Behind the Break.

I have been listening to some of the Top Pro Sporting clays shooters in the world. If your into shooting there are some pretty good interviews. A new one comes out every Wednesday.  

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dogrunner

• Snipeaholic

• KerryLuft

• Jakeismydog2

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Will Hinton is a great ambassador for the sport and a heck of a nice young man. I shot some 5 stand with him at Gator Skeet & Trap a couple of years ago and he was letting everyone shoot his K Par

Probably should have went last week.  If he wins next week his price might go up. 😉

Yes it was good. I've dealt with Cole on several occasions and it's always been a great experience. I got a good chuckle when he was talking about customer service and said he woke up every morning an

I have been enjoying them. Really liked the one with Andy Duffy. I still have some catching up to do on some of the other back episodes.

Will Hinton is a great ambassador for the sport and a heck of a nice young man. I shot some 5 stand with him at Gator Skeet & Trap a couple of years ago and he was letting everyone shoot his K Parcours. Alex Rennert is one of the guys he is on the AMU with managed Gator for a while and is a super good guy. Both of those guys are shooting some good International Trap.

I heard the Purser one and will have to catch up on Digweed. Just finished Gebbon Miles today.

Awesome interview with a young and rising shooter. Gives a good explanation on why he shoots an Auto and is sticking with it. Sounds like a very smart and grounded young man. Gives good explanations for a kid his age. I wish more kids on my team had an attitude like his they could learn a lot. 

Jakeismydog2
On 8/22/2018 at 5:51 AM, dogrunner said:

Awesome interview with a young and rising shooter. Gives a good explanation on why he shoots an Auto and is sticking with it. Sounds like a very smart and grounded young man. Gives good explanations for a kid his age. I wish more kids on my team had an attitude like his they could learn a lot. 

I listened to that one too. Obviously an exceptional young man. I found myself feeling very naive listening to these podcasts. Both Fanizzi and Mein started shooting registered tournaments when they were 8 years old. Fanizzi is 15 and shoots 5-6 flats on a Saturday for practice. It sure takes a lot of $$$$$ to become great at this sport.

I feel Lucky to shoot 1 round each month. All my friends think I am "obsessed" for shooting that much.

Yep they started young and had good coaches. Obsessed with 1 round a month is not very much,  you need to find a good shooting buddy. I feel bad when I don’t burn at least a 💯 a week.  When a tournament is coming I try and get at least 125 the week before, it don’t always happen. Sometimes I just got to the skeet or trap field and do so slow concentrated target work, just like Duffy suggested. 

The one with Desirae Edmunds is pretty good. Also talks about how a few great shooters won National Championships with Autos. 

On 8/24/2018 at 7:00 PM, dogrunner said:

Yep they started young and had good coaches. Obsessed with 1 round a month is not very much,  you need to find a good shooting buddy. I feel bad when I don’t burn at least a 💯 a week.  When a tournament is coming I try and get at least 125 the week before, it don’t always happen. 

When I'm gearing up for a big shoot, I shoot 500 targets a week, minimum.  I can't afford to do that for very long in terms of time or money, so I pick one or two shoots a year and gear for those, going to 500 targets a week or more for six weeks before the shoot. 

That isn't five trips through the course; instead, I make a checklist of targets I expect to see and work on all them methodically.  I might shoot 100 rabbits, or 100 trap targets, before moving on to something else.

I don't shoot very many clays from October to February, if any.  When I come back I try to shoot 100 or so once a week, cleaning up my gun mount and working on seeing the bird really well.   Trap and skeet fields are fine for that. Over the course of a month, I ramp it up to about a case a week and keep it there until I'm getting ready to work toward the big blast.

Even then, that's not much shooting compared to the guys who are getting interviewed on the podcast.  Will Fennell told me once that he had a DT10 with more than a million rounds through it.  That's 500 a week for 38 YEARS!!!  And I think he had a backup gun with almost as many.

On 8/25/2018 at 11:28 AM, dogrunner said:

Also talks about how a few great shooters won National Championships with Autos. 

And they still could if their sponsors wanted them to shoot autos.  Diane Sorantino won the ladies' world English this year with an A400 ... it's the indian, not the arrow.

Yes she did, between her and S Robertson I don’t think there are any big names still shooting them. That is what surprised me when Desi said it because even though a sponsor wants you to if you can win more with a more forgiving arrow maybe they should have not changed. She even said Zach helped design the new A300 sporting which kinda surprised me. I have handled one I whis it was a tad heavier. 

2 hours ago, dogrunner said:

if you can win more with a more forgiving arrow maybe they should have not changed. 

Kind of hard to pass up the money from a sponsor and try to make up the difference by winning. The top check cut after last week’s regional was about $5000 - And that’s after putting down money to play options, and entry fees that exceed a dollar a bird. There aren’t any shooters making their living solely by winning tournaments. And not all of the pros have full teaching schedules either.

As for the A300 — it is very very easy to add weight to an auto loader. I have about 10 ounces of extra weight in my 391s.

By listening to some of them talk it don’t sound like they get much from a sponsor. Yes David R got just under $5g and he won the most. I seen Bill Mcquire at Sparta this year giving a lesson not sure how much business he got, I think he was there 3-4 days. I should have talked to him and maybe got one from him.