It was crazy how I just wasn't able to keep up anymore.  Up till then I was doing ok.  I'm 72 and I am slowing down.  Sucks!!!

Regarding hunter recruitment I agree with Brad.  Hunting just doesn't appeal to the younger kids.  I have four grandsons up here in Montana that are hunting age and none of them are interested.  Access or bird numbers aren't a problem as I own the land.  I do believe that access is a problem in other parts of the country but it isn't a problem in Montana.

I agree with you and Brad on the subject but I do believe around here the lack of upland interest is the lack of upland game   I believe the duck hunting craze by the younger people is due to all the duck dynasty and other duck shows.  If it were because we had great waterfowl around it would let be  understandable but that doesn’t exist either.  I can piddle with both around here but out of state is how I get my fix.  I take my son and nephew hunting around here and to my lease in ms but they know if they want to have good hunts they have to go out of town

homelessadam

30 going on 12

4 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

I don't think the lack of young bird hunters is because of low bird numbers in Maine. The amount of birds to hunt hasn't changed much on average in the 30 years I've lived here. What has changed are the behaviors and habits of young people. The main reason being smart phones and tablets and video games. Everyone is living in a virtual reality these days. And young people want instant gratification. Ruffed grouse and Woodcock hunting is not instant gratification, far from it. It's a lot of hard work especially if wingshooting. Most Maine youngsters shoot their first grouse off a logging road, while deer and Moose hunting or scouting with Dad or ole uncle Jim. They become big game hunters and road sluicers by opportunity. Not a lot of wingshooters up here as Mentors. Also there isn't a "cool factor" in Upland bird hunting, and dare I say the anti and animal rights influence has gained some traction, and killing animals isn't considered a good thing to do, even evil and sick. We are an aging and dying breed it feels like.

Thank you. 

I say this about my peers and I'm a clueless kid. 

topdog1961
56 minutes ago, browndrake said:

I'm nowhere near old, but don't really feel young any longer.  However, with 73% of the UJ population older than me.....I guess that I'm doing ok.

Reminds me of what dad used to say, "anybody younger than me is young....and anybody older than me is OLD"  But dad is still walking 4 miles a day to get ready for quail season!

The driving corollary is "Anyone driving slower than me is a moron, anyone driving faster is an idiot!"

E.Young

I'm 29. Mostly here for the going-out-of-business sales. 

Cooter Brown
15 minutes ago, E.Young said:

I'm 29. Mostly here for the going-out-of-business sales. 

Funny stuff.

WABBIT-SLAYER

65 and slowing down. Guys I hunt pheasant with in S.D. every year hunt too fast for me so I mostly block with another guy that's a few yrs. older than me. If I could lose about 30-40 lbs. I could probably keep up, but that's not likely to happen!

Edited by WABBIT-SLAYER

terrym

58 and overweight but somehow my slimmer buddies seem to struggle keeping up to me and my dog. Getting a hunting dog is a hell of a lot better than joining a gym. 

Remo
9 minutes ago, terrym said:

58 and overweight but somehow my slimmer buddies seem to struggle keeping up to me and my dog. Getting a hunting dog is a hell of a lot better than joining a gym. 

Yes!!!! I call it my wellness program.

fishvik

I just turned 66 last week, and still vertical and on top of the turf. Although the turkey vultures that roost down the road, fly over the house every morning checking.

Don Steese
9 hours ago, Cheesy said:

I’m 38 and a few weeks ago bought a 100 year old German 16 Guage. 5# 14 oz of sweetness. I’m old beyond my years....

I'd dearly love to see a photo. Old German guns are dear to my heart!!

Don Steese
9 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

I don't think the lack of young bird hunters is because of low bird numbers in Maine. The amount of birds to hunt hasn't changed much on average in the 30 years I've lived here. What has changed are the behaviors and habits of young people. The main reason being smart phones and tablets and video games. Everyone is living in a virtual reality these days. And young people want instant gratification. Ruffed grouse and Woodcock hunting is not instant gratification, far from it. It's a lot of hard work especially if wingshooting. Most Maine youngsters shoot their first grouse off a logging road, while deer and Moose hunting or scouting with Dad or ole uncle Jim. They become big game hunters and road sluicers by opportunity. Not a lot of wingshooters up here as Mentors. Also there isn't a "cool factor" in Upland bird hunting, and dare I say the anti and animal rights influence has gained some traction, and killing animals isn't considered a good thing to do, even evil and sick. We are an aging and dying breed it feels like.

Seeing as how I wrote a weekly outdoor column for three newspapers for over 30 years, people would ask me " What's the future of hunting?" To which I'd  reply, "Hunting has no future!"  I still believe that to be true, generally speaking.

To those who say, "Age is just a number!" I agree, but some numbers are a heck of a lot nicer than others!

Ben Hong

I will be 76 in 9 weeks' time and thank whoever, and modern medicines and drugs, I am still above the grass. I am overweight by any standard but not obese and I consider myself quite active; brisk 30 minute daily walks with Charlie, yard chores and 6 -8 hours of good competitive tennis weekly. I have accepted the fact that my mortal time is ticking away and I am comfortable with that. My only desire is that I cause no grief and present no burden to those whom I love.

Applying what little knowledge of statistical analysis I learned in university I would, after looking at the results of the poll, say that the future of bird hunting is fooked. Young people are just not interested for all the reasons that Steese and Bradford Eden cited.

Thinblueline
9 hours ago, Big Al said:

A couple of years ago I told the guys I bird hunt with that if they wanted me to keep hunting with them they would have to slow down.  It was crazy how I just wasn't able to keep up anymore.  Up till then I was doing ok.  I'm 72 and I am slowing down.  Sucks!!!

Regarding hunter recruitment I agree with Brad.  Hunting just doesn't appeal to the younger kids.  I have four grandsons up here in Montana that are hunting age and none of them are interested.  Access or bird numbers aren't a problem as I own the land.  I do believe that access is a problem in other parts of the country but it isn't a problem in Montana.

Sounds like you need to adopt another grandson...preferably from Wisconsin, with a French Brittany.

Brdhntr47

71 a couple weeks ago. Still hunting 4 days a week but it's been getting harder the last couple years. 

Dennis