Dog vest/skid plate

59 minutes ago, Millriver said:

Lion Country Supply for mine. Get about 2 seasons out of them. They're light enough that mine don't overheat.

IMG_3053.JPG

I really like those little guys. 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Salish

• john mcg

• Brad Eden

• PointingMutt

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mendota Skid Plate  

X2   i have bought others. Including Filson. Mendota covers the best. Affordable. 

I have this one. It is light and as good as any. I'm not crazy about how they can get hung up in brambles, but I like it for the open spaces out west---so far.   https://www.gundogsuppl

Posted Images

• 11 months later...

IMG_0620.JPG.1208aca23ecd5da0d4258d8f62f

From the older Post I linked earlier. A liver and white Springer can get swallowed up in snowy Maine woods. They can be 20 yards away and can hardly be kept track of. I use a vest mostly  (Cabela Rio Stop) early season when the ground cover can chew up their bellies and chest after their "fall/hunting/haircut" , and late season so I can better keep track of them.

• 1 year later...
sidelock
On 10/10/2018 at 6:47 PM, Dogmountain said:

I like the US Made Mendota Skid Plate because of build quality, protection, and ventilation.  Front Range Gun Dog has the Mendota Skid Plate in stock and has a great customer rewards program.

IMG_2988.thumb.JPG.f31c4f14bcaf5637825aa95947877b40.JPG

What size is that one the dog is wearing. My pointer looks to be about the same size, maybe just a little leaner. I don't know which size to order, the reviews are all over the place regarding siz.

• 1 month later...

The problem that my dogs have is that every vest I have tried in last few years chafes them pretty badly after an hour or two. GSHP’s.

Sylmar, skid plate, browning strap, etc.

Orvis made a dog vest in the past that protected my dogs and did not chafe them much at all. They were made of a softer material and only lasted a season or two. I didn’t mind because they didn’t hurt my dogs.

Gundogger

Sidelock, I hunt female pointers that weigh between 38 - 44 pounds and use the medium Mendota.

I've had a couple of the Cabelas', they get shredded up pretty quickly but do continue to hang together.  Started using a Mendota last year.  First time out I didn't fit it snug enough, he managed to get a leg through the neck hole and ended up chafed, not the vest's fault.

I skipped the Sylmar because the extra fabric looked like it might get hot.  I see Browning makes a good looking vest with all velcro closures, it's FS at Tractor Supply.

I like the Cuga vest, they make one that is narrower in the chest and it fits my female Drahthaars perfect. I dont run them with a vest on too often as Drahts are heat sensitive. I do wish they made one that fit our Teckel, I'd buy it in a heart beat

I usually hunt thick, tall sagebrush in central Washington with my setter. I've always though about a vest, especially for burs which proliferate. But I'm concerned about his getting tied up and stuck with the straps in heavy brush. Is this a concern with a skid plate?

Cliff

shoot-straight

I use The Mendota skid plate. Up till this year little to no chafing. This year I had To loosen it some since bodhi put on some mass, (1.75yrs now) and we'll- got some chafing today. Took it off for now.

7 hours ago, Salish said:

I usually hunt thick, tall sagebrush in central Washington with my setter. I've always though about a vest, especially for burs which proliferate. But I'm concerned about his getting tied up and stuck with the straps in heavy brush. Is this a concern with a skid plate?

Cliff

Never been a problem with my Spinone in the grouse woods.

53 minutes ago, Spin1 said:

Never been a problem with my Spinone in the grouse woods.

Thank you.

I would highly recommend getting a custom vest made by hardcore hog dogs (https://hardcorehogdogs.com/all-vest/), they specialize in cut vest for hog hunters but can make one for upland for around $120.00.  You provide the measurements and get a vest that fits really well for you dog. I have been very happy with mine, made with kevlar and heavy duty straps and its on its third season with zero issues. 

Vest 1.jpeg

vest 3.JPG