REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
caleb

On X Map Chip/App

caleb

Has anyone here tried the On X maps?  https://www.onxmaps.com

They claim to integrate plat-based private owner information, as well as public land boundaries.  Seems great if it's up-to-date and accurate.

Kansas Bound

Exactly right. Some states and counties are more electronic than others.

UplandHntr

Yes Ive had the chip in my Garmin gps for a few years. Its pretty slick and I probably only use it at 10% of its capabilities. I bought it for out west. Like anything, the more you use it the easier it becomes. I isually pick up my gps a week before a trip and then I get frustrated. 

Jim Vander

I can speak for  ND  SD MT and found them amazing

WPG Gizmo

I just looked at it for the areas around me that I hunt and I see this message 

Unit M regulates hunting opportunities for wildlife in New Hampshire and covers 723 square miles. The greater region is best serviced by Manchester, Pelham, and Nashua. This area does not have land available to the public. The elevation of the region ranges from a low of 100 feet to a high of 1,300 feet above sea level.

In NH all areas unless posted by the land owner are public you must abide by F&G regulations concerning shooting with in a certain range of a occupied dwelling but there is plenty of public land

Same as where I hunt in VT it says the same thing but the area is in the NEK and there are plenty of places to hunt 

Unit E2 regulates hunting opportunities for wildlife in Vermont and covers 344 square miles. The greater region is best serviced by Lunenburg. This area does not have land available to the public. The elevation of the region ranges from a low of 900 feet to a high of 3,400 feet above sea level.

2 Ugly Dogs

I use it for WI, Michigan, and DoDak, both the chip and the app, two thumbs up from me. 

caleb

Thanks for the reviews.

Are you all using the chip or the app?  

dogrunner

Yes in my Alpha, they update the maps but sometimes I think you have to pay to update. 

Becassier

Caleb, I use both the chips (LA, MT, OK, TX)  and the app.  I put the chip, for whatever state I'm hunting, in my Alpha.  With a chip, I have the information on my devise regardless of whether or not I have cell coverage. The app is a subscription service and is on my laptop computer, iPhone and iPad.  If you have an active subscription you can update your chip very easily by either connecting your GPS to a computer or inserting the chip (small sd card - comes with adapter) into the devise.  The layers of information also include things like timber cuts and historic wildfires.  I am a huge fan of onXmaps and have been extremely pleased with their customer service over the years.    

airmedic1

I have the app on my iPhone and iPad and I can vouch that it is accurate in Nebraska.  I don't know how often they update but we bought some property in November and it was shown as being in our name by February. I am rarely out of cell phone coverage so I didn't buy the chip since I have never used it out in the field.  It came in handy last fall when a guy pulled up as I was getting out to hunt and told me that he owned the ground and I would be trespassing.  I politely disagreed and asked his name and when he bought the property.  When I told him I new the owner and showed him on my iPad he drove off while cussing at me.

AM

E.Young

A buddy of mine swears by it, from WI to TX and has been pushing it hard on me for the last year or so, but I have not yet taken the plunge for VA/MD/WV. If anyone has any input those those three states in particular, I would be very interested to hear it. 

blanked

What is the value in it for states with no public land hunting like texas