REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
bmeador

Portable Power Inverter Questions

bmeador

I am heading to an area where I will have no electricity to chase birds this fall.  The cabin is 100% propane with gravity fed water supply. 

I have 2 inverters that plug into the cig lighter ports in my Tundra.  Have a single port in back seat and a double port on dash.

#1 inverter is 200W, 1.74A and has a single 115V plug and a 12V cig lighter port. No fuses

#2 is 400W, two USB ports/3.1A shared, two 115V plugs. Replaceable 35A fuse.

I need them to charge (for 10 days) 3 tracking collars, 2 e-collars and transmitter, 2 cell phones and 2 sets of 4 rechargeable AA battery banks.

Now my questions...

Will it harm my truck battery going down the road with 3 tracking collars and 2 cell phones plugged in and charging?

Can I harm the internal truck wiring to each cig lighter port by using them too much?

I'm looking for any and all info, suggestions, do's and don'ts...  I've been using the little one around home charging as I drive around, but I don't want to mess up or burn something up out in the middle of nowhere over a thousand miles from home.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Timn

I did the same thing last winter after three days truck battery was dead. You will need to start and charge battery while they charge.

Marc

Why not rent a small generator to take with you? The Tundra should have room for it.

Up North

Charging that while you’re driving would be fine. 

Jim Vander

I may be misreading your OP but Inverters are very power  inefficient and waste a lot of electricity by their nature both in power conversions and thermal loss. I don't know what vintage collars you have but if you can charge them directly using DC your better off. 

Either way your going to be on the edge of what that circuit can handle amperage wise particularly as Im pretty sure both outlets are on one fuse or at least they are in my Tundra. 

Its not hard to add a dedicated circuit I did in mine and located behind back seat. I can give you all the details if you like. 

Assuming your driving  a few hours each day I don't think your going to have any issues. I frequently run similar dc loads without issue. I do carry a small jump starter with me though just in case. 

UplandHntr

Ive needed to charge small stuff out west also. I bought a couple of solar chargers. Theres a million options, choose the size and style to fit your needs. 

terrym

We run CPap machines off deep cycle batteries when we do our ice fishing weekend every year. Buying a proper inverter with higher load capacities would be a good long term investment. But I have no doubt your daily traveling back & forth would work too. 

cajunl

I can charge an one Garmin alpha handheld,  4 tt15 garmin collars and a cellphone just on the DC outlets on my f-150 with it running. It can handle this without blowing the fuse. I would think you would not have a problem but like said earlier would have to start and run the truck.

You can also buy a small gas powered generator for less than a $100 that is a little bigger than a foot squared. I have one I bought to charge power tools after the hurricanes. They are loud for how small they are but get the job done. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sportsman-1-000-900-Watt-Gasoline-Powered-Portable-Generator-with-2-Stroke-Brushless-Motor-GEN1000/100678248?cm_mmc=Shopping|G|Base|D28I|28-7_GENERATORS|NA|PLA|71700000032329684|58700003837602438|92700030697810345&gclid=CjwKCAjw-8nbBRBnEiwAqWt1zbcH3BI2xAHasBR63aNgJMfX5onPPhCtrFfggB6hF1IAnlQEfHCoCxoCSCgQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CI7Tyo7B7NwCFS_54QodFMACOg

bmeador
6 hours ago, Jim Vander said:

I may be misreading your OP but Inverters are very power  inefficient and waste a lot of electricity by their nature both in power conversions and thermal loss. I don't know what vintage collars you have but if you can charge them directly using DC your better off. 

Either way your going to be on the edge of what that circuit can handle amperage wise particularly as Im pretty sure both outlets are on one fuse or at least they are in my Tundra. 

Its not hard to add a dedicated circuit I did in mine and located behind back seat. I can give you all the details if you like. 

Assuming your driving  a few hours each day I don't think your going to have any issues. I frequently run similar dc loads without issue. I do carry a small jump starter with me though just in case. 

I'd love to have your info on a dedicated circuit.  Thanks.

Flush
On 8/13/2018 at 1:20 PM, bmeador said:

I am heading to an area where I will have no electricity to chase birds this fall.  The cabin is 100% propane with gravity fed water supply. 

I have 2 inverters that plug into the cig lighter ports in my Tundra.  Have a single port in back seat and a double port on dash.

#1 inverter is 200W, 1.74A and has a single 115V plug and a 12V cig lighter port. No fuses

#2 is 400W, two USB ports/3.1A shared, two 115V plugs. Replaceable 35A fuse.

The ratings of the inverters isn't what matters, it's the draw of the chargers themselves (which is often listed on the plug). 

In general chargers don't draw much current although you are talking about 8 of them. I doubt you would need all 8 of them plugged in at once, but maybe you would.

An easy test is to plug them all in at once (when the devices are discharged and draw a charge) and if it doesn't blow your fuse you will be ok. like Jim V mentioned it will be more efficient to use the 12V plugs instead of going through the inverters where possible. 

My Ford truck has the power outlets on multiple circuits, not sure on the Tundras. 

Usually each circuit is rated at 10 amps.

My cell phone charger shows that it draws about 1amp (at 12V) and assuming the collar and AA chargers are similar that would put you somewhat near the limit of one circuit but well below the limit of two. 

I'm not sure what Jim V. did, but it's pretty easy to run a positive wire (10 or 12 gauge) from the battery (with a fuse near the battery) and a negative wire (same gauge as positive) from the battery into the cab (or bed) and wire in a multi-port outlet.