REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
blanked

Toyota Rav AWD such poor ratings

blanked

Doing my research for SUV AWD i am dumbfounded Rav 4 never gets recommended even in top 10.   Any input

rideold

My mechanic (only works on Toyotas) told me that the first generation was great and anything made after 2016 (I think that's the current generation) area great.  The middle years "aren't put together that well".  I like them personally.  We test drove a few a year and a half ago when my wife was replacing her car.  We decided against them because the newer ones our mechanic recommended were out of our price range.

Ruffs.N.Brooks

We just purchased a 2018 XLE AWD for my wife and we both love it.  I have a 2017 Tacoma and enjoy driving the little RAV around from time to time. Excellent in the snow. 

Flush
5 hours ago, blanked said:

Doing my research for SUV AWD i am dumbfounded Rav 4 never gets recommended even in top 10.   Any input

I'm not sure where you are looking, but it's the number one selling SUV in the country. 

In fact, it's the number one selling non-truck vehicle, it out sells all other cars and SUVs.

So "expert" recommended or not, consumers sure seem to like it

PaFlyfisher

Current model is the dinosaur of all the compact SUVs. Competitors have all been redesigned more recently and as such have improvements, namely in fuel economy, where the RAV4 lags behind. For members of this board, it also has significantly lower ground clearance than competitors including the Forester, CRV and CX-5.

Flush

This is why I kinda like Toyota, they are constantly told why they have the inferior product, typically outdated, boring, behind the times etc.....

Meanwhile they just plug along and outsell all the "better" products.  The current situation with the RAV4 was the same story with the Camry for many years.

Supposedly no one liked them yet at the same time they sold zillions of them.

Ruffs.N.Brooks

Actually took ours grouse hunting last weekend.  Was pleasantly surprised how it handled the trails.  Dog kennel in the back with everything I needed and got 29.7MPG on the highways there.  Cant complain. 2019 is a total redesign, the adventure grade looks great. 

salmontogue
1 hour ago, Bede said:

Current model is the dinosaur of all the compact SUVs. Competitors have all been redesigned more recently and as such have improvements, namely in fuel economy, where the RAV4 lags behind. For members of this board, it also has significantly lower ground clearance than competitors including the Forester, CRV and CX-5.

Three RAV4 in the extended family.  All are reliable but none impress with fuel economy.

Perk

Brad Eden

My wife has gone through a few AWD SUV's. Honda CRV, Toyota RAV4, Nissan Pathfinder and currently tools around in a Nissan Rogue. Pretty much all apples to apples except for the larger Pathfinder. All very reliable, all good in northeast weather conditions. Nothing wrong with the RAV4 , it served her well but she never loved it. Her favorite is this Rogue and she is looking to trade it in for another seeing as I t is getting up there in mileage, despite my pleading with her to look at a Subaru Forester. 

john mcg

Yup---Toni has had a Pathfinder, Xterra and now on her second Outback Wagon. We both like the Subaru.

I'm not sure why the Forester over the Outback. It has puzzled me these years.

PaFlyfisher
5 hours ago, salmontogue said:

Three RAV4 in the extended family.  All are reliable but none impress with fuel economy.

Perk

I test drove everything in this class because I am cheap, going to drive this car for 15+ years, and wanted to maximize value. There was nothing wrong with the Rav4, and it should be very reliable. However, driving all the examples in close succession it is clearly showing its age in many ways. Also, to pay the same upfront cost as the competition, for less standard features and significantly worse economy made zero sense. The Subaru was the best value and is probably most capable off road, and is tied for the best MPG with the new CRV. The MazdaCX5 was the best driving experience of the bunch, and it wasn't close. The Mazda is a totally different animal. The CRV is in between the Subaru and Mazda in this regard. The Subaru forester and Honda CRV lead the way in cargo space and legroom, the Rav4 falls behind in cargo space. I went with the Forester and love it. The new model is coming out soon and should lead the pack. 

I have spreadsheets on all this if anyone is shopping....

blanked

i would really really like to know how the AWD part of  rav 4 stacks up to Subaru AWD under snow and ice conditions.  here is a mud test .  can the RAV do this

Ruffs.N.Brooks
5 hours ago, blanked said:

i would really really like to know how the AWD part of  rav 4 stacks up to Subaru AWD under snow and ice conditions.  here is a mud test .  can the RAV do this

Snorkel, lift kit, different wheels, mud tires.  Not exactly a stock Subaru you're dealing with there. 

john mcg

The guy in the Suburu knows how to drive and rode the edges of the ruts.

salmontogue
18 hours ago, Bede said:

I test drove everything in this class because I am cheap, going to drive this car for 15+ years, and wanted to maximize value. There was nothing wrong with the Rav4, and it should be very reliable. However, driving all the examples in close succession it is clearly showing its age in many ways. Also, to pay the same upfront cost as the competition, for less standard features and significantly worse economy made zero sense. The Subaru was the best value and is probably most capable off road, and is tied for the best MPG with the new CRV. The MazdaCX5 was the best driving experience of the bunch, and it wasn't close. The Mazda is a totally different animal. The CRV is in between the Subaru and Mazda in this regard. The Subaru forester and Honda CRV lead the way in cargo space and legroom, the Rav4 falls behind in cargo space. I went with the Forester and love it. The new model is coming out soon and should lead the pack. 

I have spreadsheets on all this if anyone is shopping....

Several hunting fishing friends and their wives have owned a succession of Subarus, primarily Foresters and Outbacks, both of which have identical ground clearance.  Our SUVs have always been larger....Explorer, Navigator and Expedition.  Having said that, I am favorably impressed to the point that I might purchase one as a spare car (we typically have three in a two driver family as service is distant at 100 miles plus.

Past complaints with Subarus included head gaskets, cooling hot spots, timing belt breakage and excessive oil consumption.  Where do the current models stand with these previous problems???????

Perk