REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
hexfly

Grouse hunters and gps v locators

hexfly

When keeping track of your pointers and setters, us grouse hunters know that when your dog is 50 yards away, you probably have lost sight of your dog. When I was a kid, pops used a bell to hear his dogs location. Modern devices progressed and now we have location and pointing beepers.  GPS technology will tell you where your dog is anywhere in a 7 mile radius. This way you can run them quiet. But... What do you do to keep track of your dog when they run off behind the ridge?  I used to listen for a bell or a beep. Now I feel that I'll spend my day looking at a GPS screen waiting for my dog to run off. What seems to be the ideal device is a selectable running beeper, location/ callback beeper with GPS pointing indication. 

Im wanting a GPS for that time when a dog comes up missing, but currently I see no know way of maintaining contact with my dog without an additional collar. Am I missing something?  What's the current practice being done?   

WAGinVA

GPS and a beeper.

Bird Buster

Garmin Fenix 3 or similar watch used in conjunction  with Alpha just need a quick glance at watch to know dog location. 

bill
20 minutes ago, Bird Buster said:

Garmin Fenix 3 or similar watch used in conjunction  with Alpha just need a quick glance at watch to know dog location. 

what is the price tag on that site up

hexfly

using the Fenix 3, will it show distance to dog?

Bird Buster

Approx. $300 for Fenix 3 watch and yes it will show distance to dog. There is also a few other watches like Garmin vivoactove hr that will also display dog tracking that cost a little less but don't appear as durable at least to me. The fenix 3 can really take  a  beating. So much easier than fooling with a beeper and maintaining carrying it. 

2 Ugly Dogs

I run an Astro gps on my dogs for point alert, mainly use the dogtra 2500 t&b beep function for locating them. I rarely look at he gps screen with this set up. 

bntsetter

Astro and Bell.  I enjoy listening to the bell but I also like to know where the dog is when she goes off the bell.  Not to mention once the bell stops it's easy to look at the astro and say 250 yards in that direction....lol

MDash2

Alpha and Fenix 3. The watch is expensive but it has totally removed the hassle of pulling out the handheld to reference the dogs location. It will vibrate when the dog goes on point and show the direction arrow as well as distance. Quick glance at the watch and you know where the dog is located. 

WPG Gizmo

Cant hear a bell to save my arse and I am sure that most long term shooters are in the same boat so I use a Dogtra 2002 T&B and a Astro.  The dogs run out then will check back in it is when I have not seen them in a period of time that I look at the Astro to get a idea where they are.  You have to trust the dog but it is nice to keep them honest.

airmedic1

I have run a bell, a beeper and now and Astro.  I got so I couldn't hear the bell because of hearing loss and found the beeper to be obnoxious and I think it scares game.  I use an Astro, carried in a pouch on the front of my vest, secured with a heavy duty gear keeper.  I have it set to vibrate and make a noise when one of the dogs point.  I pull it out, see which dog is pointing and head that direction.  It's worked for me for 8-9 years and other than upgrading from a 220 to a 320 and now thinking about a 430 and replacing some collars that wore out I am satisfied.  I like the piece of mind of being able to see where and how far away my dogs are.

AM

Dave Quindt

Does anyone know if the Fenix 5 watch offers any additional dog tracking functionality than the Fenix 3?  Only concerned about functionality for hunting; any features for triathletes or ultra-marathoners are not exactly a concern. 

Thanks,

Dave

MDash2

Dave, it's the same dog tracking wiget so there is no difference in terms of feature/function/user interface between the Fenix 3 and 5. The watches are a different size thu which might impact a decision. If dog tracking is the main objective I would suggest the less expensive F3. JMO. 

readgriff

I run a low tone bell and a Astro for the woods.

Can here the bell most of time when I can’t look at Astro to get a location and how far.

Bird Buster

Garmin Fenix 3 just popped up in Swap Trade for those interested.