REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Thinblueline

Do You Keep E-Collars On Your Dogs During Hunts?

Cooter Brown
2 minutes ago, C.J.L. said:

Well when it comes to a porky while hunting, you are very seldom at the same location as the porky and the dog to administrate a corrective shock.  Typically ol Roy just comes back with quills in it's face, neck or side after attacking said porky on his account.  Only time I've witnessed a sticking was when one of my shorthairs was pointing a clump of short fir trees.  I walked around that clump kicking it and no bird came out so I told the dog "OK" and she jumped in. She jumped back out quick as you can snap your fingers with a face full of quills.  My bad.  

What I was talking about doesn't have anything to do with the odds of witnessing the event, though I saw it about to happen with a young dog and was glad I had the collar on the dog at the time.  It prevented a quilling.  This was his first season and before I'd had a chance to find a porky to use to break him.

It's just as important having the collar on a young dog in case a target of opportunity comes along and presents itself for use in breaking.  If you're in the woods and find a fresh killed porcupine it's a great opportunity for breaking the dog.  But only if you have the collar on the dog.  That very scenario is how I broke my first dog off porkies.  I reinforced it not long after when I came across a live one on a skid road and let the dog work back to me and find the porcupine.  Neither of those would have been possible if the collar had been back in the truck.  That dog never got quilled.

Clueless1

I have labs, and they get excited when they see the collars.  Even if it isn't charged it's a different dog when he knows the collar is on.  I haven't had to use it in a year though.  Can't even remember what the last 'stim' would have been for. 

kgb

My collar has a beeper on it, it's the long range direction-changer I find of most use for the old dog, especially as his hearing is going.

airmedic1

I run the Garmin GPS collar and the Garmin e-collar every time I hunt.  I put brass tag on the e-collar with my info on it and take the dogs regular collar off.  I've never had an issue with the right sized probes causing sores and I put the e-collar on in the morning when I leave the house and don't take it off until I'm done hunting.

AM

terrym

Mine don't leave home without an e-collar. I run a Dogtra 2500 T&B but my new pup chased a deer this spring so will likely wear the Astro 320 also. Lots of stuff around her tiny neck but it doesn't slow her down. 

fishvik
On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 9:30 AM, Clueless1 said:

I have labs, and they get excited when they see the collars.  Even if it isn't charged it's a different dog when he knows the collar is on.  I haven't had to use it in a year though.  Can't even remember what the last 'stim' would have been for. 

I run dogs with collars all the time. When they have the collar on they know it is business time and they definitely pay attention. I use it after a voice instruction or a whistle if they don't obey. That way I can also use a dummy collar and they'll obey anticipating a shock if they don't.  I only use the shock alone when my GSP is definitely ranging out too far.

snood

I run a gsp and a pointer in the grouse woods and always use the e-collar. I sometimes have an astro as well, along with a bell and sometimes even a beeper. Lots of things hanging from their necks at times but it doesn't seem to bother them. You just never know when you're going to need it so I don't like to chance it.

tut

Because I don't live in the wild open spaces I'm limited to where I can run the dogs.  Closest place is the county fairgrounds where I can get Sophie out to about 200 yards.  This isn't training as much as exercising.  Fair grounds are always mowed, no groundhog holes and thus she can really open up.  Normally there are some feral Pigeons around feeding on weed seeds and they will circle the fair grounds and she will blow out the carbon and chase them around.   E-collar is always on and she is whistle trained.  Every once in a while she might try to range out to 250 yards and then there is an open gate and from that open gate about another 100 yards to a highway.  Once she gets close to that gate, I'll whistle her back in.  If she runs through that gate then stimulation will get her turned around quick.   PS.  I've used it for Porky training more then once.    

Ray Gubernat
On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 7:43 PM, NECarson said:

37# Pointer here.

Astro ALWAYS. 

Regular name collar ALWAYS. 

Garmin Pro 70 doing anything but running a trial. 

+1 on this.  That is what I do, except mine is a Tritronics Flyway Special.

As was impressed upon me many moons ago... it is rather difficult to correct a dog with an e-collar that it is NOT wearing.  My days of chasing a dog down are looooong gone.

RayG

1 hour ago, Ray Gubernat said:

+1 on this.  That is what I do, except mine is a Tritronics Flyway Special.

As was impressed upon me many moons ago... it is rather difficult to correct a dog with an e-collar that it is NOT wearing.  My days of chasing a dog down are looooong gone.

RayG

I'd rather put on an ecollar that I don't need than need an ecollar I didn't put in. 

MUSTANGER7

I have both the Garmin GPS and e-collar on one collar, also using a grinder I rounded off the contact points as I rarely used the shock feature, maybe a light nick once a year in the beginning of the season. Taking the point off has not hindered the shock feature that I can tell. I have trained mine to respond to the beeps two beeps mean for them to turn towards me a long series of beeps means head my way. I did that by using the beeper collar along with a whistle two blasts mean turn my way way and one long blast means come in, I would use the beeps along with the whistle toots and they just picked it up. If there real close I tell the this way or here again I would use the whistle at the same time I spoke to them. Here in Florida we have all sorts of cover types, in close cover I'll just do one beep to hear where their at, they pay no attention to one beep, two they turn towards me. I give the a loud yewie call so they can locate me. My guys are getting old like me so I carry a walking stick with a white rag on the end that I wave at them if their off at a distance and I can see them looking for me, they pick up the movement quickly and respond accordingly.

tmoneysju

I run the e-collar at all times, mainly for emergency purposes as others have stated. Also, mine has a beep mode too and I use that to turn them instead of a whistle and I like that because it's much quieter.

bmeador

Always, always, always!  E-collar, Tracking collar and name tags.

Thinblueline

Thanks for everyone’s responses. I’ll be sticking with my Dogtra E-collar, my Garmin Astro 430 T5 Mini which just arrived at my house a couple days ago, and a bell. Oh, and I’ve got his regular collar with the name plate and my contact info, although sticking a name plate on the e-collar or gps collar and shedding his every day collar during hunts isn’t a bad idea. 

MUSTANGER7
2 hours ago, Thinblueline said:

Thanks for everyone’s responses. I’ll be sticking with my Dogtra E-collar, my Garmin Astro 430 T5 Mini which just arrived at my house a couple days ago, and a bell. Oh, and I’ve got his regular collar with the name plate and my contact info, although sticking a name plate on the e-collar or gps collar and shedding his every day collar during hunts isn’t a bad idea. 

I have name plates on everyday collar and the GPS/E collar their not really expensive at Gun Dog Supply