Behind the Break.

Sponsorships vary widely.  I've heard rumors but never have asked anyone directly.  Figure it's none of my business.

McGuire is one of the very nicest people on the circuit.  He teaches fairly frequently at Northbrook, you should come over when he's here and scout the place in advance of the World English.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dogrunner

• Snipeaholic

• KerryLuft

• Jakeismydog2

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Will Hinton is a great ambassador for the sport and a heck of a nice young man. I shot some 5 stand with him at Gator Skeet & Trap a couple of years ago and he was letting everyone shoot his K Par

Probably should have went last week.  If he wins next week his price might go up. 😉

Yes it was good. I've dealt with Cole on several occasions and it's always been a great experience. I got a good chuckle when he was talking about customer service and said he woke up every morning an

That sounds great. Let me know when he’s there and if I’m not busy I would like to come check out your club. Definitely need to see it before this time next year. 

37 minutes ago, dogrunner said:

Duffy II was today.  

Yup. Not any fluff or chatter. Good info for the intermediate shooter I thought. I hope they can keep it fresh and interesting.

They will probably get a couple good ones down at the Southeast Regional next week. 

Brad Kidd was a pretty good listen. Also surprised he don’t have a shell sponsor.    

I liked his answer about what shells he shoots. "Whatever I can get my hands on". He's got to be in good shape to do the free-diving he was talking about.

Earlier this year I shot practice with Brad for a few hours, along with the general manager of my gun club.  Brad shot 1 oz. loads of No. 8 shot at 1150 fps for virtually everything and that load absolutely obliterated targets even at very long range.  He changed to a hotter load of 7.5s only at the end, when we were shooting (or in my case, shooting AT) some monster targets.

That afternoon changed my mind about the relative importance of speed in selecting a sporting clays load.

On 8/27/2018 at 3:05 PM, dogrunner said:

Yes she did, between her and S Robertson I don’t think there are any big names still shooting them. That is what surprised me when Desi said it because even though a sponsor wants you to if you can win more with a more forgiving arrow maybe they should have not changed. She even said Zach helped design the new A300 sporting which kinda surprised me. I have handled one I whis it was a tad heavier. 

I believe Kerry Luft said he has taken Lessons from Anthony Matarese.... As I understand it Anthony switched to a DT10 in order to try out for the Olympics in bunker. The Olympics and many Western European countries do not allow Semi Autos or Pump Guns at all as they are considered military weapons. I observed that many of the English shooters would put their guns in slips when they went from station to station. I thought they really babied their guns over there. When I asked it turns out it is the law over there you cannot walk from station to station with your gun in the open.

F.IT.A.S.C specifically excludes pump guns but allows Semi Autos as the French consider a pump action shotgun a military weapon only.

Kerry may be able to correct me If I was misinformed on Anthony reason for switching to an o/u.

25 minutes ago, 25/06 said:

As I understand it Anthony switched to a DT10 in order to try out for the Olympics in bunker. 

DT-11, actually.  As I recall, there were several things going on at the time:

• Anthony wanted to shoot bunker, to the point that he installed a layout at M&M at no small expense;
  • The 391 was no longer in production and Beretta shooters were switching to the A400;
  • He didn't want to learn two guns at once.

I am not positive but I think he said he would have shot the A400 if he hadn't wanted to try bunker.  As it stands he shoots the DT-11 at least as well as he did the 391.

At that level I am not altogether certain that the gun matters all that much, given a reasonable level of quality.  Duffy won nationals with Browning O/Us and autos and a mutual friend and top competitor says he's shooting as well as ever with a Krieghoff.  Cory Kruse won one national title with an auto, I believe, and another with a Blaser.  McGuire didn't miss a beat switching from Krieghoff to Blaser. 

But the fact that Anthony shoots an O/U so well hasn't prompted me to give up my own 391, nor has he ever suggested that I switch either. 

14 hours ago, KerryLuft said:

Earlier this year I shot practice with Brad for a few hours, along with the general manager of my gun club.  Brad shot 1 oz. loads of No. 8 shot at 1150 fps for virtually everything and that load absolutely obliterated targets even at very long range.  He changed to a hotter load of 7.5s only at the end, when we were shooting (or in my case, shooting AT) some monster targets.

That afternoon changed my mind about the relative importance of speed in selecting a sporting clays load.

Hmm. He said he likes 7.5 at 1250fps surprised he shot that slow a shell in an 8.  Also he said he shoots  a lot of these, which are kind of pricey. 

AB7896C0-680A-46D5-991C-D6DA3F456595.jpeg

John, he said directly that he shoots whatever he gets his hands on.  That's what he put his hands on that day.  I went back and looked at my shooting journal and confirmed it, and that was written within hours after shooting, so it's not a faulty memory.

I know from personal experience that I can shoot anything from 1150 to 1290 with no perceptible difference in leads or performance on clays at any reasonable range.  I PREFER something on the upper end.  During my last lesson, all that was available was 1170 fps of 1 ounce 8s.  Broke everything I shot at if I did my part.

On 8/23/2018 at 9:43 PM, Jakeismydog2 said:

I feel Lucky to shoot 1 round each month. All my friends think I am "obsessed" for shooting that much.

You need to be cursed with friends like I have.... When I moved to Eastern South Dakota I met a guy who shoots a LOT. He is closing in on 250,000 lifetime registered plus he had

a pretty active ATA life at one time.

The most I have shot in a year was 10,400 registered but my check book can not stand that much fun year in and out. I get chastised for only shooting 5,000- 7,000 a year. This

is pretty average with the guys I shoot with.

After some health issues I am going to try and work on a lot more practice and cut my registered to about 1/2.

Take what you can from the sport. Some guys use it as only practice for hunting and I respect and usually envy all the hunting they do.

1 hour ago, KerryLuft said:

John, he said directly that he shoots whatever he gets his hands on.  That's what he put his hands on that day.  I went back and looked at my shooting journal and confirmed it, and that was written within hours after shooting, so it's not a faulty memory.

I know from personal experience that I can shoot anything from 1150 to 1290 with no perceptible difference in leads or performance on clays at any reasonable range.  I PREFER something on the upper end.  During my last lesson, all that was available was 1170 fps of 1 ounce 8s.  Broke everything I shot at if I did my part.

I’m not doubting you, just after listening to him I didn’t think he would have picked that shell. I also like a speedier shell mostly in 8s. 

7 hours ago, 25/06 said:

The most I have shot in a year was 10,400 registered but my check book can not stand that much fun year in and out. I get chastised for only shooting 5,000- 7,000 a year. This

is pretty average with the guys I shoot with.

I forget what my high was but I rarely shoot more than 1,000 registered a year ...  all FITASC.  Saves money, kinda sorta, and I enjoy the game more than the repetitive pairs of Sporting.