REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
MAArcher

Help with bark collars

aje4

I have several Dogtra bark collars that have been great for years...

topdog1961
On January 10, 2019 at 8:13 AM, Coalman said:

I ordered this bark collar and it's what you would expect for the price. I've been working with E collars for 16 years in my underground fence business, so I know a little about them. It's crudely built, the probes are so sharp edged that many dogs will have irritation problems, and every time my beagle barks my GSP gets punished for it. And that's with the sensitivity turned down. Even the most basic barks collars require both sound and vibration to activate. 

MAArcher
22 minutes ago, topdog1961 said:

I ordered this bark collar and it's what you would expect for the price. I've been working with E collars for 16 years in my underground fence business, so I know a little about them. It's crudely built, the probes are so sharp edged that many dogs will have irritation problems, and every time my beagle barks my GSP gets punished for it. And that's with the sensitivity turned down. Even the most basic barks collars require both sound and vibration to activate. 

Do  you have a recommendation for one?  I still haven't pulled the trigger on one, hoping I wouldn't need it, but I've left my pup with a trainer for a week, with seven other dogs, and I expect I'll find he's learned to bark even more when I get him back and I'll have to use a bark collar at some point.  

topdog1961
45 minutes ago, MAArcher said:

Do  you have a recommendation for one?  I still haven't pulled the trigger on one, hoping I wouldn't need it, but I've left my pup with a trainer for a week, with seven other dogs, and I expect I'll find he's learned to bark even more when I get him back and I'll have to use a bark collar at some point.  

I haven't used one yet that I like, so I can tell you what not to buy. In addition to the above, don't get the Petsafe basic bark collar. It actually works well but the batteries don't last long and cost about $6 each. The older generation (still sold) Petsafe rechargeable collar is bulky, the settings seem to change arbitrarily, and the charge doesn't last very long. 

I see that Sportdog has a newer rechargeable bark collar called the SBC-R. RSC is the parent company to both Petsafe and Sportdog, so this is the next generation of the rechargeable bark collar I have. The newest generation of Sportdog E-trainers are worlds apart better than the previous. They charge fast and last a long time. Based upon that I just ordered a SBC-R. They are $99 on Amazon and have over 2,500 reviews averaging 4 stars. But I can get them through my business for less at dealer cost. I sure wish I had kept the packaging for the POS I ordered off Amazon, it would be going back. 

Coalman

I also bought this one from Gun Dog Supply. Both work OK but like topdog says when another dog barks the wearer gets juiced.

https://www.gundogsupply.com/garmin-bark-limiter-deluxe-rechargable.html

Good thing is it didn't take long for Gracie to go from barking in the kennel to quiet whimpers. I don't even have to turn them on. She knows when it is on her neck and what it can do.

I like the cheap one because it beeps before it zaps. It has a beep only setting for when the dog learns. It knows what comes next.

If your dog is a barker MA..time to pull the trigger.