REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
martyg

Making 4Runner More Off Road Comfortable

River19
2 hours ago, bobman said:

The engineers at the factory do it right lifting a nice vehicle is always a mistake

Explain?  I think there are degrees to which that statement is spot on and not so much......

there is nothing wrong with mild lifts on any of the Toyota platforms.  Mild meaning, within factory lift specs of ~2-3".  Once you start changing out lower and upper control arms, shaft angles etc. you are getting into completely different handling dynamics.  The Prado/120 Platform of the  FJ. 4runner, & GX, along with the LC/LX platforms are highly receptive to proper modifications, in fact TRD will provide you plenty of guidance on specs as they worked with me on my ICON component selection.

Throwing 37" swampers on a rig and jacking it up 6+" without thinking through things is where I think you are spot on.  

Bobman if I recall you are a Ford Van guy right?  The Quigley conversions etc. of those are very well engineered and stable considering.....

BlacknTan
2 hours ago, bobman said:

The engineers at the factory do it right lifting a nice vehicle is always a mistake

I agree with this to a point. The TRD PRO 4Runner is a lifted vehicle under the auspices of Toyota USA. Toyota parts are available to do it all.

The Chevrolet ZR2 was a factory lifted vehicle, and there are many more in today's market.

So, IMHO, lifting is OK within strict limits.

Clueless1

I think I'd buy a new seat. 

Comfort increase, no springs in the a$$, and still have a reliable platform that you don't care about a ding. 

bobman

Toyota TRD can do a lot of things to enhance performance and virtually all of them reduce the lifespan of components 

its aimed at enthusiasts who are willing to give up ride comfort and suffer more wear and tear .... everything in engineering is a trade off

lifting a vehicle especially if you install heavier tires will put additional wear and tear on suspension, brake and driveline components. It also raises the center of gravity and lengthens stopping distance which both detract from optimum safety.

Ive never seen it make any vehicle ride more comfortably either

Im not saying don’t do it that’s  none of my business just go into it with realistic expectations 

I wouldn’t do it to a brand new vehicle,...the guy that takes the beautiful photos of his two Shorthairs in Utah has the best Idea IMO ...drive a pickup with a atv in the bed and when the going gets tough park the truck and jump on the atv

salmontogue

In northern Maine, heavily modified pickups get the attention of the State Police, Sheriffs, Warden Service, Federal Indian Police, US Border Patrol, DEA and the locals.  The assumption is that a modified vehicle is often used for nefarious purposes of all descriptions.  That may be an unfair assumption but it is a fact that you can see those vehicles at the side of the road with plenty of LEO attention.  In most cases, the Wardens Service will be in attendance because they are allowed to search without a warrant.  The young folks are hassled constantly whether deserved or not.  Oldsters are held with even higher suspicion.  I had a loaner from the local (45 miles distant) car mechanic.  It was a very much modified Ram and was an attention getter.  In three days I was stopped more often than all the rest of my combined years of driving.

I am not suggesting this is fair, I am suggesting it is business as usual.

Perk

john mcg

Any vehicle commonly thought of as being off road capable is plenty capable stock for 99% of what 99% would do.

Far more important than modifications is knowing how to drive off road...experience.

The more modified, the more you will break things because 1. You will attempt stuff 2. Added stresses as mentioned.

When choosing a vehicle what I haven’t seen mentioned, maybe cause I missed it....is approach and departure angles.

Buying a new expensive shiny vehicle and thinking in terms of taking it where any but very minor mods are thought to be required is...well...gonna likely make for a very quickly depreciated shiny new vehicle.

Power...mostly gonna get a novice wheeler in trouble. Think little ol 4 cylinder under powered Cruisers or the like....back to knowing how.

Lifted vehicles with suspension capable of major articulation get broke...it’s the nature of the beast. If it gets used, it will break.

A few thoughts.....go easy, go slow and think about tire placement and that approach and departure thing along with the lines afforded between tire bottoms.