REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Jmrozinski

Getting cold...favorite bourbon?

Slowpokebill

I have cheap tastes when it comes to Bourbon. I still think the Evan Williams Black Label drinks well out of its price range.

I took this photo last June for National Bourbon day

169824289.44xztMPp.lusi_whiskey.jpg

salmontogue

I think it drinks out well in any price range.  I attended a blind tasting some years back and Evan William was consistently in the top five with almost every taster.  I believe it outclasses many that are more pricey.  It is number three on my preferred list.  

Mike Connally
10 minutes ago, Slowpokebill said:

I have cheap tastes when it comes to Bourbon. I still think the Evan Williams Black Label drinks well out of its price range.

I like their 100 proof. A good every day bourbon. 

Mike Connally

I almost never mix my bourbon, but eggnog is in the stores now. 

Eggnog and Buffalo Trace. 

B7A3C2E3-F338-41F2-BC11-0E7654E3B5D6.jpeg

salmontogue

Fresh Lemonade and Bourbon.  We call it Granny's Lemonade, my mother liked it.  Simply Lemonade does well and the bottles are great water carriers for outdoor expeditions….they fit perfectly into USPS mail tubs.

salmontogue
2 hours ago, Slowpokebill said:

I wouldn't say cheap but I would say smart.

Dave in Maine

Ezra Brooks.  90 proof and under $15 the fifth.

I drink it either neat or cut it with a couple drops of some homemade brew the French cookbook called "44".  You'll see why the name.

To make "44", take a large glass jar and load it with:

1 bright, scrubbed orange, having punctured the skin with a knife point 44 times

1 ripe, peeled banana, poked gently with a knife blade 44 times (if you're feeling ambitious)

1 vanilla bean, punctured with a knife point 44 times

44 dark-roasted coffee beans

1 1/3 cups (44 lumps) of sugar

1liter (or so) plain vodka.

Close jar and put in the ever-popular cool dark place for 44 days, sloshing a bit each day of the first week or so, until the sugar is dissolved.

At the end, toss the orange, banana, and most or all of the coffee beans.  Decant into an old whiskey bottle or two, sliding the vanilla bean into the bottle.

Comes out somewhere on the spectrum between Cointreau and Grand Marnier, the flavor rounded off by the banana and especially the vanilla bean.  Good to sip a little straight, too.  Or to use in baking where one of those expensive liqueurs is called for.  Or even a splash on vanilla ice cream.

Chukarman

I like and drink George DIckel #12 - sourmash, not Bourbon. I like Knob Creek aslo.

traveller2926

Jefferson Reserve Very Small Batch softened with some  Blienhiem “Hot” Ginger Ale.

Enjoying at this very moment surrounded by two Classic Setters...  

Life is good!

This mixture is also fitting on a Southeastern Tailwater at 2200 cfs casting articulated streamers on a 7#... which I am planning for this coming weekend.

Life is very good!!

Oh, accompanied with an AVO cigar.

Life is very, very good!!!

1971snipe
12 minutes ago, traveller2926 said:

Jefferson Reserve Very Small Batch softened with some  Blienhiem “Hot” Ginger Ale.

Enjoying at this very moment surrounded by two Classic Setters...  

Life is good!

This mixture is also fitting on a Southeastern Tailwater at 2200 cfs casting articulated streamers on a 7#... which I am planning for this coming weekend.

Life is very good!!

Oh, accompanied with an AVO.

Life is very, very good!!!

If it were spring I'd guess you're going after shad, but what do I know.  I searched AVO via Google , but I'm still guessing it's a beautiful woman, not an avocado.  

traveller2926

AVO.... cigar.  Tailwater...  Brown Trout.

1971snipe
10 hours ago, traveller2926 said:

AVO.... cigar.  Tailwater...  Brown Trout.

I'll have to try one of the AVO cigars.  I pictured Tailrace Canal at first glance at your post, and thought of the early spring shad runs in the SC Lowcountry. 

BTW, I used to occasionally enjoy a glass of that Blenheim ginger ale when I could find it, back in the 80s when I lived in the Charleston area.  Piggly Wiggly in Summerville stocked it but it would sell out fast.  

topdog1961

I was listening to NPR in the car the other morning, I believe it was “Wait, Wait...Don’t Tell Me”.  They do a game where they give the contestant 3-4 totally implausible sounding “news” stories and they have to pick which one is real. One that was real told of a robotic “tongue” developed for the bourbon industry that is superior to professional human tasters for quality control testing purposes. It sounds like a great job, but robots are threatening even that. 

Normally the humor on that show falls kinda flat for me, but I almost wrecked laughing when Paula Poundstone blurted out “They built a robot with a tongue.....and they’re doing THAT with it?”  

hayslope
On 9/30/2019 at 8:07 PM, traveller2926 said:

Jefferson Reserve Very Small Batch.............

I love this stuff.........however, it never gets mixed with anything except oxygen!

Usually when I'm enjoying some I'm surrounded by a classic Pointer!

kgb
2 hours ago, hayslope said:

Usually when I'm enjoying some I'm surrounded by a classic Pointer!

If it only takes one pointer to surround you, you're either a pretty small guy or you shop for pointers where Brad shops for springers.