REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
bullseyebill

First time truck owner

bullseyebill

I'm getting ready to purchase my first truck.  Have had Subaru's, Lexus SUV, and an Audi AllRoad.  It looks like its going to be a 2018 Colorado LT or remote possibility of a 2018 GMC Canyon SRT. Requirement is Extended Cab, Short bed, Tow/Haul mode and Trailer Package.  THe ultimate purpose is the ability to pull a small trailer.  Tow capability of either is about 7000 lbs.  The reason for the mid-size truck is it has to fit in the garage.

I'm new to trucks so looking for things I should know or gotcha's.  Anybody out there with the models I'm looking at?

Thanks

Cindy

Locher

if you're serious about towing, open the drivers door of the truck and look at the sticker that says maximum allowable payload.  That max payload is the total of all weight in your truck that didn't come out of the factory.  People, dogs, topper, etc.  Also included in that payload is tongue weight of the trailer.  Tongue weight is usually 10-12% of gross weight of trailer.  Most people will max out on payload way before you max out on tow capacity.  You have to look at both.  They are both legal limits.

NVChukarChaser

Define a small trailer. Being under gunned when pulling a trailer is no fun and the payload does become a factor faster than one thinks. 

Snipeaholic

Don't know if the tow package includes a trailer brake actuator. Even a "small trailer" can push you along depending on weight. My line is my truck will pull most anything, I just worry if it will stop it safely.

pa'tridge hunters

Once you own a pick-up truck you'll be hooked for life. You'll wonder how you've managed all these years without one. Enjoy!

bobman

Give up bed length and get the crew cab version you will hate an extended cab after a while

henryrski

What Bobman said.

Clueless1
13 hours ago, bobman said:

Give up bed length and get the crew cab version you will hate an extended cab after a while

I'm going the opposite way.  Soon as my kids are gone I'm losing the crew and extended.  One hunting buddy allowed.  That's it. 

gaberdeen

Crew cab all the way.

Samuel Hoggson
36 minutes ago, Clueless1 said:

I'm going the opposite way.  Soon as my kids are gone I'm losing the crew and extended.  One hunting buddy allowed.  That's it. 

regcab8foot.thumb.JPG.51812c5a9c2d9ec4458e347963afc6a1.JPG

She said "get the truck you want, honey".      

Empty nest is nice.......well, mostly. 

bullseyebill

I DID IT!!!   Bought my first truck.  2018 Colorado LT.  4WD, Crew Cab, Short bed, Trailering package, tow/haul mode, remote start, heated seats.  The hardest feature to find was the heated seats.  

I'm pretty tech savy and I find the electronic features confusing.  After having a variety of SUVs, etc, a couple of items surprised me.  It doesn't have push button start and no buttons to program the garage door.

I've read the comments here and still can't decide on rubber mat or spray in liner.  I like the look of the spray in liner.  Initially, it will probably be a rubber mat.  Same dilemna on deciding whether to do tonneau cover or cap.  I think initially, it will be the tonneau cover.

You guys are a wealth of information....Thanks

topdog1961

Speaks
13 hours ago, bullseyebill said:

I DID IT!!!   Bought my first truck.  2018 Colorado LT.  4WD, Crew Cab, Short bed, Trailering package, tow/haul mode, remote start, heated seats.  The hardest feature to find was the heated seats.  

I'm pretty tech savy and I find the electronic features confusing.  After having a variety of SUVs, etc, a couple of items surprised me.  It doesn't have push button start and no buttons to program the garage door.

I've read the comments here and still can't decide on rubber mat or spray in liner.  I like the look of the spray in liner.  Initially, it will probably be a rubber mat.  Same dilemna on deciding whether to do tonneau cover or cap.  I think initially, it will be the tonneau cover.

You guys are a wealth of information....Thanks

I like the slide in liners vs spray on, I would take either one over a rubber mat for a long term solution. 

In terms of covers I have had open bed, soft tonneau, hard tonneau, and a topper. All have draw backs and advantages. Open obviously does not protect or secure your gear, but you have flexibility to put a quad or other big items in there. Soft tonneau protects but does not secure your gear, but also comes off with minimal effort if you need to haul something big. Hard tonneau protects and secures gear, but limits capacity and does not come off (without considerable effort). A topper protects and secures your gear, will haul most anything (although still not my quad) but limits rear vision and makes backing a boat up a bit of a pain. 

Right now I have a hard tonneau, 9/10 days it is in my opinion a perfect solution, on the 1/10 that it prevents me doing something that I want to do I curse that thing. When I get a new truck in a couple years it will either be a topper or soft tonneau, I go back and forth on which one and likely will not decide until the last minute. 

I think my ideal solution would be a topper but have a electric winch on my garage roof where I could pop a few bolts and hook up two straps and just lift it right off when I wanted it open, and then easily lower it back on, my current garage set up will not work for that though and I am fairly certain I am at least 5 years out from upgrading to a new house. 

dogrunner

Look at a Bed Rug. 

ARKBRDHUNTER

I am seriously thinking about one of those trucks for early 2019 purchase and would love to hear your opinion as well as likes and dislikes after using it for a little while.