REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
jeff88

Full size pick-up truck as the daily driver

jeff88
3 hours ago, NECarson said:

If you're going to own a truck you gotta be good at saying no! Lol 

Thanks belatedly?

2 hours ago, Lars said:

If you ever buy one put a cap on it.  Narrows way down on the hauling requests. 

A cap on a rental truck?

Yinz guys are no help!

15 hours ago, jeff88 said:

Thanks belatedly?

A cap on a rental truck?

Yinz guys are no help!

No need. Lol

Quit talking like a Yankee! Especially while you drive the truck. 

jeff88
18 minutes ago, NECarson said:

Quit talking like a Yankee! Especially while you drive the truck. 

LOL!  What was I thinking?  It's "all y'all are no help!"

jeff88

The Ram 1500 went back to Hertz yesterday.  Picked up the car and it's home now.  Some thoughts on driving a full-size pick-up in the HOU metro area for a week:

- As I got more used to driving something larger, it started feeling smaller.  It's been a while since I was backing-up dump trucks full of fresh asphalt and dropping the hot mess into a small space.  Or driving a school bus loaded with kids.  It all came back pretty fast.  That said, I didn't have a camper on back, visibility was wide open.

- Unlike a lot of other UJ-ers, I simply have no need for a truck but totally get how they can be useful if one tows, the need to transport large items, go off the beaten path and expect to come back etc

- The Ram's ride was far less truck-like than I expected, smooth, quiet, much more like luxury car.  On the other side of the coin, it was a bit mushy.  Trade-offs have to made. 

- Now that I've walked in the shoes of those who own a truck for no other purpose than to get back and forth to the office - WTF?  The "all hat, no horse" concept came home to roost. 

- The corollary to the above, if I needed a truck for just a short while - Hertz or Avis has them.  

- Getting into the g37 and heading away it felt like a go cart after driving the truck all week

Part of me wishes I had a need for a truck.  Living in a urban area and not needing to tow anything, even the MDX often seems like it's too much.  OTOH, having a ranch or a remote vacation home with a need to haul items as well as get way off the grid - a full size pick-up would be just the ticket.  

20180823_182312.jpg

blanked

I cant imagine not having at least an SUV if your not a truck fan.  How do you fit your camping , hunting, fishing, gear in a luxury sedan like that

Cheesy
On 8/24/2018 at 12:27 PM, blanked said:

I cant imagine not having at least an SUV if your not a truck fan.  How do you fit your camping , hunting, fishing, gear in a luxury sedan like that

Same here. It just does not compute in my head. 

I’ve got a crew cab F250 that I dearly love to drive. Tons of room. More than tons of power. Visibility. We are pretty rural, so parking is a no issue. My usual commute is 50 miles so I slum it up driving a worn out Civic to save on fuel and oil changes on the truck. 

Wifes “car” is a Yukon. I don’t think we could function without the room. 

How does one haul lumber in a car?  Or take the dogs down to the river for a swim. I won’t even put my fishing poles in the Yukon because they have to be broken down and turn into a jumbled mess. Last week was dragging a skid steer around. This week who knows. 

terrym

As much as I like my Ram to be honest an SUV that you can hook a  4x8 utility trailer too used to serve just as well. I had a Jeep Liberty and it towed the boat, ATV, and hauled me around nicely. The trailer is still in the driveway but doesn't get used anymore, not by me anyway. If I had to go back to a SUV/trailer combo I would be fine. 

The F250 is currently in pieces, so I'm driving a half ton. 

It feels like a toy. 

greg jacobs

Park down the middle of 2 spaces. May not be politically correct but works for me.

Gunguy

My daily is a Tundra. I couldn't imagine not having it. It is a bit of a pain sometimes since I can't park in any of the parking garages, but the backup camera makes parallel parking a breeze. I am always hauling the dogs, or tools, or building materials so its very convenient. My wife has a 4runner so I just take that if I know I am going somewhere with tight parking. 

25/06
On 8/24/2018 at 8:52 AM, jeff88 said:

The Ram 1500 went back to Hertz yesterday.  Picked up the car and it's home now.  Some thoughts on driving a full-size pick-up in the HOU metro area for a week:

- As I got more used to driving something larger, it started feeling smaller.  It's been a while since I was backing-up dump trucks full of fresh asphalt and dropping the hot mess into a small space.  Or driving a school bus loaded with kids.  It all came back pretty fast.  That said, I didn't have a camper on back, visibility was wide open.

- Unlike a lot of other UJ-ers, I simply have no need for a truck but totally get how they can be useful if one tows, the need to transport large items, go off the beaten path and expect to come back etc

- The Ram's ride was far less truck-like than I expected, smooth, quiet, much more like luxury car.  On the other side of the coin, it was a bit mushy.  Trade-offs have to made. 

- Now that I've walked in the shoes of those who own a truck for no other purpose than to get back and forth to the office - WTF?  The "all hat, no horse" concept came home to roost. 

- The corollary to the above, if I needed a truck for just a short while - Hertz or Avis has them.  

- Getting into the g37 and heading away it felt like a go cart after driving the truck all week

Part of me wishes I had a need for a truck.  Living in a urban area and not needing to tow anything, even the MDX often seems like it's too much.  OTOH, having a ranch or a remote vacation home with a need to haul items as well as get way off the grid - a full size pick-up would be just the ticket.  

20180823_182312.jpg

25/06

Best of both world.... I actually saw one of these at the Chevy dealer in Madison SD a couple years ago.

It is a 59 Caddy....

Infinity Luxury with a full sized pickup box. Down side might be EVERYBODY will know where you hunt:ph34r:

(stole this photo of the net)

image.thumb.png.e0463498edd01a05f6a50d26b11c9984.png

Curt

I don't know, looks a little small to me.  For the last five years my daily driver has been a Ford F350 crew cab, of course it does have the power folding mirrors, so that helps.

TJK68

My daily driver F-250, I have never owned a car, and don't think I ever will.

20170922_152817.jpg