REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Jmrozinski

Getting cold...favorite bourbon?

Mike Connally
2 hours ago, rideold said:

You had a list in the last year or so that I pulled from that included Blandton's and Eagle Rare along with:
Bowman Brothers Small Batch
Buffalo Trace
Knob Hill Small Batch
Old Forester 1920 (a true sleeper)

Are the others still on your favorites list?  I've always been more of a wine drinker with the occasional Irish Whiskey so I took your "testing" as a starting point to try some bourbons.

Yep. I like all of those. But it’s becoming a problem to keep a bottle (or several) of everything I like. The good bourbons seem to be all about $50-$60 a bottle. I’m not paying much more than that. At one point I had 23 different bourbons. That just became more expensive and complicated than I like. 

I tried Irish whiskey. It was just too bland after bourbon. 

Bullwinkle

Makers Mark for me.. 

Bookers for special occasions.

Flairball
17 hours ago, Mike Connally said:

Yeah. A few years ago it was all about Scotch. Good sense has finally arrived and folks are realizing that bourbon has the most flavor of all the whisky. 

Like they say; there is no accounting for taste, or lack thereof. 

I’m a scotch guy, but I agree that Four Roses is pretty damned good. 

And a post hunt Old Fashioned is just the ticket. 

jeff88
On 10/22/2018 at 9:11 PM, kgb said:

Evan Williams Single Barrel goes well for me, a Four Roses small batch I tried at a friend's house was distinctive (good). 

My next bourbon buy is going to be Four Roses this week.  Just killed off a Woodbridge single barrel, very nice as well.  

You all don't mix the good stuff, do you?  For that, I go with a Bulliet Bourbon - that is good enough for me for mixed drinks.

WI Outdoor Nut
14 hours ago, sneem said:

I like Bulliet. Although I did get some Weller's and it was very good.

slightly off topic but I have also developed a taste for Dickel Rye.

I will try anything, but always have bulliet in my cabinet.  Bulliet is for when I want a really good old fashion, or good with a couple of cubes as well.  When I first started drinking it, it was only $19 a bottle.  It has now gone up and around $25.  But still a good value. 

jeff88
14 hours ago, Mike Connally said:

I tried Irish whiskey. It was just too bland after bourbon. 

Top of the mornin' to ya, may I suggest a single-barrel Redbreast then?  

Mike Connally
3 hours ago, jeff88 said:

Top of the mornin' to ya, may I suggest a single-barrel Redbreast then?  

Sure. If it’s that much better than Jameson’s and Tullamore Dew I’ll give it a shot. I’ll let you know what I think. 

Craig Doherty

Bourbon by price point:

reasonable -- Jefferson's Very Small Batch

mid-price -- Mitcher's, Blade and Bow, Wathan's, Elmer T Lee. 

pricey -- Blanton's, Willett,

I could go on -- winters in Kentucky have certain side benefits.

As to the discussion of Irish whisky -- Redbreast is a 12 year old single pot still brand that is much more like a highland Scotch then the lower priced Irish whiskies.

Ray Gubernat

I've tried a bunch of different bourbons, from the standard fare to the expensive and never really got to like any of them.  They all had a nasty bite to them...even the expensive ones.  Don't really like most of the high end, peaty scotches either.  Just not my taste I guess.

I am a whole lot more of a beer drinker.  Spaten,  St. Pauli Girl or, if it is on tap... Yuengling works for me.   If I am not far from where I have to sleep, a scooter of VO or CC in that glass of Yuengling  smooths it right on out, but it will kick your butt.

If I'm going to sip something, it is either going to be a Remy Martin XO(which I will inhale until it evaporates) or, if I'm in the mood...a Dogfish 120 IPA.   A Grand Marnier centennial blend is kinda pricey but goes down soooo nice.

RayG

jpari

For those of you who care, Buffalo Trace, Four Roses and Wild Turkey are buying up all of the non-GMO corn that they can get their hands on for their distilling.  Not that these companies are into the non-GMO trend but rather that they do not want to chance GMO corn negatively affecting the taste of their Bourbon years down the road after the aging process is completed.

Mike Connally
2 hours ago, Mike Connally said:

Sure. If it’s that much better than Jameson’s and Tullamore Dew I’ll give it a shot. I’ll let you know what I think. 

Wow. 70 bucks here.  I’ll need to find someone with a bottle. I’m Irish but not that Irish. 

Where do you live Jeff88?

ruff hunter

I like knob creek small batch 100 proof..... not that that I’m a big drinker but when Gus and I have a good day and connect with a point and kill then when I get back to the truck I have a drink and toast whatever I can think of ....😉

kgb
3 hours ago, Mike Connally said:

Wow. 70 bucks here.  I’ll need to find someone with a bottle. I’m Irish but not that Irish. 

Where do you live Jeff88?

Price does have its say in this.  The priciest bottle of Whisky I've bought to date sits in the basement awaiting....something.  I think it cost $74 at a discount from a tasting event.  I do hope it's the same as what I remember tasting, and that my tasting apparatus hasn't changed too much by the time I get to it.   At one point I added up the cost of the unopened bottles and it was a bit over $500. Not much to some, but I thought of it as a potential new (to me) gun that wasn't going to happen.  Not that I was in need of one, but still.  

This stuff, like all alcohol, is a solvent.  We should be careful how we go about adding it to ourselves, and might as well enjoy it for more than the buzz it produces--the cheapest vodkas can do that.  So can beer, for those able to tolerate the taste!

Mike Connally
10 minutes ago, kgb said:

Price does have its say in this.  The priciest bottle of Whisky I've bought to date sits in the basement awaiting....something.  I think it cost $74 at a discount from a tasting event.  I do hope it's the same as what I remember tasting, and that my tasting apparatus hasn't changed too much by the time I get to it.   At one point I added up the cost of the unopened bottles and it was a bit over $500. Not much to some, but I thought of it as a potential new (to me) gun that wasn't going to happen.  Not that I was in need of one, but still.  

This stuff, like all alcohol, is a solvent.  We should be careful how we go about adding it to ourselves, and might as well enjoy it for more than the buzz it produces--the cheapest vodkas can do that.  So can beer, for those able to tolerate the taste!

I’ve spent 70 some bucks on bourbon before. But I knew I liked that bourbon. Spending that much just to try something new probably isn’t going to happen. 

cjc5f9

Certainly not the most experienced here but for a standby bourbon Stumpy's Old Monroe, cask strength preferably, Blanton's when I've had a chance. Scotch, Talisker 10 I really like, best I ever had probably Talisker 25 (I didn't purchase that). For Irish probably had the most of Jameson but, Redbreast is far and away the best I've had IMO.