REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
DB9555

Garmin alpha v. astro-. Which one would you get

hexfly

The deal breaker for me, it appears that Alpha allows you to set a perimeter. When my setters break 100 yds from me, I get a notification and can page them back. I was told Astro didn't do that, and if you're running quiet, I need help. So I run a alpha quiet, and an add on point beeper tO help me find the dogs location. As I get better with the device, I'll dump the beeper.

Curt

I just went through this decision about three weeks ago.  Stood in LCS store going back and forth between the Astro 430 and the Alpha 100, trying to decide which would best suit my needs.  In the end I bought the Astro 430 for a couple reasons.  First, the 430 felt comfortable to me because I had about six years experience using the Astro220 and although the 430 does much more than the 220 the look and feel are about the same.  Also I didn't care for the touch screen capability of the Alpha (personal choice), hell I'm still using a flip phone, so I'm not used to flipping thru screens and didn't like that aspect of the Alpha.  Also I have two sets of Dogtra 2502 collars so I didn't really need another correction collar and rarely use them any more.

zhtrainer

Alpha for me. Don't like messing with two collars when running dogs. Like the touch screen and the features of the Alpha seem user friendly.