Getting cold...favorite bourbon?

Mike Connally

With a setter you never drink alone. 

9323AE51-6B3A-48FE-8083-9D35B38B2EEA.jpeg

quailguy

Knob Creek

Makers Mark

Rebel Yell

Back in the Stone Age when I was at the University of Texas we drank Rebel Yell. Not because it was cheap, it wasn’t but because we liked it. I still do. 

DennisMcFeely
On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 2:37 PM, Mike Connally said:

Sure. If it’s that much better than Jameson’s and Tullamore Dew I’ll give it a shot. I’ll let you know what I think. 

I don't care for either of those Mike but get yourself a bottle of John Powers Gold Label for about $30 and I think you'll be pleased.

shoot-straight

Whatever is on sale- I like to try new stuff, but nothing super expensive. I am fond of several that others have said already. 

Rebel Yell

Bullit (what I have now)

Makers (if it's a payday)

Dickel- why? Because growing up I subscribed to field and stream. Read them religiously. Wish I kept Them. Anyway I always remembered the Dickel ad "Dickel's for drinking"

Beam is ok, my go-to if I am out because of cost. That said if you drink a glass of makers, then take a sip of beam, It tastes like rubbing alcohol.

gwponr
On 12/4/2018 at 8:26 AM, Mike Connally said:

I tried something new last night that I saw on a bourbon forum.  I’ve got an “Infinity” bottle started. You take the last one or two pours from each bottle and mix them in a container. I used only high end, favorite bourbons. All different proofs, ranging from 134 to 86. In some cases I had to think long and hard before I mixed that last dram. 

I was prepared to be disappointed. I was pleasantly surprised. 

6CA800F9-629A-4F4E-BDAB-1E847D9F17E5.jpeg

then I guess I should call my last batch of fig/bourbon jam "infinity jam" used the last shot of makers mark, the last shot of angels envy last shot of widow Jane and the last of the last trace of Liberty Call(a local distillery) The first batch of jam was made with some cheap bourbon and came out great, my neighbor says this infinity batch was absolutely amazing.

traveller2926

Good evening, Please reference my post from Monday 8:07p.m. Paragraph(s) 1-3.  I am doing it again, thankfully!  Please join me.

MUSTANGER7

What else but Bird Dog Whiskey, check it out comes in flavors, get in coffee while I'm following the Bird Dogs on a chilly morning here in Florida.

1971snipe

Good thing for the bourbon drinkers.  Scotch and Irish imports are getting hit with a 25% tarrif, along with imported cheeses, olives and wines.   

Mike Connally
13 minutes ago, 1971snipe said:

Good thing for the bourbon drinkers.  Scotch and Irish imports are getting hit with a 25% tarrif, along with imported cheeses, olives and wines.   

How is that good for bourbon drinkers? 

1971snipe
1 minute ago, Mike Connally said:

How is that good for bourbon drinkers? 

The tarrif shouldn't affect them/us.  But still, ... 

salmontogue
16 minutes ago, 1971snipe said:

I thought a trade deal was forthcoming with UK countries.

Chukarman
9 hours ago, 1971snipe said:

THAT is bad news.

Jalinkly

Found a liquor store with a good sale over labor day.  Figured that would be a good time to buy some to compare.  Picked up four Roses, Evan Williams, Knob Creek, Makers Mark and Woodford Reserve.  Still more testing but, for straight up, Markers Mark has been my favorite.

Do y'all find that your preference changes over ice?

kgb
16 hours ago, Jalinkly said:

Do y'all find that your preference changes over ice?

Sort of, and not like a person might think logical.  Ice will dilute the alcohol, possibly chill your tongue and alter perception of what you're tasting beyond the changes made by the water interacting with the liquor.  Canadian whiskies usually make great use of rye and can show a lot of spice, and I use a lot of finer (crushed) ice with them to chill and change the taste to where it's most appealing.  Probably because that's how I began with them.  Bourbons and ryes get bigger ice cubes and smaller pours, I don't want them diluted too far.  That's a generalization, a starting point anyhow for me.  For the mixed drinks I like rye as best of these whiskies.

I think it's Fever Tree that advertises using quality mixers because they're a greater percentage in most cocktails, and that makes sense.  I bought some Zevia Ginger Beer for Gin-Gin Mules, it lists "no sugar, no artificial sweeteners" and uses Stevia leaf extract.  I don't know what that is but it does nothing good for me.  Stoli Ginger Beer works much better.

Slowpokebill

I tried a new bourbon recently, Henry McKenna Bottle and Bonded 10 Year Old Single Barrel. Even though I generally drink Scotch Whiskies and only bourbon on occasion and mostly Evan Williams Black Label or Bottle and Bonded I'm a bit of a whisky snob and once a pretty serious collector. I've had some of the best bourbons bottle.  The MeKenna might go right near the top of my list for whiskies of any type.

This bottle drinks way out of its price range. It is complex and very well balanced. It has just enough spice from the rye in the mash bill that comes in to offset the vanilla and oak from the barrels. There are some nice tobacco, leather, burnt sugar, caramel  and dark chocolate notes in there as well. The finish is nice and dry.

If you are someone that likes American rye whiskies and bourbons on the spicy side (I'm not a huge wheated bourbon fan) this is a bottle well worth trying and keeping on hand. My cost here in Utah was $35.

Todays photo.

169850718.EIIEwTTw.McKenna_after_the_hun