REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
hexfly

Grouse hunters and gps v locators

doodlecrazy

I run all 3: bell, beeper set to point-only and a Garmin Alpha.

I’ve only lost a dog overnight once so never felt the need for a gps collar so I just use a beeper. If I get to the point where my hearing goes and I can’t quickly find my dog on point, I’ll then go to a gps and a beeper set to point only.

doodlecrazy
51 minutes ago, JCJ said:

I’ve only lost a dog overnight once so never felt the need for a gps collar so I just use a beeper. If I get to the point where my hearing goes and I can’t quickly find my dog on point, I’ll then go to a gps and a beeper set to point only.

Jay, so I'm assuming you do not run a bell? Just the beeper, and not set to point only?

john mcg

I’ve been scared good more than once. I find much comfort using the dog gps.

I still like the sound of a bell, but often it just doesn’t cut it.

Ran a TT beeper year’s ago and hated it.

So did Tucker.

For me...the Alpha is the perfect tool.

43 minutes ago, doodlecrazy said:

Jay, so I'm assuming you do not run a bell? Just the beeper, and not set to point only?

Yes when my dogs are young and I have a desire to know where they are, I run a beeper in run/point mode. 

When they are older and I’m less concerned about their whereabouts I’ve typically run a beeper set on point only. 

My current pup Bud is the only dog I’ve owned where I can realistically run a bell and still be able to quickly find him on point. He is that handy.

Curt

If your dog actually runs off a beeper will be useless unless your hearing is much better than mine.  I can hear a beeper out to about 80 yards or so if the wind isn't blowing.  My youngest brit has run off three times this summer while training and the last time the garmin showed him just over 1.3 miles away when I headed off after him, took two hours to track him down in hilly, wooded, muddy, terrain.  Lost his signal 3 or 4 times on that excursion but it always came back when I reached high ground.  If your concern is a dog that may run off you likely only need something like the garmin Alpha or Astro to keep track of his location, distance, etc.

bmeador
On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 10:12 AM, bntsetter said:

Astro and Bell.  I enjoy listening to the bell but I also like to know where the dog is when she goes off the bell.  Not to mention once the bell stops it's easy to look at the astro and say 250 yards in that direction....lol

That's exactly how I do it also.  When the bell stops, you can begin to head that direction as you pull out the Astro and look at yardage.

gunsrus
On 8/3/2018 at 10:12 AM, bntsetter said:

Astro and Bell.  I enjoy listening to the bell but I also like to know where the dog is when she goes off the bell.  Not to mention once the bell stops it's easy to look at the astro and say 250 yards in that direction....lol

This ^^ 

Except Alpha and bell .

doodlecrazy
36 minutes ago, bmeador said:

That's exactly how I do it also.  When the bell stops, you can begin to head that direction as you pull out the Astro and look at yardage.

I tried it, can't  do it. For me it's so much faster and easier to locate EXACTLY where the dog is with a beeper. Plus I found myself staring at  screen during grouse and woodcock flushes. Could probably get away with it now but not during the early season.

john mcg

Tucker in particular...when he thinks there are birds around in the thick stuff, he gets really sneaky and so slow, I can’t hear the bell.

The gps is worth its weight in close by circumstances also.

i do usually run the bells anyway. Tradition.

gunsrus

Never lost a dog but have come close . Having the Astro and or Alpha has found the dog so all is well . I would be so sorry if it had gone the other way and never found the dog . 

Once while trialing , my Zack was "gone" for some time  . The handler (somebody I respect) couldn't find him . Being a trial , no GPS was allowed . He was my first big running dog and I was scared crap . Now , I know he was on point , having hunted him for years . He won't budge with a bird on point . He showed up further down the trial probably after the bird flushed . 

I do understand those who hunt with dogs that are underfoot or at best close working dogs not having a GPS but ........... there is always that one time . JMHO . 

doodlecrazy
4 minutes ago, gunsrus said:

Never lost a dog but have come close . Having the Astro and or Alpha has found the dog so all is well . I would be so sorry if it had gone the other way and never found the dog . 

Once while trialing , my Zack was "gone" for some time  . The handler (somebody I respect) couldn't find him . Being a trial , no GPS was allowed . He was my first big running dog and I was scared crap . Now , I know he was on point , having hunted him for years . He won't budge with a bird on point . He showed up further down the trial probably after the bird flushed . 

I do understand those who hunt with dogs that are underfoot or at best close working dogs not having a GPS but ........... there is always that one time . JMHO . 

My setter is AT MOST a 100yd dog and he NEVER goes in the woods without an Alpha collar. Nope....not gonna ever chance it.

john mcg

We were a ways up Magalloway in winter with a fresh snow dump and Tucker, when birds aren’t close by went looking.

285 yards in thick black growth and snow is a long way and the sound is deadened.

this was shortly after having an Astro. I would have had no idea where he was.

Just one episode.

WMassGriff

Alpha GPS and Bell. Like the bell to hear what he is doing and especially if he starts to break on the flush or shot.