Dog vest/skid plate

On 10/12/2021 at 1:14 PM, Salish said:

I usually hunt thick, tall sagebrush in central Washington with my setter. I've always though about a vest, especially for burs which proliferate. But I'm concerned about his getting tied up and stuck with the straps in heavy brush. Is this a concern with a skid plate?

Cliff

We hunt the nastiest thorny covers of Va and have never had that problem with the Sylmar vest.  It certainly helps reduce burrs and beggar lice in a big way.  I don't use it on warm days, but late season most of our hunts are in sub freezing temps.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Salish

• john mcg

• Brad Eden

• PointingMutt

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mendota Skid Plate  

X2   i have bought others. Including Filson. Mendota covers the best. Affordable. 

I have this one. It is light and as good as any. I'm not crazy about how they can get hung up in brambles, but I like it for the open spaces out west---so far.   https://www.gundogsuppl

Posted Images

I have had Mendota vests for a while and they have been okay. Last season I picked up some Cuga vests on a whim and they've been way tougher and my dogs are more protected, but they definitely run warmer. 

I ordered the Sylmar vest from Gun Dog.  According to their sizing chart my Draht was a large.  Just got it yesterday, fit my dog way too big in the front no matter how I adjusted it.  I know a medium would be too small.  Had a Mendota skid plate for him when he was younger and lighter but he outgrew it.  Didn't go back to that one because even though it fit pretty well it rubbed him raw.  He's a 33" behind the legs and 76 #'s.  Looked at some of the others mentioned here but don't know if they'd be any different fit wise.  

Been using Tough Foot spray for his feet.  Wonder if that would work under and on top of the front legs where either the vests or the cover rubs him so bad?

On 10/14/2021 at 3:09 AM, tut said:

We hunt the nastiest thorny covers of Va and have never had that problem with the Sylmar vest.  It certainly helps reduce burrs and beggar lice in a big way.  I don't use it on warm days, but late season most of our hunts are in sub freezing temps.

Thank you.

PointingMutt

Updating my earlier post. I really like the Cuga fit and protection, but mine just started tearing apart along the entire side of the velcro seam. I hunt a fair amount, but not enough for this to happen after a few years. Just talked with the owner and there's a 1 year warranty so I'm beyond that. 

A friend had his lab die in his arms when his unprotected chest was pierced by a roller cut sapling on a hunting preserve.  I use the Bay Vest made by the below company.   Kevlar and padded chest. Feral hogs can be a problem where I hunt woodcock and these vests are tops.  I shredded an LCS in one season.

https://hardcorehogdogs.com/all-vest/  Brass buckles and tough as an old boot.  $99.

After about 5 seasons on one vest, the piping started to deteriorate around the leg holes and above the chest covering.  The company will rebuilt the vest for $20 which covered shipping and stitch work.  Gil

IMG_20190910_190059.jpg

IMG_20191212_145204.jpg