REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Jmrozinski

Getting cold...favorite bourbon?

Mike Connally
2 hours ago, Craig Doherty said:

I haul it back from Kentucky each spring by the case for a certain Evil Clowne who used to be a nuisance here on UJ.

383252677_gq7ccHtRw66AKNXrI45mA.thumb.jpg.5672bc5eabbf1152976825f2ec03f43f.jpg

I see that all the time here. Haven’t tried it yet. 

What do you think of it? 

Craig Doherty
5 hours ago, Mike Connally said:

I see that all the time here. Haven’t tried it yet. 

What do you think of it? 

One of my regulars -- very drinkable with just an ice cube or even neat.

Cooter Brown
11 hours ago, Craig Doherty said:

I haul it back from Kentucky each spring by the case for a certain Evil Clowne who used to be a nuisance here on UJ.

383252677_gq7ccHtRw66AKNXrI45mA.thumb.jpg.5672bc5eabbf1152976825f2ec03f43f.jpg

When he has a lucid moment tell him old Coot says howdy.

max2

I myself have never indulged in anything above beer & wine. This thread kind of intrigued me in that last month I was up fishing at a friends place and when the bottle came out I was asked if I wanted a shot/glass and my response was the same - no thanks . Only because I could never get a taste for any of it.  The name on the bottle was Clyde Mays. How does this product compare ? Any good ? 

chilly460

I have some Clyde Mays, not in the same league as something like a Blantons or Woodford Double Oaked.  It’s sort of thin tasting as I recall, not as full flavored.  What I normally suggest if folks want to try bourbon, go for a Blantons as it’s about as smooth as I’ve tried, easy to try for folks that aren’t accustomed to the burn of spirits.  The higher end booze, in many cases, is easier on the palate, and the longer aging and quality barrels that give them flavor missing in cheaper booze.  

birdhuntervet
On 9/22/2019 at 8:08 PM, Mike Connally said:

I had not heard of them. I could make a road trip. Do they make any bourbon? 

Mike, they only make a malted barley product. The barley is American two row from Mn and N Dakota, (originally it was Scottish 2 row). It is malted in Minnesota I think. They apparently have, casked, the largest amount of single malt whiskey in the US - all aging at present. So it’s not bourbon but it’s not scotch either. What it is is a smooth, full bodied, nicely balanced whiskey that in my opinion is best sipped neat. There were, when I was taken on a tour by my daughter, four different varieties depending on the barrel. Interesting - the angels share is pretty high due to the heat in Virginia. Scotch in Scotland looses like 4% I think. In Virginia the loss is like 10%. I suspect Tennessee and Kentucky are similar with whiskey casked there. The whiskey from this outfit is, to me, as pleasant to sip as Blanton’s, Buffalo Trace, Booker’s to say a few. You should visit. I think there are still some grouse to fly in the national forest up the Tye River a few miles south off rt 29. 

Spiller
On 12/4/2018 at 11:26 AM, Mike Connally said:

I tried something new last night that I saw on a bourbon forum.  I’ve got an “Infinity” bottle started. You take the last one or two pours from each bottle and mix them in a container. I used only high end, favorite bourbons. All different proofs, ranging from 134 to 86. In some cases I had to think long and hard before I mixed that last dram. 

I was prepared to be disappointed. I was pleasantly surprised. 

6CA800F9-629A-4F4E-BDAB-1E847D9F17E5.jpeg

In a previous life, I used to deliver yachts and most folks in anchorages had a "sundowner bottle" onboard, for evening dinghy visits and sundry toasts... I have one that is wrapped in leather with fancy marlinspike rope work.  What they contained was this exactly, but made with various and sundry rums...never heard it called an infinity bottle ut I like the idea

I am not averse to trying one of my own bourbon blends....

I have tried it with tequila too....

Mike Connally
1 hour ago, birdhuntervet said:

Mike, they only make a malted barley product. The barley is American two row from Mn and N Dakota, (originally it was Scottish 2 row). It is malted in Minnesota I think. They apparently have, casked, the largest amount of single malt whiskey in the US - all aging at present. So it’s not bourbon but it’s not scotch either. What it is is a smooth, full bodied, nicely balanced whiskey that in my opinion is best sipped neat. There were, when I was taken on a tour by my daughter, four different varieties depending on the barrel. Interesting - the angels share is pretty high due to the heat in Virginia. Scotch in Scotland looses like 4% I think. In Virginia the loss is like 10%. I suspect Tennessee and Kentucky are similar with whiskey casked there. The whiskey from this outfit is, to me, as pleasant to sip as Blanton’s, Buffalo Trace, Booker’s to say a few. You should visit. I think there are still some grouse to fly in the national forest up the Tye River a few miles south off rt 29. 

I’ll meet you there in November. 

SODAKer

Woodford Reserve Double Oaked

birdhuntervet
10 hours ago, Mike Connally said:

I’ll meet you there in November. 

👍👍

jrg

Weller Special Reserve for the special nights. Old Forester 100 proof for the normal nights. 

bigjohnsd

Not Bourbon - but.........Damn fine whiskey!

irish.thumb.jpg.b9bebbf9cea1a00db0170d84bb4facb1.jpg

Wet Dog

Just bought a bottle of Longbranch from Wild Turkey.  Very smooth and tasty.